And we're back!

Main Menu

A Dance With Dragons

Started by Viking, June 13, 2011, 10:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 13, 2011, 06:03:34 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 13, 2011, 05:54:38 PM
What fantasy series would you recommend?

Office of Management and Budget, Federal Budgetary Projections, 2001 - present.

Great mix of sorcery and horror with each serial presenting a cliffhanger ending.  Only downside is like Martin, it probably won't come to resolution before the bloated creature keels over.

I don't have time for more forlorn hopes as far as my reading goes.  I will stick to reading things like The Wages of Destruction that have good endings.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Siege on June 13, 2011, 06:15:37 PM
Can Jon be a legal son of Rhaegar rather than his bastard?
Is there any way, according to Westeros laws, that Rhaegar could have married Lyanna before giving birth?

No.  Rhaegar already had a wife and I suspect bigamy is just as unacceptable in Westeros as it is outside of Utah and your neck of the woods.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 13, 2011, 06:03:34 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 13, 2011, 05:54:38 PM
What fantasy series would you recommend?

Office of Management and Budget, Federal Budgetary Projections, 2001 - present.

Great mix of sorcery and horror with each serial presenting a cliffhanger ending.  Only downside is like Martin, it probably won't come to resolution before the bloated creature keels over.
:D
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

HisMajestyBOB

I highly recommend the Dresden Files series. It's an urban fantasy series, but well-written, and the author reliably puts out a new book each year.
It's currently on book 13 of about 20.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Slargos

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on June 13, 2011, 06:39:15 PM
I highly recommend the Dresden Files series. It's an urban fantasy series, but well-written, and the author reliably puts out a new book each year.
It's currently on book 13 of about 20.

Sounds like Supernatural:hmm:

Josquius

Urban fantasy....I'm really not big on modern fantasy....Has just never done it for me in book form for some reason.
Though I should read more fantasy....

China Mieville is rather good. I imagine particularly so if you're a big city person.

QuoteNo.  Rhaegar already had a wife and I suspect bigamy is just as unacceptable in Westeros as it is outside of Utah and your neck of the woods.
Maybe he married Liana in secret before her...maybe Dani is the bastard.

And of course the Targs have done polygamy in the past.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

Quote from: Tyr on June 13, 2011, 07:58:02 PM
Maybe he married Liana in secret before her...maybe Dani is the bastard.

:huh:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Forget it, just checked and got the timeline wrong.
██████
██████
██████

Maximus

Quote from: Tyr on June 13, 2011, 07:58:02 PM

And of course the Targs have done polygamy in the past.
Although this is quite true. Along with incest. The rules of marriage didn't seem to apply to them, probably because they had dragons.

Viking

Quote from: Habbaku on June 13, 2011, 06:24:15 PM
Quote from: Siege on June 13, 2011, 06:15:37 PM
Can Jon be a legal son of Rhaegar rather than his bastard?
Is there any way, according to Westeros laws, that Rhaegar could have married Lyanna before giving birth?

No.  Rhaegar already had a wife and I suspect bigamy is just as unacceptable in Westeros as it is outside of Utah and your neck of the woods.

hmm the Targaryens seem to ignore Westerosi customs, Aegon the Conqueror did marry BOTH his sisters.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

viper37

Jesus, that guy is slow.  They're waiting for GRR to finish a part of his next book to include in the paperback version of this one.  It was supposed to be released in May.  Then August.  Now, it's for March 2013. :glare: :bleeding:

I'll have to revise my whole reading strategy.  No more Star Wars Books post-Yavin to read, no more Song of Ice and Fire, well, I'll have to do something else of my spare time.  Maybe I'll finish all those games I started.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Queequeg on August 23, 2012, 07:14:21 PM
You're useless, Siege.

Not at all. I was going through the thread thinking "needs Miley pics" and he saved the rest of us the trouble of googling and posting them. :thumbsup:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Alcibiades

Could use a ban for that one  <_<
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain