News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dutch Muslims & Jews united together

Started by viper37, June 16, 2011, 03:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on June 18, 2011, 10:36:33 PM
You at the office on the Sabbath?  tsk tsk.

I am the only jew in Languish that observe shabbat.
You should know that.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Slargos

Quote from: Siege on June 19, 2011, 01:12:50 AM

You should know that.

What about on deployment? Are you allowed to kill Arabs on Shabbat?

Viking

Quote from: Slargos on June 19, 2011, 03:09:05 AM

You should know that.

Damn, beat me to it....
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

You should know that.

Yeah, I was joking.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 18, 2011, 10:34:04 PM
But the analogy doesn't hold because an expert in thte field raises several specific reasons why based on her extensive prior observations, there are good reasons to believe there may indeed be significant differences.  This can be only discounted by reversing the burden of proof. 
An expert in the field mentioned two differences (length of blade and sharpening method) and hypothesized why a longer blade may have made a difference and hypothesized without explanation that the lack of hand-sharpening (if there was a lack of hand-sharpening) "may have had an effect on pain."  She does not question the central results of the study, nor does she claim to have any scientific evidence that her hypotheses may be correct.  She calls for scientific exploration of her hypotheses.

The burden of proof remains on those who want to argue that some changes in the knife and (maybe) sharpening method would produce different results.

QuoteIf your argument is that as a matter of public policy a study like this would be sufficient to support legislation (in the absence of other considerations like interference with free exercise) I would agree, because policy is often made based on evidence that is objectively weak or flawed from a scientific perspective.  But you seem to be making a stronger argument about this about the strength of this study's results as applied to a materially different context.
My argument is that the scientific evidence is that cows and lambs suffer more from slaughter without stunning than slaughter with stunning.  I make no recommendations for laws based on this.

What I find more interesting, actually, is the insistence of the ritual slaughter adherents that they must be excluded from the law on a religious basis, when an outsider would look at the religious issue in question and quickly conclude that the religious slaughter community is going to have a lot to answer for to their deity, given that they insist that the primary rationale of their method is to respect the animal and cause it no pain.  The trumpeting of those who argued that halal slaughter caused less pain than traditional slaughter has been silenced, as even Dr. Grandin agrees.  If, as they claimed when the evidence was on their side, those arguing for the halal exception to animal cruelty considered animal pain to be an important part of the discussion, the must now concede that the animal pain issue now calls for them to adopt pre-slaughter (or immediate post-cut) stunning - as indeed, many Muslims do.

But I think this is a debate for the religious committee in the short run.  In the longer run, legislatures will surely announce their intentions to abolish the exceptions for religious slaughter, and I hope those who want to retain the exception have in the meantime funded scientific research to validate one of Dr. Grandin's hypotheses - else there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth made worse by me telling them "I told you so!"  :D
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on June 17, 2011, 01:01:15 PM
The one thing this thread makes clear (besides the canadian moral superiority that i mentioned earlier) is that i really want to be a ninja rabbi. Guess first i gotta become a jew first. does adult circumcision hurt a lot?

Not too late to point out that you can get ninja throat slitting kills by rediscovering the good ol' matança do porco  :contract:

PS: seems nicer this way;)

Siege

Quote from: Slargos on June 19, 2011, 03:09:05 AM

You should know that.

Of course. War ain't violation of Shabbat.

Siege

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 19, 2011, 03:06:26 PM
The one thing this thread makes clear (besides the canadian moral superiority that i mentioned earlier) is that i really want to be a ninja rabbi. Guess first i gotta become a jew first. does adult circumcision hurt a lot?

Not too late to point out that you can get ninja throat slitting kills by rediscovering old-fashioned matança do porco  :contract:

:lol:  So unkosher.

Funny how easy to understand is Portuguese.

PDH

You know, I have thought long and hard about this issues.  My conclusion is simple: since it is the Euroweenies who are all upset about this, the religious nuts must be correct.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 19, 2011, 03:06:26 PM

Not too late to point out that you can get ninja throat slitting kills by rediscovering old-fashioned matança do porco  :contract:
my grand dad was a pig crastrator. Perhaps knife skills pass down through generations?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Weijun

Why is it that no one has mentioned that these laws are a flagrant violation of property rights?  Perhaps if public health is an issue (especially the spread of infectious disease), then there could be some justification for the government limiting what people do with their private property.  However, restricting property rights just because of the religious beliefs of Gaia worshipers and PETA fanatics is a completely unjustified assault on human rights. 

Whether the way I slaughter cattle is "humane" is no more the government's business than if I smash my TV because the home team lost.

grumbler

Quote from: Weijun on June 19, 2011, 10:43:31 PM
Why is it that no one has mentioned that these laws are a flagrant violation of property rights?  Perhaps if public health is an issue (especially the spread of infectious disease), then there could be some justification for the government limiting what people do with their private property.  However, restricting property rights just because of the religious beliefs of Gaia worshipers and PETA fanatics is a completely unjustified assault on human rights. 

Whether the way I slaughter cattle is "humane" is no more the government's business than if I smash my TV because the home team lost.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Weijun

Quote from: grumbler on June 19, 2011, 10:50:55 PM
Quote from: Weijun on June 19, 2011, 10:43:31 PM

Alright, try it a different way.  Why should the law treat animals as anything other than chattel property?  Is not all "animals rights" legislation necessarily religious (including secular religions) in intent?

The Brain

Quote from: Weijun on June 19, 2011, 11:20:25 PM
Is not all "animals rights" legislation necessarily religious (including secular religions) in intent?

This is easy to answer: no.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

LaCroix

Quote from: WeijunWhy should the law treat animals as anything other than chattel property?

http://www.grandin.com/welfare/animals.are.not.things.html