Dutch government to ban tourists from cannabis shops

Started by Strix, May 27, 2011, 09:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

The most interesting finding is how high (pun: intended) the Czechs score. I know Prague is awash with drugs, but with beer both cheaply and readily available, I'd have expected a lower score there.

Josquius

Quote from: Norgy on May 29, 2011, 10:07:23 AM
The most interesting finding is how high (pun: intended) the Czechs score. I know Prague is awash with drugs, but with beer both cheaply and readily available, I'd have expected a lower score there.

It is a bit odd yeah.
I guess they're one of the richer countries in eastern Europe and one of the most irreligious too. Maybe most urbanised too?
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Bluebook on May 29, 2011, 09:36:44 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 29, 2011, 09:13:04 AM
Actually, by all logic, legalization of specific drugs doesn't lead to increased drug use.  It can change the mix of drugs used (current laws favor alcohol use, which is one of the worst drugs out there in both social and health costs), but it doesn't increase overall use.

Druggies will be druggies.  What an intelligent and logical society will do is channel their craving for drugs into the least-costly mix.

So your argument is that drug use in a society is constant, and the only thing that is variable is the ratio of drugs being consumed?
No.  My argument is contained in my post: "What an intelligent and logical society will do is channel their craving for drugs into the least-costly mix."

QuoteIf one drug is removed, all users will switch over to some other drug. If a new drug is introduced, no new drug users appear, instead some users will discard their current drug and switch to the new one?

Sorry, Im not buying that, in fact I find the theory ludicrous.
I find the strawman ludicrous.  Why not focus on what I wrote, and not on your strawman?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!