News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pride of Nations

Started by Tamas, May 27, 2011, 02:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I've just looked into this, first I've heard of it.
First thought was it was some fan made mod for Victoria like Decades of Darkness and all that but apparently not...Its like War in the Pacific?
Don't think I'll be getting it, don't like these steep learning curve counter games. Never willing to put the time into learning them. Especially since tutorials always suck  (this is how you use a mouse!)
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Had a very weird experience in the current US game I am playing.  A "crisis" erupted when the US, for unknown reasons, burst into crisis something something with Prussia, of all countries, in Samoa, of all places.  I couldn't figure out exactly what was happening, because the game would refer only to "Initiator" and Target" while cleverly making sure you didn't know which your nation was.  I chose the option of minimizing possible prestige losses, since all of the other options appeared to require that i know whether I was an initiator or a target (and thus whether I had "just cause" or not, which in this case, I believe, belonged to the target).  Always minimize the possible losses when one cannot make any meaningful decisions, right?

Wrong!  :lol:  I lost the maximum possible prestige and whatever stake I had in Samoa (if I even had any; again, the game didn't let me see anything in Samoa, which may have meant that I didn't have anything there).  Insofar as I can tell, the decisions I made in the crisis had no impact on the outcome.  I went back and changed the decision to something escalate something something, and had the exact same outcome.

I also must admit that I don't understand why the AI shuts down factories.  The message just says that I lack the operating costs, without specifying further.  I have plenty of the resources used by these factories at the beginning and end of the turn, with the shortest supply being that of minerals (of which I end the turn with 20 to 25).  All of the 4 or 5 factories that shut down each turn use minerals, which leads me to believe that the AI is shutting down all of these factories because of something to do with minerals - but the game doesn't tell me what, since I end the turn with more than enough minerals to have kept the factories open.  I think there is something going on with the timing, maybe, and that maybe imports don't count towards the turn they arrive, or something.  It is just weird.

Still, the game is fun to play, and the black boxes I have run across are really no more black than the ones I run across in Paradox games - they are just more explicitly black boxes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Crisises over too minimal colonial penetrations (like Samoa for USA and Prussia at start), and factory closure messages not specifying reason are two things you can certainly look out for in the next patch, but don't quote me.  :ph34r:

Norgy

I think (and I'd like to emphasize that) I read in the strategy guide that closed factories may open again once there are raw materials or whatever present?

szmik

Quote from: grumbler on June 11, 2011, 01:26:00 PM
Had a very weird experience in the current US game I am playing.  A "crisis" erupted when the US, for unknown reasons, burst into crisis something something with Prussia, of all countries, in Samoa, of all places.  I couldn't figure out exactly what was happening, because the game would refer only to "Initiator" and Target" while cleverly making sure you didn't know which your nation was.  I chose the option of minimizing possible prestige losses, since all of the other options appeared to require that i know whether I was an initiator or a target (and thus whether I had "just cause" or not, which in this case, I believe, belonged to the target).  Always minimize the possible losses when one cannot make any meaningful decisions, right?

Wrong!  :lol:  I lost the maximum possible prestige and whatever stake I had in Samoa (if I even had any; again, the game didn't let me see anything in Samoa, which may have meant that I didn't have anything there).  Insofar as I can tell, the decisions I made in the crisis had no impact on the outcome.  I went back and changed the decision to something escalate something something, and had the exact same outcome.

I've run into it, but I got almost 300 Prestige, while Prussia almost 500. I didn't know what was going on with this minigame, so I prepared deck using one of templates.

Hell, I had hard time finding Samoa on map after that  ;)

QuoteI also must admit that I don't understand why the AI shuts down factories.  The message just says that I lack the operating costs, without specifying further.  I have plenty of the resources used by these factories at the beginning and end of the turn, with the shortest supply being that of minerals (of which I end the turn with 20 to 25).  All of the 4 or 5 factories that shut down each turn use minerals, which leads me to believe that the AI is shutting down all of these factories because of something to do with minerals - but the game doesn't tell me what, since I end the turn with more than enough minerals to have kept the factories open.  I think there is something going on with the timing, maybe, and that maybe imports don't count towards the turn they arrive, or something.  It is just weird.
My factories lacked steel, but it happened just when I spent whole stock.
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Ed Anger

Got up to the end of 1851. My defensive pact ally Prussia has plopped 55,000 men within my borders. I don't care for that. I've got the Austrian economy singing, with 2 goods and a steel factory built and extra mines built. By cutting off goods exports in the one screen, I have scraped up enough goods to afford a Guard corps, another regular corps, 2 expedition brigades and a marine brigade. There may be trouble ahead, as I am nosing around in the Horn of Africa, mainly to head off the Wops. I plan on shoving that Marine brigade up their colonial asses.

Greasy wop fucks. I'm watching you moped riding assholes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: szmik on June 11, 2011, 02:31:22 PM
Now it is happening to West Point, despite the fact that I have plenty of cash and man goods, the only things WP requires.   :(

There must be something happening mid-turn that causes a temporary shortage, and the site closes down even though there are plenty of goods just before, and just after, the shutdown.  And you have to manually reactivate all those sites.

Interestingly, I had the Samoa crisis pop up again two turns after I lost the Samoa crisis decisively, and I again suffered a decisive defeat.  I now have only 100 prestige!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

sbr

Quote from: Norgy on June 11, 2011, 02:04:16 PM
I think (and I'd like to emphasize that) I read in the strategy guide that closed factories may open again once there are raw materials or whatever present?

I don't think the AI will ever reopen a factory that was shut down.  One of the devs said there is currently no way for the AI to differentiate between a factory shut down because of lack of resources and one intentionally closed by the player.

sbr

Quote from: grumbler on June 11, 2011, 04:21:48 PM
Quote from: szmik on June 11, 2011, 02:31:22 PM
Now it is happening to West Point, despite the fact that I have plenty of cash and man goods, the only things WP requires.   :(

There must be something happening mid-turn that causes a temporary shortage, and the site closes down even though there are plenty of goods just before, and just after, the shutdown.  And you have to manually reactivate all those sites.

I'll have to go back and see if I can find the post again but I saw something over at Paradox that mentioned this.  IIRC all decreases in resources happen early in the turn and the increases come later on.

sbr

Quote from: Tamas on June 11, 2011, 01:38:44 PM
Crisises over too minimal colonial penetrations (like Samoa for USA and Prussia at start), and factory closure messages not specifying reason are two things you can certainly look out for in the next patch, but don't quote me.  :ph34r:

The devs have pretty much confirmed the second.

Habbaku

Quote from: sbr on June 11, 2011, 05:21:40 PM

Why would the devs add more crises over minimal colonial penetrations and make factory closures more opaque?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

sbr

Quote from: Habbaku on June 11, 2011, 05:26:47 PM
Quote from: sbr on June 11, 2011, 05:21:40 PM

Why would the devs add more crises over minimal colonial penetrations and make factory closures more opaque?

<_<

grumbler

The whole idea of Prussia and the US being involved in a crisis over Samoa in 1850 is absurd, of course.  Not sure what anyone was thinking (if, indeed, they were thinking at all) when this was proposed.

The crisis of 1887-1889 involved conditions that simply could not apply in 1850.  Germany didn't even exist in 1850, and the idea that Americans would give a shit about the islands in 1850 is absurd.

That isn't the key issue for me, though.  The key issue is that the diplomatic options are so opaque that the player cannot make sensible decisions - let alone fun ones.

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

The AI ally just moving its forces all over my territory has gotten silly.

150,000 Prussians show up uninvited to the Balkan coast. Sleepy Radetzky is sleepy in Venice.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Are they in war with somebody?  :huh: