News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Witnessed my first Kolobanov game.  The enemy had just at IS left, while we had 5 left.  To my credit, I saw that IS get a Kolobanov a mile away.  I tried to warn my team, but they decided to all rush the cap in a disorganized manner, and none of the tanks individually could stand up to it.  I was right.

Strix

Quote from: DGuller on February 18, 2013, 12:59:41 AM
Witnessed my first Kolobanov game.  The enemy had just at IS left, while we had 5 left.  To my credit, I saw that IS get a Kolobanov a mile away.  I tried to warn my team, but they decided to all rush the cap in a disorganized manner, and none of the tanks individually could stand up to it.  I was right.

I had never heard of this before, nice piece of history.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

DGuller

This isn't a game question, but just some random thought that occurred to me.  Why did the Germans convert some of the Soviet tanks they captured for their own use?  I would think that the cost of retrofitting and maintaining a completely unfamiliar beast like a KV-1 would be prohibitive, and how well can a German crew used to German controls and crew comfort fight in a Soviet tank?  The only advantage I can think of is using the captured tank for infiltration purposes, but that kind of goes out the window when you paint it gray and put a cross on it.

Syt

My guess: you can have either no tank or a handful enemy tanks (with a couple of them designated as source for spare parts). What do you choose?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on February 19, 2013, 09:17:45 AM
My guess: you can have either no tank or a handful enemy tanks (with a couple of them designated as source for spare parts). What do you choose?
But it's not like you can just get in and go in the enemy tank, it's not like an enemy rifle that you can just pick up from the dead enemy.  They seemed to have required a lot of retrofitting, which must've used up resources.

Syt

Question is: more resources than having a bunch of new tanks sent from the Reich to the Steppes?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

I dont think they did much, if any "retrofitting".

It was mostly simply a matter of capturing substantial numbers of perfectly operating equipment due to the huge encirclements, and deciding that they should make use of it.

The Germans, IIRC, actually started manufacturing Soviet 76mm artillery ammunition they captured so many 76mm howitzers.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

And it's not like tanks from different nationalities were alien technology and would take major efforts to use it; in the end, they all have the same basic components.

Rasputin

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2013, 03:40:07 PM
And it's not like tanks from different nationalities were alien technology and would take major efforts to use it; in the end, they all have the same basic components.

correct; it's like the difference between a russian woman or a german woman...once you break them open like a shotgun, the parts are basically the same.
Who is John Galt?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Rasputin on February 21, 2013, 10:08:28 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2013, 03:40:07 PM

correct; it's like the difference between a russian woman or a german woman...once you break them open like a shotgun, the parts are basically the same.

Disturbing, but correct, metaphor.

C.C.R.

Quote from: katmai on February 13, 2013, 08:18:19 PM
Tankers!

All of our tankers are important to us, we want everyone to to feel special for Valentine's Day. Starting now, you'll be able to activate this single use bonus code for one free day of Premium Time. Happy Valentine's Day!

Code becomes active: 16:00 PST (00:00 UTC the next day) on February 13, 2013

Code expires: 15:59 PST (23:59 UTC) on March 1, 2013

All you'll need to do is visit the World of Tanks home page, sign in, and use the drop-down menu that appears on your name to enter this code:
ANTHEM

Enter the code using only CAPS. If you need more information on how to activate this code, please read these instructions.

Think that I'm finally going to cash this in tomorrow (Saturday) - Wifey is taking Weiner #1 to a Girl Scout Thingy in the sprawling metropolis of Peoria, Illinois tomorrow & I'm home all day with Weiner #2.  Will probably crack open a 55 gallon drum of fruit snacks for her, plop a cooler of beer & an empty 5 gallon bucket next to the computer for me & proceed to Grind The Fuck Out Of Shit all day...

:ccr

Berkut

Good time, since there will still be the 5x XP for the first win each day.

0 rows returned

C.C.R.

Quote from: Berkut on February 22, 2013, 02:22:07 PM
Good time, since there will still be the 5x XP for the first win each day.

Yep.   ;)

In fact, think I'm going to Shut It Down this afternoon before Daily Doubles (Quintuples) start & just hit them all tomorrow morning after activating the one day of Premium.  Hawks-Sharks are on tonight, anyways, and want to get a nap in late this afternoon -- both for the hockey game & so I can see Wifey when she gets home from work tonight...

1st item on The Agenda tomorrow:  grind the fuck out of my Tiger II so that I can elite it & shitcan it.  The thing has just been irking me lately.  I need about 30k xp to research the E-75, which is pretty doable with a day of Premium.  Also need to finish off my AMX 40 so that I can buy the ELC while it's half off & grind the fucker with the +70% special.  It's just soooooo painful, though...

:ccr

Berkut

Worthy of a bit of bragging:

Victory! Map:  Fisherman's Bay Monday, February 25, 2013 4:18:05 AM
Vehicle: Cromwell
Exp: 12,180 (x5) + Credits: 54,417 (Compensation: 270)
Achievements: : Radley-Walters's Medal, Top Gun, Master Gunner, Sharpshooter, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

Kills (Damage done):
Covenanter (224)
M4 (211)
M7 (440)
VK3601H(635)
KV-1(66)
KV-1(640)
KV-1s(542)
KV-2 (576)

35 shots fired, 29 hits, 27 pens for 3629 damage

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16125366/20130225_0418_Cromwell_12kXP_8kills.wotreplay

0 rows returned

Rasputin

Quote from: Berkut on February 25, 2013, 04:33:32 AM
Worthy of a bit of bragging:

Victory! Map:  Fisherman's Bay Monday, February 25, 2013 4:18:05 AM
Vehicle: Cromwell
Exp: 12,180 (x5) + Credits: 54,417 (Compensation: 270)
Achievements: : Radley-Walters's Medal, Top Gun, Master Gunner, Sharpshooter, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

Kills (Damage done):
Covenanter (224)
M4 (211)
M7 (440)
VK3601H(635)
KV-1(66)
KV-1(640)
KV-1s(542)
KV-2 (576)

35 shots fired, 29 hits, 27 pens for 3629 damage

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16125366/20130225_0418_Cromwell_12kXP_8kills.wotreplay

Holy moly that's a battle. How'd you do it?
Who is John Galt?