News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dishes of the days bygone

Started by Martinus, June 27, 2011, 04:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Yeah, you can't get Cheerwine here at all and most people have never even heard of it.  Hmmm... can you get Ale-8 down in Knoxville?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

"Food City" sounds like the grocery store you'd make up for a movie.

...I guess "Bi-Lo" is a pretty fucking terrible name, too.  You just get used to it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

I think "Piggly Wiggly" sounds teh ghey. :)  Kroger FTW. :showoff:

Ideologue

Concur on Piggly-Wiggly.  I think "Food Lion" sounds pretty cool.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Caliga on June 28, 2011, 06:08:08 PM
Yeah, you can't get Cheerwine here at all and most people have never even heard of it.  Hmmm... can you get Ale-8 down in Knoxville?

I haven't seen it.  The big East Tenn. specialty soda is "Dr. Enuf" from Johnson City, which is some kind of old-time tonic from the '40s, tastes like an herbal 7-Up with a bunch of B-vitamins and caffeine in it.  Atlanta soft drinks like Red Rock ginger ale seem common here too, but in the specialty rack.  Cheerwine on the other hand is in the coolers, 12-packs, etc.  Vernon's is common here too, unlike the Northeast.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on June 28, 2011, 06:11:21 PM
I think "Piggly Wiggly" sounds teh ghey. :)

They should rename it Caecilius Metellus Numidicus.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Ideologue on June 28, 2011, 06:09:42 PM
"Food City" sounds like the grocery store you'd make up for a movie.

...I guess "Bi-Lo" is a pretty fucking terrible name, too.  You just get used to it.
The dumbest one I ever encountered was "Price Chopper", which was a chain up in Massachusetts and upstate New York, which of course means it's pronounced "Price CHAWPPAH". :D

Caliga

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 28, 2011, 06:15:00 PM
I haven't seen it.  The big East Tenn. specialty soda is "Dr. Enuf" from Johnson City, which is some kind of old-time tonic from the '40s, tastes like an herbal 7-Up with a bunch of B-vitamins and caffeine in it.  Atlanta soft drinks like Red Rock ginger ale seem common here too, but in the specialty rack.  Cheerwine on the other hand is in the coolers, 12-packs, etc.  Vernon's is common here too, unlike the Northeast.
Never heard of Dr. Enuf, but reading about it on Wiki makes it sound a lot like Ale-8, which is fairly popular around here--it's bottled in Winchester, Ky. out by Lexington.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on June 28, 2011, 06:31:01 PM
The dumbest one I ever encountered was "Price Chopper", which was a chain up in Massachusetts and upstate New York, which of course means it's pronounced "Price CHAWPPAH". :D

They chop prices.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on June 28, 2011, 06:12:47 PM
Concur on Piggly-Wiggly.  I think "Food Lion" sounds pretty cool.

Food Lion used to go by the name "Food Town".

Wish we had a Kroger's around here.  Nearest one's in Greenville (actually, there might be on in Smithfield, which is closer, but both are too far away to go just to go grocery shopping.

Scipio

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 28, 2011, 06:23:43 PM
Quote from: Caliga on June 28, 2011, 06:11:21 PM
I think "Piggly Wiggly" sounds teh ghey. :)

They should rename it Caecilius Metellus Numidicus.
I make this joke all the time.  No one gets it.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maximus

It wouldn't have gone well with the whale blubber, would have been too heavy for the dogsled, and we had no place to keep it in our igloo.

Caliga

The thought of people living as Inuit yet speaking Plattdeutsch amuses me.