News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Syt on July 22, 2011, 11:14:15 PM
The idea was to bring the SU-76 to elite status so I can carry over the XP from it when the SU-85 is, uhm, out. No good idea?

Not sure what you mean - once a tank is elite, any further xp earned with that tank can be transferred to free xp, for gold.

But once you start using the SU-85B, would you really go back and keep playing the SU-76B? If not, there is no real reason to take it to elite status.

The one good reason to get the radio researched is that it might be easier getting that 4090 XP in the Tier 3 TD rather than the T4 TD. And the radio is common to them both. In fact, you are going to use that radio throught the T6 I think.

But a radio is not really a critical piece of equipment for a TD. And the radio costs 4k to research, while the SU-85B is less than 3k. Unless you are just having a blast playing the -76 and don't really want ot move to the -85, I would go to the -85 and research the radio then.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Slargos

Man I hate playing stock tanks.  :frusty:

Tiger 2: 12 matches, 2 victories.

Granted, I always overestimate the armour of my new heavy tanks given how I've been suffering from them playing lighter tanks, but it seems I need to get into a new groove every time I upgrade. I got the short 10.5 and new tracks immediately, but it really hurts to not have the upgraded turret and the long 10.5.

Slargos

Oh hoh hoh. I love it.

A wolfpack of mediums, 2 DBs, a Panther II, a Patton and a T-44 just swarmed over a JagdTiger, 2 Løwe, a DB and an IS. Came out of it with one casualty.

Me.  <_<

But I ran point, and got everyone to point their guns at me for the crucial 20 seconds it took to swarm them. :yeah:

DGuller

Blowing all my free experience piggy bank on the long 88 seems to have been worth it.  While I still get pulverized as if I'm a Paper Tiger, which is I think is a bit ahistorical, at least I regularly take 2 tanks with me.

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on July 23, 2011, 05:33:40 PM
Blowing all my free experience piggy bank on the long 88 seems to have been worth it.  While I still get pulverized as if I'm a Paper Tiger, which is I think is a bit ahistorical, at least I regularly take 2 tanks with me.

That is for damn sure.

The Tiger can't play its historical role as spearhead tank, but what it can do is deal good damage at range. Look at it as a heavy TD and you'll get better results. Don't enter CQB unless you really have to.

Don't forget to Elite it. It really needs the engine upgrades.

The reasoning from the devs is pretty irritating. They can state "it's not a simulation" and "historically, this is how it looked" almost in the same damn sentence. The end result typically seems to be that the armour and penetration/damage of German tanks is ridiculous. The accuracy frankly doesn't make up for it. In a long range duel with an IS-X it doesn't really matter that his precision is ~5-10% worse since the majority of shots will land close to the center of the reticle anyway.

DGuller

I'm definitely playing it as TD, and I'm staying out of any areas where I might encounter enemy up close.  I even put both coated optics and telescope on it, as well as camo.  The amusing side effect is that I can now spot some enemy tanks on the other side of Campinovka, which is a huge advantage if you got smart arty on your team.

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on July 23, 2011, 05:46:29 PM
I'm definitely playing it as TD, and I'm staying out of any areas where I might encounter enemy up close.  I even put both coated optics and telescope on it, as well as camo.  The amusing side effect is that I can now spot some enemy tanks on the other side of Campinovka, which is a huge advantage if you got smart arty on your team.

Really? That sounds pretty useful.

I would drop the camo though. Get ventilation instead. Or what'sitsname. The +5% skill.

Camo isn't cumulative, the bonus is a multiplier for your base camo value which AFAIK isn't very high for the german heavies.

DGuller

Is there a sight more beautiful than the huge, exposed undercarriage of a big, bad tank?  :) :mmm:

DGuller

Quote from: Slargos on July 23, 2011, 06:09:01 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 23, 2011, 05:46:29 PM

Really? That sounds pretty useful.

I would drop the camo though. Get ventilation instead. Or what'sitsname. The +5% skill.

Camo isn't cumulative, the bonus is a multiplier for your base camo value which AFAIK isn't very high for the german heavies.
I might do that.  I put on the camo because I didn't have any other unused equipment available.  Eventually I'll get something more useful.

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on July 23, 2011, 06:13:46 PM
Is there a sight more beautiful than the huge, exposed undercarriage of a big, bad tank?  :) :mmm:

:D

I've probably mentioned it before, but in the top three most memorable moments of this game, I one-shot an IS-4 (might've been a 3, I forget, so maybe not THAT memorable, or I'm just engaging in sub-conscious hilarity inflation) as it was cresting a hill. Clipped his ammo and POOF.

Guy ranted for several minutes.  :D

DGuller

First time ever I tried to fire a shot in the dark.  It was El Haluf map, so there are plenty of obvious camping spots.  I looked at one of the narrow spots between two sharp hills, though to myself "hmm, that's a good camping spots, I wonder if someone just like me is camping there", and fired my 107 SU-85 gun.  Half a second later one of the enemy arties pops up with a dark spot over it.  :menace:

Berkut

Did you get the kill?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Slargos

If he hit it, he got it.

I don't think I've ever made a kill out of chance shots into likely locations (although I usually like to lob a grenade into the TD camper spot in Ensk, which sometimes connects), though I've gotten a lot of prediction kills after I've lost sight of an opponent but placed a shot where I think he'll reposition to. Granted, I am wary of placing those kinds of shots since I usually run with pretty expensive ammo. A few wasted shots in a match without many hits can mean the difference between a net gain or loss of credits.

DGuller

DGuller

Quote from: Slargos on July 23, 2011, 06:56:00 PM
I don't think I've ever made a kill out of chance shots into likely locations (although I usually like to lob a grenade into the TD camper spot in Ensk, which sometimes connects), though I've gotten a lot of prediction kills after I've lost sight of an opponent but placed a shot where I think he'll reposition to. Granted, I am wary of placing those kinds of shots since I usually run with pretty expensive ammo. A few wasted shots in a match without many hits can mean the difference between a net gain or loss of credits.
That I do all the time, and I've gotten a lot of kills like that.  But I've never fired into a space hoping to hit someone who wasn't even spotted yet.