Pakistan arrests C.I.A. informants in bin Laden raid

Started by jimmy olsen, June 14, 2011, 10:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2011, 06:17:35 AM
Back to the topic at hand, rather than a retarded-comment-in-response-to-racist-quip-turned-into-a-AI-nerd-circle-jerk this thread has become, I don't see anything wrong per se with Pakistan arresting the informants - you never want your own military personnel selling state secrets to foreign powers, even if they are your allies.

The Pakistanis' fault lies in not cooperating at the government/agency level, but can't blame them for rooting out traitors.

I can blame them very much for considering Bin Laden's location a state secret.

Slargos

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 15, 2011, 06:37:20 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2011, 06:17:35 AM
Back to the topic at hand, rather than a retarded-comment-in-response-to-racist-quip-turned-into-a-AI-nerd-circle-jerk this thread has become, I don't see anything wrong per se with Pakistan arresting the informants - you never want your own military personnel selling state secrets to foreign powers, even if they are your allies.

The Pakistanis' fault lies in not cooperating at the government/agency level, but can't blame them for rooting out traitors.

I can blame them very much for considering Bin Laden's location a state secret.

Oh yes. They should give up the location of a man who will be murdered by Americans when you find him.  :rolleyes:

They knew he would never see a court room.

The Brain

:huh: The US wouldn't mind Pakistani forces going into America and killing guys.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Why are people surprised that OBL was staying at a government safe house ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on June 15, 2011, 06:43:05 AM
:huh: The US wouldn't mind Pakistani forces going into America and killing guys.

We let the Chileans do it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: mongers on June 15, 2011, 06:48:16 AM
Why are people surprised that OBL was staying at a government safe house ?

It's more a case of us being surprised that we haven't started bombing the ISI headquarters.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on June 15, 2011, 01:11:35 AM
One day, Slargos, I hope someone drops you in to the middle of the 9th Century in whatever shithole Scandinavian country you come from, just to teach you a lesson in the lunacy of presuming your racial superiority over peoples who were inventing Algebra while your shit for brains ancestors were gutting men for Odin.

Yeah seeing a 100% Viking white Scandinavia will really break Slarg's heart.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on June 15, 2011, 07:48:29 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on June 15, 2011, 01:11:35 AM
One day, Slargos, I hope someone drops you in to the middle of the 9th Century in whatever shithole Scandinavian country you come from, just to teach you a lesson in the lunacy of presuming your racial superiority over peoples who were inventing Algebra while your shit for brains ancestors were gutting men for Odin.

Yeah seeing a 100% Viking white Scandinavia will really break Slarg's heart.

But who will he blame for rampant poverty and violence?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

KRonn

Lol.. Pakistan should have been just as quick to arrest bin Laden and his cronies as they were in going after these guys! What a farce.

I hope the Pakistanis enjoy holding onto that tiger's tail of radicalism that some segments of their government seems to support. I'm sure it won't bite the hand that feeds it!    <_<

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2011, 06:24:09 AM
Geez. I thought Languish was above topics like "If you were transported 1200 years in the past, how fast would you teach the natives to build a nuke". Seriously.  :rolleyes:

If we're not above discussing your love life, we're not above discussing anything. Not that a theoretical discussion about historical development is inferior in any way to the n-thousandth thread about current events in the Middle East.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 15, 2011, 07:53:57 AM
But who will he blame for rampant poverty and violence?

Christian Missionaries.   Damn immigrants.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zeus

Quote from: DGuller on June 15, 2011, 03:16:25 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 15, 2011, 01:45:42 AM
Is that really true though? Do you understand modern technologies well enough for you to recreate them, or 9th century Vikings(you'd be better off in Byzantium methinks) to reverse engineer them?

I think most people(well most educated people) could punch out a bunch of major theoretical break-throughs(gravity, gene theory, heliocentrism, bits and pieces of the calculus, etc) but wouldn't be able to do much with those- it would still fall to 9th century scientists to figure out a use for them.

I think Twain's Connecticut Yankee had far more success in recreating his world than is realistically possible(accepting for a moment the possibility of time travel itself).
Technological knowledge is self-accelerating, though.  Seed the 9th century people with enough of what you know, and they'll take what you know and run with it.  The biggest challenge would be to ensure that 9th century place you wind up in will have the educational and research infrastructure in place.

Actually the biggest challenge would be trying to convince your stomach to adapt to digesting the local foods.  :secret:
To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Zeus on June 15, 2011, 10:33:06 AM
Quote from: DGuller on June 15, 2011, 03:16:25 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 15, 2011, 01:45:42 AM
Is that really true though? Do you understand modern technologies well enough for you to recreate them, or 9th century Vikings(you'd be better off in Byzantium methinks) to reverse engineer them?

I think most people(well most educated people) could punch out a bunch of major theoretical break-throughs(gravity, gene theory, heliocentrism, bits and pieces of the calculus, etc) but wouldn't be able to do much with those- it would still fall to 9th century scientists to figure out a use for them.

I think Twain's Connecticut Yankee had far more success in recreating his world than is realistically possible(accepting for a moment the possibility of time travel itself).
Technological knowledge is self-accelerating, though.  Seed the 9th century people with enough of what you know, and they'll take what you know and run with it.  The biggest challenge would be to ensure that 9th century place you wind up in will have the educational and research infrastructure in place.

Actually the biggest challenge would be trying to convince your stomach to adapt to digesting the local foods.  :secret:
bad case of touristas I guess :D

Razgovory

Hell, the US invaded a 9th century country back in 2003 and still hasn't been able to uplift it.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on June 15, 2011, 11:29:32 AM
Hell, the US invaded a 9th century country back in 2003 and still hasn't been able to uplift it.
:pinch: