Main Menu

Beasts of War

Started by Malthus, June 03, 2011, 02:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 03, 2011, 02:47:23 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 03, 2011, 02:38:42 PM
Camels, I overlooked that.

I'm not including animals used for food, or oxen used to pull supply wagons. Only those used as it were in the face of the enemy.

Damn I was going to mention the Sacred Chickens of Rome.  How many Roman victories were ensured do to the glorious eating by the Sacred Chickens?

Who was the Roman admiral who lost a naval battle against the Cartheginians when the chickens would not eat before the battle and, enraged, he threw them overboard yelling "if they will not eat, then let them drink"?  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on June 03, 2011, 02:54:28 PM
Who was the Roman admiral who lost a naval battle against the Cartheginians when the chickens would not eat before the battle and, enraged, he threw them overboard yelling "if they will not eat, then let them drink"?  :lol:

I think he was somebody sorta famous or at least from a famous family...A Claudian perhaps?

Ah yes Wiki says Publius Claudius Pulcher.  But then everybody important in Rome around that time seems to be a Claudian.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on June 03, 2011, 03:00:48 PM

I think he was somebody sorta famous or at least from a famous family...A Claudian perhaps?

Ah yes Wiki says Publius Claudius Pulcher.  But then everybody important in Rome around that time seems to be a Claudian.

He's mentioned in "I, Claudius" as a member of the Claudian family.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on June 03, 2011, 03:00:48 PM

Pulchers were such a family of trolls. His children (Pulcher and Pulchra) were no better. :D

Admiral Yi

I can't think of any specific cases but I would think some smart cookies at some point used bees, hornets or snakes set in traps.

Maximus

There are stories of stampeding herds of cattle being used in western frontier skirmishes. I don't know how authentic they are.

jamesww

Quote from: Maximus on June 03, 2011, 04:34:17 PM
There are stories of stampeding herds of cattle being used in western frontier skirmishes. I don't know how authentic they are.

Well in film 'Zulu' the British use the cattle to interrupt one of the Zulu attacks, is this 'evidence' ? :unsure:

Siege

Goats. Muslims place IEDs inside dead goats, sheep, donkeys, etc.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on June 03, 2011, 06:27:34 PM
Goats. Muslims place IEDs inside dead goats, sheep, donkeys, etc.

I forgot about you and the well. :lol:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on June 03, 2011, 02:30:51 PM
Horses have of course been used for millenia in warfare. Also, elephants and dogs.

Can you guys think of any others?

[I mean in reality. Anyone publishing artwork of cossacks riding bears or the like will be shot. I'm looking at you, Timmay ...  :mad: ]

Fleas, of course.  Thanks Japan!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

I'm not including animals used for food, or oxen used to pull supply wagons.

What about oxen used to move artillery carriages on the battlefield?  Pretty much any beast of burden can be used for that in a pinch, I would think, and probably has been.  But I know I've read of oxen being used for that purpose for sure.

Ed Anger

Anybody mention the experimental bat bomb program?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

:Joos

Israeli special forces and their llamas wait to cross the Israel-Lebanon border west of Avivim, late night August 1, 2006.REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach (ISRAEL)

Malthus

Quote from: dps on June 03, 2011, 08:15:13 PM
I'm not including animals used for food, or oxen used to pull supply wagons.

What about oxen used to move artillery carriages on the battlefield?  Pretty much any beast of burden can be used for that in a pinch, I would think, and probably has been.  But I know I've read of oxen being used for that purpose for sure.

Yeah, those would count.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Drakken

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 03, 2011, 08:20:12 PM
Anybody mention the experimental bat bomb program?

IIRC, Hannibal tested catapulting pottery vases filled with venomous snakes on the deck of Roman galleys. Wasn't a success.