And we're back!

Main Menu

Dutch Muslims & Jews united together

Started by viper37, June 16, 2011, 03:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Neil on June 20, 2011, 10:57:09 AM
Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2011, 10:47:50 AM
Sure, they may very well be that last 1% that pitches a fit and become extra-extra-orthodox-orhtodox. They can prove their faith by becoming vegetarians. :P
Or they could just move to a country where religious freedom isn't tempered by bigotry.

No such place, religious freedom is not absolute anywhere.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2011, 11:02:49 AM
Sure, they may very well be that last 1% that pitches a fit and become extra-extra-orthodox-orhtodox. They can prove their faith by becoming vegetarians. :P
Or they could just move to a country where religious freedom isn't tempered by bigotry.
I have no problem with Jews keeping kosher within the bounds of ethnic Alberta.  Moreover, there's always Israel.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Berkut

Quote from: Neil on June 20, 2011, 11:06:56 AM
I have no problem with Jews keeping kosher within the bounds of ethnic Alberta.  Moreover, there's always Israel.

I don't think anyone in question has any problem with Jews keeping Kosher.

And really, IIRC Israel has all kinds of legal disputes with their Orthodox Jews.

0 rows returned

DGuller

My brother in law moved from Israel to Brooklyn, because Israel wasn't Jewish enough.

dps

Would you agree with the proposition that anti-Semiticism is more common and more extreme in Europe than in the US?

viper37

What is religious freedom?
If it's illegal for an ethnic Albertan to beat his wife, but is considered proper behavior for a non-ethnic Albertan to beat his wife, will you allow it?  What about honor killings?  In some middle east culture, it's better to kill a girl dressing with a mini-skirt than allow her to shame the family.  Is it still religious freedom?

In this case, we have animal cruelty.  A regular slaughterhouse would not be permitted to kill the animals without stunning them, it would be considered animal cruelty.  Why do we  allow others to do that?

I think everyone should observe the same rules, and that's not bigotry, that's simply sending a message that we welcome everyone, so long as they observe our own rules.  It's no more ok to make an animal suffer than to beat your wife because she did not wear a veil. 
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on June 20, 2011, 12:41:17 PM
In this case, we have animal cruelty.  A regular slaughterhouse would not be permitted to kill the animals without stunning them, it would be considered animal cruelty.  Why do we  allow others to do that?
The issue is whether or not the way "others" slaughter animals causes them enough additional suffering to make interference in a religious matter acceptable.

QuoteI think everyone should observe the same rules, and that's not bigotry, that's simply sending a message that we welcome everyone, so long as they observe our own rules. 
I am more than a little bothered by the implications that Jews and Muslims are not part of "us" that is doing the welcoming or not.  "Their" rules are part of "our own rules," believe it or not, because "they" are part of "us."

QuoteIt's no more ok to make an animal suffer than to beat your wife because she did not wear a veil. 
I don't think it is very realistic to ban all "animal suffering" because it is not possible to raise, transport, or slaughter animals without them suffering to some extant.  Black-and-white thinking, alas, will get us nowhere in a debate like this, because the alternative to " mak[ing] an animal suffer" is to have no food animals at all.  Is that truly what you are proposing?  That " to beat your wife because she did not wear a veil" is no worse than operating a cattle farm, railroad, or slaughterhouse?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on June 20, 2011, 01:18:51 PM
I am more than a little bothered by the implications that Jews and Muslims are not part of "us" that is doing the welcoming or not.  "Their" rules are part of "our own rules," believe it or not, because "they" are part of "us."
there are rules against animal cruelty.  What's at stake here, is if we make an exception for people with a particular religion, representing a minority in a given country.

Be it the Netherlands, Canada, or the US, there are rules against animal cruelty.  It's a given that you can't slaughter the animals without stunning them if you are a regular slaughterhouse.

Why an exception to a minority group?

I don't think it is very realistic to ban all "animal suffering" because it is not possible to raise, transport, or slaughter animals without them suffering to some extant.  Black-and-white thinking, alas, will get us nowhere in a debate like this, because the alternative to " mak[ing] an animal suffer" is to have no food animals at all.  Is that truly what you are proposing?  That " to beat your wife because she did not wear a veil" is no worse than operating a cattle farm, railroad, or slaughterhouse?
You can have surgery with anesthesia or without it.  One way is more painful than the other, wich one?
You could cull the cat population in a city by trapping them and setting them on fire, or trapping them, and inject them with a lethal solution.  Wich one is crual, wich one is not?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on June 20, 2011, 02:23:58 PM
there are rules against animal cruelty.  What's at stake here, is if we make an exception for people with a particular religion, representing a minority in a given country.

Be it the Netherlands, Canada, or the US, there are rules against animal cruelty.  It's a given that you can't slaughter the animals without stunning them if you are a regular slaughterhouse.

Why an exception to a minority group?
The entire issue is "is halal or kosher butchering cruel?"  That has not been established.  What exactly does an "animal cruelty" law forbid?  Generally, causing an animal unnecessary or extreme pain.  It hasn't been established yet that halal and/or kosher butchering does this (and, arguably, the world's foremost expert says "no" at least in the case of kosher butchering).  If this was as black-and-white as you make it out to be, there wouldn't even be a debate.

QuoteYou can have surgery with anesthesia or without it.  One way is more painful than the other, wich one?
We aren't talking about surgery here.  Do some research.  The choices aren't between a method that causes animals no discomfort and a method that causes discomfort, it is between two methods, both of which cause discomfort and even pain, but for different reasons.

I'd bet that more animals suffer pain from botched standard slaughtering than from ritual slaughtering, as Dr. Garandin points out.  Do we ban all slaughtering?

QuoteYou could cull the cat population in a city by trapping them and setting them on fire, or trapping them, and inject them with a lethal solution.  Wich one is crual, wich one is not?
An analogy worthy of Marti, but not worthy of response.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

You could cull the cat population in a city by trapping them and setting them on fire, or trapping them, and inject them with a lethal solution.  Wich one is crual, wich one is not?

Are you going to eat the cat afterwards?

Are cats kosher as long as you don't stun them first?

0 rows returned

dps

Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2011, 02:54:57 PM

Pretty sure cats aren't kosher, no matter how you slaughter them.

Don't know what viper would do with a dead cat.

Now if it was The Brain, it'd be necrophilia time.

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on June 20, 2011, 02:52:55 PM
The entire issue is "is halal or kosher butchering cruel?"

That's not true. That's not the extent of the issue in the Netherlands or as discussed here.  I suppose that is the extent of the issue for some participants but certainly not all.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: dps on June 20, 2011, 03:19:06 PM

I'm not dead yet.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2011, 03:38:19 PM

I'm not dead yet.
:lol:

dps

Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2011, 03:38:19 PM

I'm not dead yet.

We can fix that.

I don't think that we need to stun you first.