News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Off on holiday

Started by Richard Hakluyt, May 26, 2011, 11:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Brazen on May 27, 2011, 03:39:03 AM
I'm off to Whitstable next week, based entirely off recommendations from internet friends! Staycations are where it's at. Shame it's supposed to rain all next week :(
I went to Devon for a long weekend a week or so ago.  Just when massive thunder storms buffetted the south-west :(
Let's bomb Russia!

MadImmortalMan

Was going to do some camping in the glorious mountainous wilderness this weekend, but it's gonna be too cold. And snow over 4500 feet (above sea level, not 4500 feet of snow) tomorrow night.  <_<

Bleh.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

I'm posting this from a caravan.
It is raining.
West coast FTL.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on May 27, 2011, 09:17:39 AM
Quote from: Caliga on May 27, 2011, 06:22:16 AM
The British thing "He is in hospital" always bugs me.
What do Americans say there? :unsure:
When British English started dropping articles, US English didn't go along.  A hospital is still a place in American English, so needs an article.  You can be "In traction in the hospital" but not "in traction in hospital."  I suspect articles will start disappearing from US English as well, eventually.  They are difficult for non-native speakers to pick up, and don't add a lot to the meaning of sentences.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on May 28, 2011, 12:42:07 PMI suspect articles will start disappearing from US English as well, eventually.  They are difficult for non-native speakers to pick up, and don't add a lot to the meaning of sentences.

It will be the d34dlee combinationz of hip hopz and l33tspeakz that will deztroi American English.

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on May 28, 2011, 12:42:07 PM
Quote from: Tyr on May 27, 2011, 09:17:39 AM
Quote from: Caliga on May 27, 2011, 06:22:16 AM
The British thing "He is in hospital" always bugs me.
What do Americans say there? :unsure:
When British English started dropping articles, US English didn't go along.  A hospital is still a place in American English, so needs an article.  You can be "In traction in the hospital" but not "in traction in hospital."  I suspect articles will start disappearing from US English as well, eventually.  They are difficult for non-native speakers to pick up, and don't add a lot to the meaning of sentences.
I always took it as meaning not so much John is in Littletown General Hospital but John is in hospital. Like John is shopping. As Richard says more a state of being. He could be in any hospital in the world but he is in hospital.
New to me that Americans see it more as a physical location.
Not that its something I've ever thought about. Never came up.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

The British usage is more consistent.

Americans don't say at the work or in the school or at the home.

Doesn't mean I want to switch though.

Richard Hakluyt

I have returned  :)

Boring pics of buildings will be posted later on, I'm rather busy today as my wife has started a new job and I'm trying to regulate the household with great efficiency to help her make a good start, so it may be a little while.

Good holidays both. My eldest didn't trash the house while we away and the 3 of us who went to Northumberland had a cool time. My visit to Malta also went well, very interesting place if grossly overcrowded  :cool: