News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Intrade Founder / CEO Dies

Started by alfred russel, May 25, 2011, 06:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Pedrito

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 25, 2011, 11:25:37 PM
Um, his wife was in labor, and he was on Everest?  Can we say "priorities?"
An Everest climb is usually planned at least twelve months in advance, and is a pretty expensive trip - in the order of some tens of thousand dollars.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

MadBurgerMaker

Hey a couple dudes paraglided off of Everest the other day:

http://outside-blog.away.com/blog/2011/05/climbers-paraglide-from-everest-summit-to-namche-bazaar.html

It has been done before, but it's still a much more interesting (and quicker heh) way of getting down. 

QuoteAn Everest climb is usually planned at least twelve months in advance, and is a pretty expensive trip - in the order of some tens of thousand dollars.

Yeah, just the climbing permits are running like $25k for a single person.  It gets cheaper when you bring a group, but you're still looking at $10,000+ just for that.  You still have to get the equipment together, get yourself over to the mountain, hire guides, etc.  Lots of planning and money involved, and there's only, what...two-three weeks a year when it's "safe" enough to head up there?

CountDeMoney

One of the potted plants at work was in an MBA program that, as part of his final class, had to go to China to a 10 day trip.  Insisted on going, even though it was scheduled for when his wife was in her 9th month.
Sure as shit, on the second day over there, he flew right back because she delivered. At least he got to listen to it on the cell phone. 

Talk about giving the lttle missus ammo for the rest of his life.  What a douche.

Eddie Teach

They should make a movie about that. Set it in World War II and have him meet the Dalai Lama.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 26, 2011, 04:27:51 AM
One of the potted plants at work was in an MBA program that, as part of his final class, had to go to China to a 10 day trip.  Insisted on going, even though it was scheduled for when his wife was in her 9th month.
Sure as shit, on the second day over there, he flew right back because she delivered. At least he got to listen to it on the cell phone. 

Talk about giving the lttle missus ammo for the rest of his life.  What a douche.
Well hopefully he got to expense that trip. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on May 26, 2011, 01:37:05 AM
QuoteAn Everest climb is usually planned at least twelve months in advance, and is a pretty expensive trip - in the order of some tens of thousand dollars.

Yeah, just the climbing permits are running like $25k for a single person.  It gets cheaper when you bring a group, but you're still looking at $10,000+ just for that.  You still have to get the equipment together, get yourself over to the mountain, hire guides, etc.  Lots of planning and money involved, and there's only, what...two-three weeks a year when it's "safe" enough to head up there?

If they'd been trying to have a baby, and not just oops, I'm pregnant - still odd priorities.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.