Question about voting in popular elections

Started by Martinus, June 16, 2011, 09:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

When making a decision whether to vote for a candidate A from party X in parliamentary elections, do you also take into account that party X is running (elsewhere) a candidate that you despise?

Yes (UK, US, Canada, Australia)
4 (12.5%)
No (UK, US, Canada, Australia)
19 (59.4%)
Yes (EU)
1 (3.1%)
No (EU)
4 (12.5%)
Yes (ROTW)
0 (0%)
No (ROTW)
3 (9.4%)
No elections in my country (Mono option)
1 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 32

garbon

I said yes but I didn't understand the question. :Embarrass:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

BuddhaRhubarb

I vote for the person I think will best serve my community, their party affiliation or future co-workers means very little to me.
:p

Josquius

Not really. I vote for policies and parties, not so much candidates.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Norgy

The PR system here rather makes the party ticket what you vote for in national elections. Municipal elections are somewhat different, and I have considered voting for a party that I despise because of a candidate that I find interesting. However, back a few years ago, you could add a personal vote for a candidate on another ticket. The system was rather confusing, apparently, but at least there was an illusion of influence.

I'd like less party politics on the municipal level, as national issues too often poison the whole affair. Since there's only so much you can actually do at that level, seeking broad support and building compromise are better than arguing irrelevant principles across the aisles.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

In federal elections, of course.  It really doesn't matter how good of a person a Republican candidate for Senate is these days, party discipline in his party would force him to vote along with the scum I find utterly distasteful, both on personal and ideological levels.  In state and local elections, where party lines are more blurred and more attuned to the local conditions, individuals matter a lot more.

MadImmortalMan

Disagree. Doesn't matter how good a party's policies are if their dudes are gonna tweet their junk.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 16, 2011, 01:40:25 PM
Disagree. Doesn't matter how good a party's policies are if their dudes are gonna tweet their junk.
I disagree.  Some bozo holding his junk doesn't impact me in any way.  Some bozo voting to keep healthcare fucked up does.

MadImmortalMan

Yeah but the guy who tweeted his junk was the guy you voted for. But now he's tweeted his junk and has to resign and be replaced by who the fuck knows.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers