Game of Thrones fans, who would you follow

Started by Zoupa, May 30, 2011, 05:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

As a freerider at the outset of the War, who would you pledge your sword to?

Joffrey Baratheon
2 (7.1%)
Stannis Baratheon
3 (10.7%)
Renly Baratheon
4 (14.3%)
Robb Stark
7 (25%)
Balon Greyjoy
1 (3.6%)
Daenerys Targaryen
8 (28.6%)
Mance Rayder
3 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on May 30, 2011, 07:30:01 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 30, 2011, 05:13:59 PM
Just curious  :)

I'm torn between Stannis and Renly.
Jofrrey is a Lannister and the Lannisters are plotting as if they were in Dallas.
Stannis his apparently a younger image of his late brother. Inept king.
The gay dude is, well, gay, so no chance of founding a dynasty here.  Besides, he's power hungry.
Robb Stark would make a good ruler, but no one would respect him anymore than they did his father, and he's not as ruthless as the old Baratheon could have been.  No.
Balon Greyjoy is the father of the other Greyjoy, the one whom people here said was a traitor.  So, no.  Unfit to rule.
Don't know the Rayder guy, so no.

Wich leaves us with Daenarys.  She seems to be the only one sane enough to rule a country, so far.  She will eventually command dragons, they told us so many times and the eggs glow near the candles.  Besides, she's very pretty.  A pretty non mad-plotting queen is what Westeros needs.
Also, being away from Westheros, I suspect she'll be one of the few left alive by the end of the series :P
I suspect this list was compiled to justify a choice, not make one!  :lol:

Stannis was considered a very competent and effective ruler.  That is why he was in Dragonstone to begin with , as Dragonstone needed the best ruler available.

Daenarys is of tainted blood.  Pretty much all of her adult kin went crazy in one fashion or another.    She will turn out crazy as well.

She is, however, the rightful heir (Stannis is heir to a usurper).  If one believes in rightful kings and queens and all that fairy-dust stuff, then one supports her simply because she is the rightful heir.  Then one hopes her madness won't be as destructive as that of her father and grandfather.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on May 30, 2011, 07:46:48 PM
you would be right :P

Stannis was considered a very competent and effective ruler.  That is why he was in Dragonstone to begin with , as Dragonstone needed the best ruler available.
Haven't read the books, only what I've heard so far on tv.  It's possible he'd be the best ruler.

Daenarys is of tainted blood.  Pretty much all of her adult kin went crazy in one fashion or another.    She will turn out crazy as well.

She is, however, the rightful heir (Stannis is heir to a usurper).  If one believes in rightful kings and queens and all that fairy-dust stuff, then one supports her simply because she is the rightful heir.  Then one hopes her madness won't be as destructive as that of her father and grandfather.
I liked the comment made by someone in the last episode, I believe it was Daenarys' knight/bodyguard, to the effect that the rightful king was the one to seize power at the opportune moment.

It doesn't look to me like the people of Westheros are that attached to "rigthful heir", but I might be wrong.  With so many people declaring themselves king, and nothing to indicate a strong hierarchy of nobility à la France 1788, it would seem unimportant.

The beautiful wannabe queen turning crazy makes me sad though :(  I don't think it's gonna happen tough.  It seems limited to male heirs of the dynasty :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: viper37 on May 30, 2011, 07:55:05 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 30, 2011, 07:46:48 PM
you would be right :P

Haven't read the books, only what I've heard so far on tv.  It's possible he'd be the best ruler.

I liked the comment made by someone in the last episode, I believe it was Daenarys' knight/bodyguard, to the effect that the rightful king was the one to seize power at the opportune moment.

It doesn't look to me like the people of Westheros are that attached to "rigthful heir", but I might be wrong.  With so many people declaring themselves king, and nothing to indicate a strong hierarchy of nobility à la France 1788, it would seem unimportant.

The beautiful wannabe queen turning crazy makes me sad though :(  I don't think it's gonna happen tough.  It seems limited to male heirs of the dynasty :P
Most of the great houses were kings in their own right before the Targaryans came and as one would expect there's a lot intermarriage between the great houses. They all feel they have claim to power.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on May 30, 2011, 07:55:05 PM
Well, that's certainly the effective outcome, but if one is young enough and stupid enough to believe in fairy tales like "rightful heir," then one dismisses such realism.

QuoteIt doesn't look to me like the people of Westheros are that attached to "rigthful heir", but I might be wrong.  With so many people declaring themselves king, and nothing to indicate a strong hierarchy of nobility à la France 1788, it would seem unimportant.
There is a scene in the book, which may not have made it to the TV screen, in which Robert and Ned fight in the council over whether or not to assassinate Danaerys.  It would indicate that enough people did, indeed, care that she was the actual rightful ruler so that her existence worried Robert.

QuoteThe beautiful wannabe queen turning crazy makes me sad though :(  I don't think it's gonna happen tough.  It seems limited to male heirs of the dynasty :P
If you are a young free rider, you have to choose based on the evidence available at the start of the war.  You don't get to see the scripts in advance.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Monoriu

This is a really tough one.  I'm going to be guided by two considerations - personal survival, and my desire to serve the rightful king. 

Mance Rayder is out immediately.  He is as far away from rightful king as one can be.

Balon Greyjoy is too pirate like.   He aspires to be a regional power, not central authority.

Robb Stark is the same.  Though he is probably a good boss.

Stannis can claim to be the rightful king.  But his army is small.  So probably no.  I also hate to have my fingers chopped off. 

Joffrey Baratheon is a lunatic and a bad boss.  I won't survive working under him.  He'll gladly send me on suicide missions. 

Daenerys Targaryen can also claim to be the rightful ruler.  Her "army" is almost non-existant.  She has a huge advantage - she is on another continent.  So if she is defeated, I stand a higher chance of escaping.  Being weak, she will also welcome help. 

Renly is probably the strongest at the start.  There is no way he can claim to be the rightful ruler, though.

The real choice is between hiding and following someone.  During the war, being a peasant is probably more dangerous.  But Dorne seems to be quite safe.  So I'll hide there. 

Habbaku

Quote from: Monoriu on May 30, 2011, 09:41:19 PM
Stannis can claim to be the rightful king.  But his army is small.  So probably no.  I also hate to have my fingers chopped off.

:rolleyes:  Then don't smuggle.  R'hllor, it's not that hard.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zoupa

Quote from: Monoriu on May 30, 2011, 09:41:19 PM
This is a really tough one.  I'm going to be guided by two considerations - personal survival, and my desire to serve the rightful king. 

Mance Rayder is out immediately.  He is as far away from rightful king as one can be.

Balon Greyjoy is too pirate like.   He aspires to be a regional power, not central authority.

Robb Stark is the same.  Though he is probably a good boss.

Joffrey Baratheon is a lunatic and a bad boss.  I won't survive working under him.  He'll gladly send me on suicide missions. 

Daenerys Targaryen can also claim to be the rightful ruler.  Her "army" is almost non-existant.  She has a huge advantage - she is on another continent.  So if she is defeated, I stand a higher chance of escaping.  Being weak, she will also welcome help. 

Renly is probably the strongest at the start.  There is no way he can claim to be the rightful ruler, though.

The real choice is between hiding and following someone.  During the war, being a peasant is probably more dangerous.  But Dorne seems to be quite safe.  So I'll hide there.

Monoriu, a caricature.

Fate

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on May 30, 2011, 09:02:48 PM
There is a scene in the book, which may not have made it to the TV screen, in which Robert and Ned fight in the council over whether or not to assassinate Danaerys.  It would indicate that enough people did, indeed, care that she was the actual rightful ruler so that her existence worried Robert.
yeah it was there.  Robert was worried about a male heir coming from her, with the Dothraki army at his back.  Not the rightful heir per see.  Could be different in the books, hadn't started the reading yet.

The way I see it presented in the tv show, is that a lot of people feel they, or someone else, are legitimate heir to the throne, by one way or another.  But most people around them don't really care about who's legitimate or not, they care about who stands the most chance of ruling and returning favours.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sophie Scholl

My boy Jorah said it best I believe, "The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends. It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace. They never are."
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Martinus

Martinus

The gay dude is, well, gay, so no chance of founding a dynasty here.  Besides, he's power hungry.
QuoteWich leaves us with Daenarys.

A teenage girl is a perfect way to found a dynasty.  :hmm:

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on May 31, 2011, 02:04:11 AM
QuoteWich leaves us with Daenarys.

:hmm:

Don't spoil him, he hasn't read the books.

Martinus

Edited.

I would join the Rainbow Guard. :homo: