The Nazis tried to create an army of talking dogs

Started by Malthus, May 26, 2011, 09:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Heh, I wonder if this is legit.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20110526/wl_time/httpnewsfeedtimecom20110525hownaziscientststriedtocreateanarmyoftalkingdogsxidrssfullworldyahoo

QuoteAccording to the book, scientists envisioned a day when dogs would serve alongside German troops, and perhaps free up SS officers by guarding concentration camps. So to unlock all that canine potential, Hitler set up a Tier-Sprechschule (Animal Talking School) near Hanover and recruited "educated dogs" from throughout the country. Teachers claimed a number of incredible findings. An Airedale terrier named Rolf became a mythic figure of the project after teachers said he could spell by tapping his paw on a board (the number of taps represented the various letters of the alphabet). With that skill in hand, he mused on religion, learned foreign languages and even asked a noblewoman, "Can you wag your tail?" Perhaps most outlandish is the claim by his German masters that he asked to serve in the German army because he disliked the French. Another mutt barked "Mein Fuhrer" when asked to describe Hitler. And Don, a German pointer, is said to have imitated a human voice to bark, "Hungry! Give me cakes!" in German.

:lol:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Viking

Nazis need the talking dogs to fight off the soviet orang-human hybrids.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on May 26, 2011, 09:16:47 AM
Heh, I wonder if this is legit.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20110526/wl_time/httpnewsfeedtimecom20110525hownaziscientststriedtocreateanarmyoftalkingdogsxidrssfullworldyahoo

QuoteAccording to the book, scientists envisioned a day when dogs would serve alongside German troops, and perhaps free up SS officers by guarding concentration camps. So to unlock all that canine potential, Hitler set up a Tier-Sprechschule (Animal Talking School) near Hanover and recruited "educated dogs" from throughout the country. Teachers claimed a number of incredible findings. An Airedale terrier named Rolf became a mythic figure of the project after teachers said he could spell by tapping his paw on a board (the number of taps represented the various letters of the alphabet). With that skill in hand, he mused on religion, learned foreign languages and even asked a noblewoman, "Can you wag your tail?" Perhaps most outlandish is the claim by his German masters that he asked to serve in the German army because he disliked the French. Another mutt barked "Mein Fuhrer" when asked to describe Hitler. And Don, a German pointer, is said to have imitated a human voice to bark, "Hungry! Give me cakes!" in German.

Seems to be at least partially legit; the periodical cited apparently exists.  Whether Bondeson was looking at the German equivalent of The Onion is unclear.  The details are all very vague (suspiciously so, IMO).  Hitler set up this school, according to Bondeson, and yet one of the dogs tells a reporter that the dog is going to vote for Hindenburg? 

I smell a rat.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Damn, that's funny.  Too bad they didn't have Youtube back then.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

The Nazis would have been so OSSUM if they hadn't been so damn evil. :weep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on May 26, 2011, 10:40:10 AM

They had such snappy uniforms. And the deaths head is just so faboo.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

I kind of think of Hermann Goering as a prototype Elvis, except his talent was stealing instead of singing. :)

Malthus

They could have called their dog-army the Woofen-SS.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on May 26, 2011, 10:43:27 AM
I kind of think of Hermann Goering as a prototype Elvis, except his talent was stealing instead of singing. :)

he loved his toy trains.

I thing Goering is why I have a lingering distrust of people who play with trains.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on May 26, 2011, 10:40:10 AM

If only they had stuck to making fetish gear, and not gone in for politics.

Caliga

I think I'll commission some hippie to paint me a Velvet Hermann. :cool:

Martim Silva

:lmfao:

Silly, but funny.

Quote from: Malthus
Woofen-SS

Quote from: Ed Anger
And the deaths head is just so faboo.

The Death's Head is a symbol of being a badass, not a Nazi, and was used WAY before the Nazis (just remember the Prussian 'Totenkopf' hussars).

Anyway, I think most people remember the German Kronprinz favourite uniform during WWI:

derspiess

Quote from: Martim Silva on May 26, 2011, 10:59:45 AM
The Death's Head is a symbol of being a badass, not a Nazi, and was used WAY before the Nazis (just remember the Prussian 'Totenkopf' hussars).

True, but you could make a similar arguments about lots of other stuff associated with Nazis, even the swastika.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall