US intensifying secret campaign of Yemen airstrikes

Started by jimmy olsen, June 08, 2011, 11:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

The Libyan rebels certainly do seem to be making a point of underlining they've no links to Islamic extremists. Certainly Libya is one of the more secular Arab countries whilst Yemen is the Afghanistan of the middle east.
There probally are some Islamic nutters amongst the Libyan rebels too but  they seem to be far from the majority there.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on June 09, 2011, 01:49:16 AM
I have this strange feeling that the "terrorists" in Yemen are not that different from the "rebels" in Libya.
You are probably correct.

Not to mention, as the article implies, by taking care of the "terrorists" in Yemen, the US is allowing the regime to move troops to the capital to consolidate power and fight the protesters there.
You got it wrong.  The government moved troops to the capital, hence creating a power vacuum in the south, wich the US is exploiting by bombing terrorists.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on June 09, 2011, 09:17:17 AM
The Libyan rebels certainly do seem to be making a point of underlining they've no links to Islamic extremists. Certainly Libya is one of the more secular Arab countries whilst Yemen is the Afghanistan of the middle east.
There probally are some Islamic nutters amongst the Libyan rebels too but  they seem to be far from the majority there.
The Lybian rebels aren't exacly shy of hanging/killing any suspected Khadafi loyalist, or anyone who worked for the government for that matter.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

I guess some people are proceeding from the assumption that all Arabs are pretty much the same.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on June 09, 2011, 10:30:33 AM
I guess some people are proceeding from the assumption that all Arabs are pretty much the same.

Dirty filthy carpet flying thieves? yes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

There are good Arabs and bad Arabs. Er, I dare not continue this post.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

dps

Quote from: viper37 on June 09, 2011, 10:00:03 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 09, 2011, 09:17:17 AM
The Lybian rebels aren't exacly shy of hanging/killing any suspected Khadafi loyalist, or anyone who worked for the government for that matter.

Do you believe that that implies that therefore, the majority of them are, in fact, Islamic nutters? 

Slargos

Quote from: Jacob on June 09, 2011, 10:30:33 AM

You let your love for the filthy races cloud your judgement. Enough Arabs are the same, that it becomes expedient to assume that all Arabs are the same because you will be correct far more times than you will be incorrect.

Sure, that Dingo may have fed already, but are you really willing to risk letting your baby pet it?

Zanza

Why are those Yemenites even self-declared enemies of the USA? What's in it for them? I don't get their motivation.

Slargos

Quote from: Zanza on June 11, 2011, 03:23:01 AM
Why are those Yemenites  Arabs even self-declared enemies of the USA? What's in it for them? I don't get their motivation.

FYP and answers your question at the same time. Elegant, non?

The Brain

Why are those Yemenites even self-declared enemies of the USA? What's in it for them? I don't get their motivation.

Motivation? It's in the script. Suck it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

I don't think anyone gets their motivation.  Flying planes into the WTC doesn't seem to have made those guys rich.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 08, 2011, 11:54:34 PM
Not very secret apparently.

Shouldn't we at least finish up what we're doing in Libya first?
They're totally different.  The US has been bombing Yemen for ages anyway :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!