News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

I TOLD YOU SO!

Started by Barrister, May 31, 2011, 10:27:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Interesting - Premier Selinger, when asked about the name, suggested he wouldn't be surprised if "Manitoba" figured into things.

Gary Bettman said the name and logo "Winnipeg Jets" would be available if the team wanted it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Selinger also commented - the province is going to allocate some VLT (video lottery terminal) money towards paying down the existing debt on the otherwise privately-owned MTS Centre.  Debt that was previously being paid down by TNSE.

I guess that's their way of helping to subsidize the NHL without actually subsidizing the team.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

I stand by the Winnipeg Squares.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 31, 2011, 01:08:42 PM
:boring:

It's the circle of life.

Yesterday you lost a NCAA Football team.  Today I gained an NHL team.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on May 31, 2011, 01:14:28 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 31, 2011, 01:08:42 PM
:boring:

It's the circle of life.

Yesterday you lost a NCAA Football team.  Today I gained an NHL team.

I did? wow. You are a very silly man.

:lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: Neil on May 31, 2011, 12:39:31 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 31, 2011, 12:34:07 PM
Why doesn't it reach the "drop the puck" segment?
Board of Governors needs to approve the deal.
ah, I took it for granted.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

So, who's moving to the east, now?  Detroit? Columbus?

Also, isn't selling 13 000 season tickets out of 15 000 places a little too much?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on May 31, 2011, 01:32:22 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 31, 2011, 12:39:31 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 31, 2011, 12:34:07 PM
Why doesn't it reach the "drop the puck" segment?
Board of Governors needs to approve the deal.
ah, I took it for granted.

It is a formality.

What can they do now - un-announce it? :lol:

Winnipeg is now using it as motivation to sell season tickets.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on May 31, 2011, 01:44:03 PM
So, who's moving to the east, now?  Detroit? Columbus?

Also, isn't selling 13 000 season tickets out of 15 000 places a little too much?

For one year, Winnipeg will play in the Southeastern Conference.  :rolleyes:

They'll fight over relocation next year.  But remember we'll be going through this same mess again enxt eyar with Phoenix.

Strix

Quote from: Valmy on May 31, 2011, 12:13:18 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 31, 2011, 12:11:55 PM
In that 0 = 0 ?

Holy crap - they cut to a shot of the Forks with 1000s of fans chanting "GO JETS GO".

I think if the team is in the championship people sorta pay attention but besides that basically yeah.

Anyway congrats again and they better name this team the Winnipeg Jets.

Tell that to the Minnesota North Stars!  :secret:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Barrister

Quote from: Strix on May 31, 2011, 02:14:39 PM
In that 0 = 0 ?

Holy crap - they cut to a shot of the Forks with 1000s of fans chanting "GO JETS GO".

I think if the team is in the championship people sorta pay attention but besides that basically yeah.

Significant difference - with Phoenix being owned by the league, the league is free to sell the name / trademarks / whatever for "Winnipeg Jets" back to Winnipeg (even if they didn't own them already).

Strix

Oh, and grats BB!

It will interesting to see how re-alignment goes. My guess is they wuss out and just switch Nashville or Columbus to the East in place of the Manitoba First Nationers.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Strix

Quote from: Barrister on May 31, 2011, 02:16:54 PM
Quote from: Strix on May 31, 2011, 02:14:39 PM
In that 0 = 0 ?

Significant difference - with Phoenix being owned by the league, the league is free to sell the name / trademarks / whatever for "Winnipeg Jets" back to Winnipeg (even if they didn't own them already).

I was commenting more on the North Stars being moved the year they made the Championship. Only thing worse would have been if they beat Pittsburgh.

Barrister

Quote from: Strix on May 31, 2011, 02:17:25 PM
Oh, and grats BB!

It will interesting to see how re-alignment goes. My guess is they wuss out and just switch Nashville or Columbus to the East in place of the Manitoba First Nationers.

The conventional thinking is:

Winnipeg -> Northwest, bumping Colorado
Colorado -> Pacific, bumping Dallas
Dallas -> Central

Then it comes down to which team moves in the Central.  Detroit would love to move, as would Columbus and Nashville.  Nashville would be easiest, as it would fill the whole in the southeast.  Columbus and Nashville are actually more to the east (and in EST), but would require further realignment.

But then there are stories that they may do a more far-reaching realignment.  Three conferences was mentioned, for example.