And we're back!

Main Menu

Pawlenty Google Test

Started by The Minsky Moment, June 08, 2011, 01:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on June 08, 2011, 01:58:46 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 08, 2011, 01:27:48 PM
We should absolutely privatize the post office.  Numerous private companies do very fine delivery work - why do they need to compete with government?
Considering you lived in White Horse, I'm surprised you'd ask this question. Post Office is an prime example of a service that actually requires a government subsidy/provider.

Not at all.  There are private companies that deliver packages quite well to Whitehorse from anywhere in the world.

Now there are potential issues for extremely remote locations - but frankly they have very poor mail service as it is already.  If we needed to get something to or from a remote RCMP detachment it was almost useless to send it by mail - we'd just wait till someone was going in that direction.  And you can come up with a variety of government subsidies ot programs to cover the small minority that might not get service through private mail.  In order to ensure reliable mail delivery in Old Crow, Yukon, you don't need to give Canada Post a monopoly on all mail across the country.

And by the way, those union bastards at Canada Post have gone on strike.  They have one of the world's sadest picketlines across the street from my office right now.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Swedish "Posten" lost its monopoly in 1993. We're doing OK.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on June 08, 2011, 02:37:56 PM

The United States stands in solidarity with the workers of the world against the 'law of the jungle' capitalism gone mad in Sweden.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on June 08, 2011, 02:41:19 PM

The United States stands in solidarity with the workers of the world against the 'law of the jungle' capitalism gone mad in Sweden.

ty :hug:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Are there any remote locations in Sweden?  :huh:

ulmont

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 08, 2011, 02:32:05 PM
Quote from: ulmont on June 08, 2011, 02:29:14 PM
And I was right...as further shown by the agreement between the union and the post office.

What, the part that repeats the word employee?

And defines the USPS as the Employer, and which further goes on to discuss "COMPENSATION, SALARIES, AND WAGES" including "basic annual salary schedules in effect on September 2, 2006, with proportional application to hourly rate
employees, for those employees covered under the terms and conditions of this Agreement."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: ulmont on June 08, 2011, 02:52:28 PM
And defines the USPS as the Employer, and which further goes on to discuss "COMPENSATION, SALARIES, AND WAGES" including "basic annual salary schedules in effect on September 2, 2006, with proportional application to hourly rate
employees, for those employees covered under the terms and conditions of this Agreement."

Seriously, do you have anything at all backing up your assertion that rural delivery is done by private contractors on a low-bid basis?

Sure.  A magazine article I read maybe 3 years ago.

Admiral Yi

QuoteIn the United States, the official label for a mail carrier is "letter carrier". There are three types of letter carriers: city letter carriers, who are represented by the National Association of Letter Carriers; Rural Letter Carrier, who are represented by the National Rural Letter Carriers' Association; and Highway Contract Route carriers, who are independent contractors. While union membership is voluntary, city carriers are organized near 90% nationally.

Mystery solved.

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on June 08, 2011, 02:49:14 PM
Are there any remote locations in Sweden?  :huh:

Sweden IS a remote location :contract:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 08, 2011, 01:22:04 PM
Joan is trying to Swift Boat Pawlenty.

I don't question his entitlement to any military decorations or honors he may have earned.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on June 08, 2011, 02:21:44 PM
I am surprised to find out that there are google services that provide things like nationwide security and legal system services, i.e. courts and such. I had no idea.

There are plenty of services that have websites that provide private adjudications of disputes on a national basis.  Try AAA or JAMS for example.

There are also private security companies and investigation/intelligence providers that operate nationwide.  Some even have worldwide coverage.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 08, 2011, 03:21:10 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 08, 2011, 02:21:44 PM
I am surprised to find out that there are google services that provide things like nationwide security and legal system services, i.e. courts and such. I had no idea.

There are plenty of services that have websites that provide private adjudications of disputes on a national basis.  Try AAA or JAMS for example.

That and every court system I know of also has a website providing access to its "services" not to mention its decisions (goods).

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on June 08, 2011, 02:16:18 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 08, 2011, 02:02:06 PM
I have been in favor of just hiring a mercenary army for years.  Particularly if each company has a cool name.  We could hire the Black Falcons to conquer Iran for us.
I think I'd rather go with the Eridani Light Horse for that mission.  If they're not available, then the Kell Hounds.

If you want it done right you hire Wolfe's Dragoons. :nerd:

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Aw, Valmy deleted his nerd post. :(