News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stonewall

Quote from: DGuller on November 27, 2011, 03:08:47 AM
That SU-152 is sweet.  It's a bit of a bitch to get it into a favorable situation, but when you shoot at someone, you know you're going to hurt them.  It's like a derp KV, only much more practical.

With the gold ammo sale that is on now, I've used part of my clan wars payout to buy 100 rounds of gold 152.  Oh boy.  225 pen ammo with 750 damage at Tier 7.  Feels like a McDonald's commercial.  I'm lovin' it.
"I'd just like to say that most of us begin life suckling on a breast. If we're lucky we end life suckling on a breast. So anybody who's against breasts is against life itself."

frunk

I think I had the longest run in my history of losing/tied games last night.  The first four tanks I played all were on winning sides right off the bat.  The last three lost or tied 12 times in a row.  A few times I had great matches and my team just melted away.  Some of the others I'd get tracked and then blown up early on.  It really felt like I was getting put on stupid teams intentionally.  Once I finally won on one of those three tanks it only took three more matches to win on the other two.

Tamas

I returned to this in the last 3 days and I am having the worst fucking run of defeats I have ever had. Worst of all, that I am not that bad, I have decent kills, gathering in achievements etc. Yet my teams lose, lose, lose.

Just this last game I saw 2 IS-4s and other high tiered tanks stand in ceremony while a T-54 raced past through them, taking potshots at it, but refusing to move from their sweet spot on an open hilltop, despite the enemy having 2 GW Tigers. Or on Kampinowka, first half of my team impales itself on the enemy line by going at them one after the other from the front, then the rest just stares into the abyss while I alone in my Ferdi attempt to fend off 6 enemy tanks coming in from the forest. Just WTF.

Tamas

:ultra:

and just now, starting at the top of the mines map with my Ferdie. Like, 4 of our tanks, bundle together behind that rock right next to our flag, and camp the whole game, for who knows what reason, while most of the rest races down to the light tower, leaving the hilltop and the town to the enemy. Of course we are raped, because the light tower guys also start to camp and stare into emptiness from there. I was fending of a quarter of the enemy team from the sniping hill of our half - not much hope of course. WTF

Stonewall

Having a high tier tank used to protect one (somewhat) from masses of imbeciles.  The game has been out long enough that people who haven't invested in premium accounts are now getting higher tiered tanks.  In general, if one is investing money into a game, I would expect him to be a little better at it.  As a result, I think you're seeing the 43 and 44% win raters finally getting stuck in battles where their inability to properly play a high tier tank is killing their teams.

I refuse to play pugs without a platoon anymore in any tank other than my artillery.
"I'd just like to say that most of us begin life suckling on a breast. If we're lucky we end life suckling on a breast. So anybody who's against breasts is against life itself."

DGuller

There is a special starting tomorrow that allows you to buy equipment at a 50% discount.  About time it's on again, I need a stabilizer and some optics.

frunk

Quote from: Stonewall on December 03, 2011, 03:00:14 PM
Having a high tier tank used to protect one (somewhat) from masses of imbeciles.  The game has been out long enough that people who haven't invested in premium accounts are now getting higher tiered tanks.

I generally expect the reverse.  People who invest money advance through the tiers faster, and don't take the time to learn the tactics as well as someone who has to get through many more games to advance.  They end up in the higher tiers without as much experience.  I saw that in my own play, with the anniversary premium special I didn't particularly care if I did well.  The 50% bonus meant even a losing battle was a considerable gain compared to my normal rates.  It encouraged me to whip through as many games as I could instead of taking my time to do well in the ones I played.  The number of clueless Type 59, Lowe and KV-5 drivers only reinforces the point.

Tamas

Quote from: frunk on December 03, 2011, 04:02:56 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on December 03, 2011, 03:00:14 PM
Having a high tier tank used to protect one (somewhat) from masses of imbeciles.  The game has been out long enough that people who haven't invested in premium accounts are now getting higher tiered tanks.

I generally expect the reverse.  People who invest money advance through the tiers faster, and don't take the time to learn the tactics as well as someone who has to get through many more games to advance.  They end up in the higher tiers without as much experience.  I saw that in my own play, with the anniversary premium special I didn't particularly care if I did well.  The 50% bonus meant even a losing battle was a considerable gain compared to my normal rates.  It encouraged me to whip through as many games as I could instead of taking my time to do well in the ones I played.  The number of clueless Type 59, Lowe and KV-5 drivers only reinforces the point.

Yes I agree.

And the Type-59s annoy me to no end. I sold my IS-3 because I am not playing that much anymore and I have my Ferdie for high-tier heavy-ish action. But I hated the Types while in my IS-3. To have a tank which is faster, smaller, better armored, probably also bigger-puncher than my heavy be on the same tier is infuriating.

DGuller

Is it just me, or are games on the weekend infested with high tier arty and high tier tanks in general?

DGuller

Jesus, I'm having the most frustrating night yet.  It just seems like time after time after time, if I play a tier 7/8 heavy, I'm getting matchmaking from hell.  And I keep losing time after time after time.  It's not like I'm the problem, I do more than my share of killing, but it just seems like I can never get on the winning team.  Surely this can't be more than just random bad luck, but how long can a bad luck string last?

Slargos

Is it just me or is the USSR medium line a humongous pain in the ass? I want the T-54 but so far the T-34and the T-34-85 have been massive let downs and probably the most dreary grinds I've been faced with yet. I can barely get myself to play the daily doubles with the T-34-85.

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Slargos on December 04, 2011, 04:44:35 PM
Is it just me or is the USSR medium line a humongous pain in the ass? I want the T-54 but so far the T-34and the T-34-85 have been massive let downs and probably the most dreary grinds I've been faced with yet. I can barely get myself to play the daily doubles with the T-34-85.

The T-34-85 is a decent t6 med, once you mount the 100 mm. I had the gun researched from the heavy line, which greatly helped lessen the grind. The tank feels very sluggisch though, or at least that's my impression. I still have stock engine and suspension, so maybe there will be some room for improvement, but with a mere 20 PS more on the second engine I really doubt it.

The T-34 however was no fun at all, especially when compared to its brilliant t5 competitors Sherman and the Panzer IV. Well, at least it is an improvement over the turd that is the T-28...

DGuller

Agreed, and it sounds like things don't get better with T-43.  I have given up on the Soviet medium line for now.

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on December 04, 2011, 05:29:28 PM
Agreed, and it sounds like things don't get better with T-43.  I have given up on the Soviet medium line for now.

From the looks of it, the T-44 is the first palatable USSR medium. All respect to the people who've suffered that grind.

DGuller

Damn, I forgot how much fun T29 that's properly equipped can be.  Now that I bought vertical stabilizer and gun-laying drive for it, which I have originally moved to the Tiger II to no avail, I'm owning again.  In close quarter combat, you don't even have to wait to aim, just point and fire.