Republican Presidential Candidate Debate on CNN

Started by Jacob, June 14, 2011, 10:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Since this is thread about insane Republicans, this might as well go here.  Romney, while talking to a bunch of unemployed people, joked that he is unemployed as well. :pinch:  Good timing.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on June 17, 2011, 12:06:40 PM
Since this is thread about insane Republicans, this might as well go here.  Romney, while talking to a bunch of unemployed people, joked that he is unemployed as well. :pinch:  Good timing.

Wasn't Romney a hatchet-man?  I seem to recall that he was in the business of making people unemployed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 16, 2011, 02:02:28 PMIt is merely the minimum an employer can get away with.

There's another name for that. Market value. In most places, it's actually higher than the minimum wage law says it should be. Which more or less renders the minimum wage inoperative.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

That doesn't make the matters better for him in the eyes of the voters, although to be honest, what he did in the business world shouldn't be held against him. 

If all he did was lay off redundant positions, then it's a job that has to be done.  You don't reduce unemployment by preventing the firing of unneeded workers, if anything you increase it in the long run.

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 17, 2011, 12:36:26 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 16, 2011, 02:02:28 PMIt is merely the minimum an employer can get away with.

There's another name for that. Market value. In most places, it's actually higher than the minimum wage law says it should be. Which more or less renders the minimum wage inoperative.
Market values are not automatically magic, although the burden of proof should be on those claiming that markets fail.  Market values work well when supply and demand curves are sufficiently elastic, and when people have the freedom to choose.  Being saddled with the need to eat and have shelter kind of removes some of the freedom to choose.

MadImmortalMan

That's why in shitty places like Alabama people actually do make the minimum wage.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on June 17, 2011, 12:16:40 PM
Wasn't Romney a hatchet-man?  I seem to recall that he was in the business of making people unemployed.
Not really.  Bain Capital is a private equity firm.  Getting rid of dead weight is an integral part of M&A but I doubt Romney was involved in that himself, except when it came to C-level dudes.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 17, 2011, 12:45:48 PM
That's why in shitty places like Alabama people actually do make the minimum wage.
:yes:

We have ~46,000 employees and a large number of them in states like West Virginia, Georgia, Alabama, etc. do make federal/state mandated minimum.  OTOH our operations in Washington state and New Jersey pay their field workers significantly more.

Want to guess which state operations have larger profit margins? :)

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on June 17, 2011, 01:10:54 PM

The ones where all the jobs were moved to third world countries?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2011, 01:12:19 PM
Quote from: Caliga on June 17, 2011, 01:10:54 PM

Alabama was my guess as well.

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 17, 2011, 12:36:26 PM

You cut out the part about it applying to essentially powerless employees where the usual market forces dont really apply.  I suppose market forces for the most low end jobs might come into play if the unemployment rate is such that employers cant get enough of such employees - such a situation did exist for a time in Northern Alberta during the various oil booms it has experienced.  But in times of high unemployment there is no end of such workers and so a minimum wage is required to protect them.

So you are correct that in good times a minimum wage rate may not be necessary but it is certainly necessary in bad times.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on June 17, 2011, 01:12:19 PM
Unfortunately that sort of work can't be outsourced. :(

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Berkut on June 16, 2011, 03:04:20 PM
I am a "bad" one as well, but mainly just because I suspect it doesn't really matter. It probably has some minimal effect on unemployment at the low ends, but probably doesn't do enough harm to justify the trouble of getting rid of it.

It has a minimal effect at most because employers will look at is as just another cost of doing business and pass it along to their customers directly or indirectly.  Raising the minimum wage probably pushes inflation up more than it does unemployment.  Which of course ultimately defeats the purpose of raising it in the first place.

Caliga

Yeah, that's why I like the idea of having a minimum wage but don't think it makes sense to adjust it much.  Of course, raising the minimum wage has nothing to do with economic realities and everything to do with trying to buy votes when the perception is there that votes need to be bought.