News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Pointer for leveling.

One of the toughest things to do is get XP out of a brand new vehicle. You've moved up a Tier, which means you are going to be fighting against tougher opponenets, yet your vehicle is likely pretty "vanilla" with just the basic equipment for its class.

So, when you are leveling a tier, a lot of times you will have the option of researching a particular piece of equipment, say a new gun, that is also available on the *next* tier, but NOT required on either.

You may be tempted to think "Hey, I will just save my XP to get into that next vehicle, and research that gun at that time, rather than doing so now...". Sometimes this is the right choice.

But more often than not, you are better off researching it now instead of later. While you get more XP the higher up the tier ladder you go, if you research that gun at this tier, you are doing the research work without having that gun against lower tier opponents. And of course you will get to use it against lower tier opponents.

IMO, most of the time you are better off researching components at the lower tiers rather than the higher, unless the jump from the vehicle itself is very significant.

As an example, when I go from the StuggIII to the JagsPazIV, I will already have 4/7 the possible research items already done. More importantly, I will already have the 75L70 gun researched, so the moment I step into that Tier VI TD, I will be able to get a better gun than the vanilla into it. Had I NOT researched that gun at the TV level, my shiny new T-VI TD would still have the same gun my T5 TD had, but have to use it against generally higher level opponenets.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Yeah, that's what I usually do, unless I absolutely despise the lower tier tank and want to get out of it ASAP.

DGuller

That long 122mm gun on the KV-1S sure is nice, I've had a couple of 5 hitters with it.  One time I even knocked out 4 heavies, 1 Slugger, and heavily damaged another Lowe with it.  But, damn, is that ammo expensive.  Good thing the gun shoots 4 rounds a minute, because it shoots 1,000 credits a pop.

DGuller

Finally I'm rid of Lee.  That day couldn't come soon enough.  Whoever designed that steaming pile should be forced to fight in a Lee, or at least have his genitals mutilated and eyes gouged out.

katmai

AAR 1st battle report

In my trusty T1 Cunningham Lovingly nicknamed "Opie" we followed all the other tanks as had no idea where to go. set up an ambush with two other tanks and quickly helped kill 4 of the enemy, atcually getting killing blow on 1 of them.

Procceded to keep moving and stay near the bigger tanks for rest of battle only to die to a T-45(?) right before we completed capturing the enemy base.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Berkut

I am Berkutt on the American server, btw.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

DGuller

Wow, that Sherman rocks.  With its quick gun, I was able to fire about 50 shots at the enemy in one game, and land 40 of them.  The only disadvantage is that 35 of them bounced, and the rest did minimal damage.

katmai

Quote from: Berkut on July 08, 2011, 11:58:55 PM
I am Berkutt on the American server, btw.

Yeah i added both of you two, but couldn't tell if were online.
As i have to leave early for wedding i stopped after 4 battles, had total of 2 kills to 2 destroyed but my side won all 4 battles.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on July 09, 2011, 12:20:15 AM
Wow, that Sherman rocks.  With its quick gun, I was able to fire about 50 shots at the enemy in one game, and land 40 of them.  The only disadvantage is that 35 of them bounced, and the rest did minimal damage.

I switched to the derp gun, and it works quite well. That plinker is excellent against weaker targets, but it seems most of the time you'll be staring down the barrel of heavier tanks and it won't be of much use.

DGuller

Yeah, I switched too, and it makes a world of difference.  From now on, derp gun is going to be the default choice for me, and I'll change it out only if it proves too be too high-maintenance.  I've also given the derp gun another try in T40, and it also worked out much better.  It was nice to lay back in ambush, and 1-shot 4 enemies in a row as the drove up the road without a worry in their minds.

DGuller

Argh, the new TK rules suck.  Now every time some idiot on your team moves into the line of fire you carefully setup up just as you pull the trigger, and gets shot in the ass, you pay a huge fine. 

Slargos

If it happens to you THAT often I think you're doing something wrnog.  :hmm:

DGuller

Quote from: Slargos on July 09, 2011, 03:13:04 AM
If it happens to you THAT often I think you're doing something wrnog.  :hmm:
It happen about once every 10 games for me.  I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, the fact that I'm trying to shoot from the farthest possible distance is nothing to be ashamed of.  I just don't have the reaction time to stop myself from shooting when at the last second an idiot ally drives into the shot.

Slargos

I decided on the Ferdinand.

First time I've had a Tiger staring right at me and deciding to not take the shot, rather just retreat.  :lol:

Granted, he was more or less fucked since he was heavily outnumbered, but seeing him aim at me for a few seconds and instead of taking a wild shot just reversing the hell out of there was just glorious.  :cool: