Lytro - A revolution in photography, or overhype?

Started by Tonitrus, June 26, 2011, 11:46:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387554,00.asp

www.lytro.com

Exec summary:  The focus point in the composition can be easily manipulated on a computer after the photo is taken (linked article and their homepage let's you manipulate examples).  I.e., change the focus from foreground to background, blurring the opposite, or put the entire picture into focus.

One point they don't make clear, however, is whether or not this only fixes composition focus, and does nothing for motion-blur, or a shaky hand (that latter one would be the true revolution).

CountDeMoney

Slargos

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 26, 2011, 11:52:14 AM
Then it's not really photography, now is it?

It's still collecting light to display a graphic form, so technically, it still fits.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 26, 2011, 01:22:28 PM
It's still collecting light to display a graphic form, so technically, it still fits.

If it's beyond manipulating film with a camera, the light and space of the environs or the developing process in a fucking dark room, it ain't photography.

I smell pretentious Brown University faggot art student bullshit.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 26, 2011, 11:46:32 AM
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2387554,00.asp

www.lytro.com

Exec summary:  The focus point in the composition can be easily manipulated on a computer after the photo is taken (linked article and their homepage let's you manipulate examples).  I.e., change the focus from foreground to background, blurring the opposite, or put the entire picture into focus.

One point they don't make clear, however, is whether or not this only fixes composition focus, and does nothing for motion-blur, or a shaky hand (that latter one would be the true revolution).

I doubt it's that fine.  All the gallery images seem to have trouble with objects that are fairly close in depth.  It mostly seems to pick up a foreground, a background, and sometimes, a middle depth.  Also, the focus doesn't seem super-clear; at best, it seems like an unsharp mask applied to a moderately blurred picture.
Experience bij!

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 26, 2011, 02:44:43 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on June 26, 2011, 01:22:28 PM

If it's beyond manipulating film with a camera, the light and space of the environs or the developing process in a fucking dark room, it ain't photography.

I smell pretentious Brown University faggot art student bullshit.

I smell snotty luddite photo-curmudgeon bullshit.  :)