Looks like it is time for a new smartphone...

Started by Berkut, May 26, 2011, 09:02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

I wanted to get a Samsung Galaxy 2 or iPhone 3GS initially, but they're out of my price range.
The LG P500 is ~$170 on eBay. Probably fell off the back of a truck.  :ph34r:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

HisMajestyBOB

Bought the LG Optimus One P500 for $175.
If it sucks I'm blaming all of you for not speaking up.

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Alcibiades on October 12, 2011, 09:34:50 PM
Shoulda gone with the galaxy 2   :cool:

Too much :(
I was tempted by the Nexus S and iPhone 3GS, but both were $390 used & unlocked.
Both look sexy as hell.

Barrister

Should've gone with the iPhone 4S. :(

If that's too much, the iPhone 4 is much cheaper. :(

iPhone 3GS used for $390 doesn't sound right.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 13, 2011, 09:52:23 AM
Shoulda gone with the galaxy 2   :cool:

I was tempted by the Nexus S and iPhone 3GS, but both were $390 used & unlocked.
Both look sexy as hell.

Your LG phone should do fine.  I'd suggest going a bit minimalist with your apps & whatnot, but otherwise it should handle things quite well.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on October 13, 2011, 10:18:14 AM

iPhones have an insane resale value.  It's common to "make" money on the difference between the subsidized price you paid and what you sell it for used a couple years later.

And don't confused subsidized prices that carry 2 year commitments with no-contract prices.  You're paying $550 and up for an unsubsidized iPhone 4.

edit: It looks like used 3GS's are going for about $160-$190 on ebay.  $390 does seem way too high.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on October 13, 2011, 12:48:51 PM

iPhones have an insane resale value.  It's common to "make" money on the difference between the subsidized price you paid and what you sell it for used a couple years later.

And don't confused subsidized prices that carry 2 year commitments with no-contract prices.  You're paying $550 and up for an unsubsidized iPhone 4.

edit: It looks like used 3GS's are going for about $160-$190 on ebay.  $390 does seem way too high.

Of I recognize that iPhones are heavily subsidized.  But I was pretty sure you could buy an unlocked, new 3GS for less than $390 - but I couldn't find the unlocked price on Apple's site, and then I gave up.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HisMajestyBOB

That's about what I found for unlocked, no-contract phones on eBay and Amazon. Granted, it was refurbished or new, not used. I'm a bit cautious about getting actual used phones online.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: derspiess on October 13, 2011, 12:36:38 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 13, 2011, 09:52:23 AM
Shoulda gone with the galaxy 2   :cool:

Both look sexy as hell.

Your LG phone should do fine.  I'd suggest going a bit minimalist with your apps & whatnot, but otherwise it should handle things quite well.

That's good to hear :)
I'm not planning on using it for games at all, but there are some apps I would like to have. Translation/dictionaries, local subway maps, stuff like that.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HisMajestyBOB

My phone has arrived and I now get to set up my 2 gmail accounts (1 for spam, 1 for business) and my hotmail account (personal), plus facebook and youtube to work on it. :lol:

It's kind of exciting, in a way: this is my first new phone - my last phone was my very first cell, and I got it in like 2004.

DGuller

BTW, why does Motorola have so many fucking phone models?  They have six current versions of smartphones just for Verizon.

fhdz

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 23, 2011, 09:04:20 AM
Damn.  My droid is dying and they won't let me have an early upgrade.  So.. what will be hot, great, and not expensive in December?

Some nice Windows Phones from Nokia should be out by that point. I really, really like my HTC Arrive.
and the horse you rode in on

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!