News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Well. I think I've finally gotten the hang of proper angling.

The King Tiger is an awesome tank and almost handles like a medium if treated correctly.

New: Favourite. :w00t:

Syt

I read a bit about the A-20 yesterday. So it's pretty common to be thrown into battles with other tanks all 3, 4 tiers above you, who have almost as good visibility (so scouting ability is limited), and if they as much look as you angrily your tank explodes. I guess I will need to elite other tanks and convert free XP to go through that stage. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

The A-20 is not much different from any other light. And its ability to scout is just fine - you get creds and xps for spotting other units, doesn't matter if they spot you.

I don't know if YOU do this, but one thing I notice a lot of scouts doing is not using terrain to mask their movement. Stay low, stay off of hills, and for gods sake don't run along crest lines!

It really doesn't matter if you are in a battle with tanks 5 tiers above you or 2 tiers above you - you are in a light tank. Its not like you won't get blown away if you run into a medium or heavy no matter how many tiers above you they are. You just have to stay out of their line of fire as much as possible.

I've never used the A-20 myself, is it a lot slower than the other T3 lights?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Slargos

What Berkut said.

As long as you understand (and it seems a lot of people don't) that your role as a light in anything but a battle against mostly other lights is to spot for the heavies, TDs and SPGs you can do important work. In fact, I'd say you could even go into battle without ammo for all the good it will do you. The only time you should even shoot is when you're able to sneak up on a SPG.

Whenever I see a light hiding behind heavies in the line, I get an insatiable urge to kill them.

Stonewall

The A-20 is not slower.  It feels like it has worse acceleration, performance on inclines and less maneuverability.  I would take (and thoroughly enjoyed) my Pz.III as a scout over the A-20 anyday of the week even though it is a tad bit slower at top speed.  The guns on the A-20 also make it a horrible artillery killed.  No howitzer type gun like the Pz.III or Stuarts.
"I'd just like to say that most of us begin life suckling on a breast. If we're lucky we end life suckling on a breast. So anybody who's against breasts is against life itself."

Syt

Well, yes, I understand scouting. However, I'm put into battles where I'm the only T4 among loads of T7/T8, some of which have as much visibility as I do.

If a heavy T8 is camped and camouflaged I'm dead without knowing what hit me.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

Quote from: Syt on July 29, 2011, 10:53:00 AM
Well, yes, I understand scouting. However, I'm put into battles where I'm the only T4 among loads of T7/T8, some of which have as much visibility as I do.

If a heavy T8 is camped and camouflaged I'm dead without knowing what hit me.

Yeah, but if a medium T4 is camped and camoed you are still dead without knowing what hit you. Or more relevantly, a T4 TD, which is actually likely to be camped and camoed. You are still dead if they hit you.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

Yes.

In 6 battles with my A-20 so far I've only once been in a battle with other T4, otherwise with King Tigers, IS etc. My point is that with the A-20 you have to get close enough to the heavies that you've got a very good chance to be in their FOV as well whicn bodes very badly for survivability.
—Stephen Jay Gould

frunk

Man, the Grille's base gun sucks.  Less damage than the Wespe, less range, worse accuracy and it turns slower too.  The only advantages are the higher rate of fire and slightly better penetration.

On the other hand the upgraded gun rocks even with the significantly lower rate of fire and the way expensive ammunition.

Slargos

Quote from: Syt on July 29, 2011, 11:27:29 AM
Yes.

In 6 battles with my A-20 so far I've only once been in a battle with other T4, otherwise with King Tigers, IS etc. My point is that with the A-20 you have to get close enough to the heavies that you've got a very good chance to be in their FOV as well whicn bodes very badly for survivability.

I suspect that the ranking system works differently for T3+ lights than it does for heavies since they can perform their scout role regardless if the opposition is T5 or T10 heavies and TDs. A T5 heavy is just mince meat in a matchup with T10s and it's a rare exception to see them matched together (though I do see the occasional T6 in those battles it's mainly T7+ and I can't recall ever having been placed in a battle with a T10 in my T5-) and I expect research into the matter on the forums or the faq/wiki would reveal as much.

Syt

Well, I've increased my survivability somewhat (and matchmaking has been a bit kinder). If I'm in a high tier match with the A-20, I stick with a group of heavies/mediums, hanging on their flanks or taking point and hauling ass once I've painted a target or two (or, in one unfortunate and deadly instance, five  :blush: ).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Slargos

Quote from: Syt on July 29, 2011, 12:58:30 PM
Well, I've increased my survivability somewhat (and matchmaking has been a bit kinder). If I'm in a high tier match with the A-20, I stick with a group of heavies/mediums, hanging on their flanks or taking point and hauling ass once I've painted a target or two (or, in one unfortunate and deadly instance, five  :blush: ).

You're still doing it wrong, if you're successfully increasing your survivability. Ideally, it would be closing on 0%.  :hmm:

Syt

Quote from: Slargos on July 29, 2011, 01:00:00 PM

You're still doing it wrong, if you're successfully increasing your survivability. Ideally, it would be closing on 0%.  :hmm:

By increasing survivability I mean not dying after spotting one enemy or going on suicide runs.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Slargos

Quote from: Syt on July 29, 2011, 01:14:56 PM
Quote from: Slargos on July 29, 2011, 01:00:00 PM

By increasing survivability I mean not dying after spotting one enemy or going on suicide runs.

Oh. Very well. Carry on then. You're doing God's work.  :D

Syt

A typical matchup with an A-20:
—Stephen Jay Gould