News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

I log in once in a while, just to see that Berkut hasn't logged off since February 2013.

DGuller

I have to say that WoT takes the price for the funniest April Fools joke.

Arvoreen

I haven't checked yet today, but is Karl still there? :P

DGuller

Quote from: Arvoreen on April 02, 2014, 09:23:34 AM
I haven't checked yet today, but is Karl still there? :P
Until April 4th.

Threviel

They released an iOS version that I've been playing for a few days. Good so far.

DGuller

Has anyone tried War Thunder Ground Forces, now that it's in open beta?

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on May 21, 2014, 11:32:08 AM

Yes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malicious Intent

Quote from: DGuller on May 21, 2014, 11:32:08 AM

I play it (since CBT actually) and like it a lot, though it is still in a rather early state with few maps and tanks available and bugs and glitches still being worked on. It is a very different kind of game than WoT, more about cautious maneuvering, ambushing and especially striking first, since any tank can be blown up with one good penetrating hit in a vital spot. I would advise playing 3-4 games in arcade mode, only to get familliar with the basics of the game, then switch to realistic or even simulator mode and never look back.

Realistic mode removes aiming assistance, so you have to manually adjust for shell drop and will not get any pointers on penetration probability. Tanks also handle a lot more like the real machines in this mode, while in arcade they accelerate (and skid) like mad. You also are limited to one vehicle (that may have 1 or 2 respawns if it is a light or medium tank or TD), while arcade mode offers garage battles similar to War Thunder Air.

Simulator mode is mostly identical to realistic mode,  but the 3rd person view is taken away. You are limited to commanders view (from the turret cupola) or gunner view (for sniping). Detected enemy tanks will not get a red marker in this mode, so you will have to find and identify them by sight. Since the game does not have a spotting system like WOT (where tanks are mostly invisible unless certain parameters are fullfilled), you can actually see enemies that are miles away.

Sim battles give access to the Kursk map, which is a truly enormous battlefield of rolling hills and wide plains with limited cover and a lot of AI activity. The largest map in WoT is 1x1  km large, Kursk may be 5x5 km or more. It is basically the prototype for a new, more realistic kind of map, while the other existing WT maps are more in tune with what you know from  WoT.

Balance is still a bit of an issue in War Thunder GF at this point. Russia seems to have an edge from tier 1 to early tier 2, while Germany dominates late tier 2 up to and including tier 4, thanks to guns with a great combination of flat shell trajectory, high verlocity and penetration at longer ranges (less need for ranging shots = higher first strike capability). Can't say anything about tier 5 yet.
The above is purely from the perspective of realistic and simulator battles. The aiming assistance in arcade battles grealty aids the slow firing but hard hitting soviet guns.  But then again: Stay away from arcade battles!

You may also find this article interesting, written by someone more eloquent, to whom english isn't a second language  ;):

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/war-thunder-ground-forces-mmo-game-preview.htm

Alcibiades

So not going to start playing this or planes again, but I am interested in world of warships.  Anyone happen to stumble on a beta key anywhere by chance?
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Berkut

I bought into the Beta. It is a lot of fun, and visually outstanding...at least so far.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Alcibiades

:blurgh:

Want it, considered buying into it.... but figure that it will have a lot more ships when I finally get access, and I won't be upset that I paid any money when they make it pay to win.  RIP Navyfield.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Tamas

I have been on and off of World of Tanks addiction the last year or so.

I am back to it at the moment with a serious flare-up resulting in me buying (for actual money  :Embarrass: ) the premium Tier 7 Tank Destroyer E-25.

Spending real money immediately made me a better player. I mean, I can have bad games in it, and as I understand it is not nearly as OP as it used to be, but it is still ridiculously better than anything else available on the tech tree for this tier. It is almost as fast as a light tank, has excellent spotting and great camo, and a very accurate very fast reload gun that doesn't hit massively but still very good damage.

Last evening I had two 5-kill matches in rapid succession, which is fair to say not something I easily replicate with a standard tank. In one of those games I was actually pretty poor, spending all my ammo to achieve 4 kills, getting the 5th by ramming a damaged Tier 6 heavy to its doom. That suicide charge (which I ended up surviving for a while) was the first time I was spotted during the match.

It's just ridiculous. But fun.

Threviel

Still on the PC or blitz on the phone?

Tamas

Quote from: Threviel on January 14, 2022, 06:50:22 AM
Still on the PC or blitz on the phone?

PC master race here.

Threviel

I installed WoT on my mac, but it seems to be called blitz but contains all my old tanks. Are they merging the games or is there any difference?