White House Criticizes Dem Jobs Bill for Being Too Big

Started by Faeelin, June 08, 2011, 11:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

QuoteWhite House says Senate Dems' jobs bill is too expensive
By Pete Kasperowicz and Josiah Ryan    - 06/07/11 10:33 PM ET
The Obama administration on Tuesday night might have thrown a wrench into Senate Democratic plans to pass what they see as a jobs bill — by implying the bill spends too much money.

In a Statement of Administration Policy, the White House said it supports the broad goals of the bill.

"However, the bill would authorize spending levels higher than those requested by the president's Budget, and the administration believes that the need for smart investments that help America win the future must be balanced with the need to control spending and reduce the deficit," the administration said.

The Economic Development Revitalization Act, S. 782, would expand the reach of the Public Works and Economic Development Administration (EDA), and increase funding from nearly $300 million in the current year to $500 million a year through 2015. The White House budget proposal recommended an increase to $325 million.
The comment on the price of the bill is likely to be seized upon by Senate Republicans as a further reason to reject it, and could undermine Senate Democrats' effort to build support for it. Earlier in the day, Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) told The Hill that he does not support the funding increase.

"This bill is nothing more than another failed stimulus idea that takes money from workers and businesses and gives it to Washington to pick winners and losers," he said. "We've already wasted hundreds of billions of tax dollars on a misguided stimulus that left us with record high unemployment, and we don't need to repeat the mistake."

On Tuesday morning, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) defended the idea of boosting funds significantly for the EDA, which he said would help create jobs.

"In the last five years we've invested $1.2 billion, creating more than 300,000 jobs," Reid said of the program. "The Republicans are stopping us from moving to it because creating jobs, it appears, is the last thing they care to do."

Reid was referring to DeMint's prior efforts to block the bill. On Tuesday, the Senate agreed to proceed with the EDA legislation after DeMint was assured of an open amendment process for the bill. So far, there has been little debate on the EDA bill itself, and far more discussion about an amendment to delay a rule that would limit debit-card fees, which will be considered Wednesday.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/165299-white-house-says-senate-dem-jobs-bill-too-expensive

The Brain

Quotesmart investments that help America win the future

Who writes this stuff anyway?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Faeelin on June 08, 2011, 11:45:14 AM
"In the last five years we've invested $1.2 billion, creating more than 300,000 jobs," Reid said of the program.

Seems like Harry misplaced a few zeros.  Maybe they're at Yucca Mountain.

MadImmortalMan

It was probably proposed specifically so the Prez could shut it down.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Berkut

[]quote]
"In the last five years we've invested $1.2 billion, creating more than 300,000 jobs," Reid said of the program. "The Republicans are stopping us from moving to it because creating jobs, it appears, is the last thing they care to do."[/quote]

It's true. Republicans, they hate jobs.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Scipio

Quote from: Berkut on June 08, 2011, 02:13:06 PM
"In the last five years we've invested $1.2 billion, creating more than 300,000 jobs," Reid said of the program. "The Republicans are stopping us from moving to it because creating jobs, it appears, is the last thing they care to do."

It's true. Republicans, they hate jobs.

Okay, given the current level of reported unemployment (13.6 million), we're looking at an additional expenditure (at 4k per new job) of 55.6 trillion dollars in new spending to fully employ the reported unemployed.  I vote we appropriate that money by taxing the rich (those that make $250k+) at 100% of all income over $250K.  That should solve that problem.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

HisMajestyBOB

Let's tax PAC contributions. That money isn't going to anything worthwhile anyway.
And tax lobbyists. At 100% of gross income.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Let's pay for it with Iraqi oil. The Romans had one thing right, the provinces should be profitable rather than an expense.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 08, 2011, 12:18:53 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on June 08, 2011, 11:45:14 AM
"In the last five years we've invested $1.2 billion, creating more than 300,000 jobs," Reid said of the program.

Seems like Harry misplaced a few zeros.  Maybe they're at Yucca Mountain.

It is tricky. You can't claim too many jobs without being laughed at, since unemployment is quite high. 300,000 is a decent number. But then how much do you say you spent? $1.2 billion seems puny with the amount spent on other programs, but you don't want to say you spent $100k a job to create jobs averaging $50k in pay either.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 08, 2011, 07:21:33 PM
Let's pay for it with Iraqi oil. The Romans had one thing right, the provinces should be profitable rather than an expense.

I vote for drawing up lists of proscribed citizens and killing them and taking their stuff.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Ed and Lemonjello fight to the death and the winner takes the loser's stuff, using part of it to buy bread for us plebs.

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 08, 2011, 11:20:30 PM
Ed and Lemonjello fight to the death and the winner takes the loser's stuff, using part of it to buy bread for us plebs.

I second that proposal.  Although I think that crazy canuck seems to have more stuff than Ed. 

Eddie Teach

Crazy Canuck doesn't hold the citizenship though.