News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Biological Warfare Attack in Europe.

Started by jamesww, June 02, 2011, 02:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesww

Some talking head/expert in the media is bound to bring this up, so I thought I'd get the scaremongering first:

Outbreak is new form of E. coli
02 June 11 17:13

By James Gallagher
Health reporter, BBC News

The E. coli outbreak in Germany is a new form of the bacterium, researchers and public health experts believe.

The infection can cause the deadly complication - haemolytic-uraemic syndrome (HUS) - affecting the blood and kidneys.

More than 1,500 people have been infected and 18 have died: 17 in Germany and one in Sweden.

In the UK, three British nationals have been infected - all had visited Germany.

The World Health Organisation said the variant had "never been seen in an outbreak situation before."

Scientists at the Beijing Genomics Institute in China are also reported as saying the new form was "highly infectious and toxic."

The Health Protection Agency said it was likely to be a new variant of the rare strain O104 - possibly with a newly acquired ability to infect large numbers of people.

In a statement it said: "While there is a lot more that we need to learn about this bacterium, the evidence that is already available tells us that the German authorities have been dealing with something new."

Professor Gad Frankel, from Imperial College London, the Sanger Institute and the Medical Research Council, said: "This is a new combination and a deadly combination.

"It has a gene which produces a toxin and another which helps the bacterium colonise the gut more efficiently, which effectively means even more toxin is produced.

Full article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/health-13626499

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Err, hasn't this already been tracked to dirty Spanish cucumbers or something? Seems like the outbreak is largely limited to Germany and to raw vegetables.

Incidentally, the Polish equivalent of "Bild" had an awesome title today: "A mutant super bacteria slaughtering the Germans". I loled.  :cool:

Martinus

Quote from: jamesww on June 02, 2011, 02:56:08 PM
More than 1,500 people have been infected and 18 have died: 17 in Germany and one in Sweden.

In the UK, three British nationals have been infected - all had visited Germany.

Scientists at the Beijing Genomics Institute in China are also reported as saying the new form was "highly infectious and toxic."

:hmm:

dps

Quote from: Martinus on June 02, 2011, 04:32:46 PM

Think we might have a clue about the source of the attack?  :D

Martinus

Quote from: dps on June 02, 2011, 04:34:31 PM

Well, it's pretty amazing that they would be able to test and comment on the bacteria outbreak that happened a few days ago on the other end of the globe. :P

Strix

It's Captain Trips come to take us all home!
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on June 02, 2011, 04:46:18 PM
Quote from: dps on June 02, 2011, 04:34:31 PM

Well, it's pretty amazing that they would be able to test and comment on the bacteria outbreak that happened a few days ago on the other end of the globe. :P

Races other than the polish have perfected the technology of aviation, making it possible to travel great distances very quickly, often without crashing even during fog or other difficult weather conditions.

If you can find any polish scribes, they are more than welcome to make copies.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Hmmm.  Let's see...a breakout of an infection from bacteria in your ass.  In Germany.

I, for one, am shocked.

Neil

It's not like you didn't get Haemolytic Uraemic Syndrome from E. Coli before.  And E. Coli has always been capable of infecting large numbers of people through the food supply.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Iormlund

Quote from: Martinus on June 02, 2011, 04:31:19 PM
Err, hasn't this already been tracked to dirty Spanish cucumbers or something?
Ah yes, those filthy Spaniards. Of course they had to be responsible, even if not a single case could be traced outside Germany.

Pity that it turned out to be pure bullshit. I'm not particularly fond of our agricultural sector, but I sure would love to see the very Aryan Hamburg and German governments pay the very substantial damages such a claim has caused.

Ed Anger

Pass the blame to the Portuguese. They are a filthy people.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive