What if Jews had followed the 'Palestinian Path'? NYT op-ed

Started by Caliga, June 20, 2011, 10:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

Hmm. So what the author is saying is that the Palestinians should return to their homeland too? :hmm:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on June 20, 2011, 02:38:14 PM
Septimania?  That's way less than a third, dude.

I was thinking of drawing the line as about as far as they got.  Tours.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

Quote from: Zoupa on June 20, 2011, 01:39:54 PM
Southern Spain sounds good. There's a historical argument to be made, several centuries old. Sounds good to me.  :)
We already sold most of that to the Brits, though.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Iormlund on June 20, 2011, 06:13:38 PM
Southern Spain sounds good. There's a historical argument to be made, several centuries old. Sounds good to me.  :)
We already sold most of that to the Brits, though.
Oh come on, Gibraltar is not that big :p

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zoupa on June 20, 2011, 02:45:10 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 20, 2011, 02:33:46 PM
Quote from: dps on June 20, 2011, 01:02:48 PM
Obviously not what he meant, but if one isn't familiar with the historical context, you could imagine that he's suggesting that the Palestinians leave the Middle East and carve out a nation for themselves in Euorpe.

Or the Southwestern third of France.

Nice try.  :)

Actually, Southeastern of France for Marseille. I don't want them messing with Bordeaux. I just don't care about pastis

Josquius

err no. Alternate history fail.
These Jews would have been citizens of European countries. The governments would have helped them get back into society. Australia, Canada, the US, etc... would have heavily advertised for mayn of them to move there.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on June 21, 2011, 03:40:25 PM
These Jews would have been citizens of European countries. The governments would have helped them get back into society. Australia, Canada, the US, etc... would have heavily advertised for mayn of them to move there.

Like the Roma?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ideologue

Quote from: Caliga on June 20, 2011, 12:57:04 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on June 20, 2011, 12:46:55 PM
:lol:

So what's the author's point? Palestinians as a people are dumber than Jews?
I read it more like "Jews are a united people, while Muslims are a fractured people, and that is a big reason why the Jews have succeeded and the Palestinians have not."

I wonder if the situation might have resolved itself by now if the PLO had won in Jordan in 1970.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Probably not.  Israel would simply border Iraq and Saudi Arabia.

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on June 21, 2011, 04:36:44 PM

Like the Roma?
Gypsies are voluntary outsiders. They have a reputation historically for crime and all sorts of foul play which can't be so easily brushed aside as stupid superstition as with much of the bad stuff about the Jews.
Jews are wannabe insiders who for religious reasons have been excluded historically. They have a reputation for being good businessmen. In the less crazy parts of the continent they are usually pretty well regarded.
Big difference.

Also of course- governments have tried to integrate the Roma into society. Ranging from Romania's over the top attempts to make them settle and become normal members of society to standard western europe extension of various rights to them and allowing them to get normal jobs if they want.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

:lol:

Real history fail.  Eastern Europe wasn't really interested in getting those Jews back, and the civilized world wasn't interested in adopting all those Eastern barbarians.  Learn your Israeli history.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

These Jews would have been citizens of European countries. The governments would have helped them get back into society.

On what do you base this statement?

JonasSalk

There is absolutely no anti-Semitism in Poland, Russia, and Ukraine today. Tyr is right.
Yuman

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on June 21, 2011, 04:55:00 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 21, 2011, 04:36:44 PM

Like the Roma?
Gypsies are voluntary outsiders. They have a reputation historically for crime and all sorts of foul play which can't be so easily brushed aside as stupid superstition as with much of the bad stuff about the Jews.

These were common accusations directed at Jews in the 19th and early 20th century.

Razgovory

If the Jews had lost the '48 war I imagine they would have migrated to the new world.  The US if possible, but many would have had to settle for South America.  Those that survived of course.  I suspect that the Arabs would have killed a large number of them if they could.  It would have been difficult to go back to Europe and many never had even lived in Europe.