News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Raccoon triggers Peru power outage

Started by C.C.R., May 25, 2011, 07:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.C.R.

It's from this past Saturday, but I've been busy...

http://www.newstrib.com/articles/news/local/default.asp?article=27749&aname=Raccoon+triggers+Peru+power+outage

QuoteRaccoon triggers Peru power outage
By Craig Sterrett
[email protected]

All of Peru lost power just before 4:15 a.m. today, but Peru's municipal electric infrastructure apparently suffered no damage. A raccoon was not as fortunate.
"A coon got in the main switch gear," Peru Municipal Electric supervisor Jim Potthoff said at about 4:40 a.m. as he walked out of one of the city's Water Street facilities west of the old power plant, about 10 minutes after he and workers got the power.
Potthoff said when he learned power was out throughout town, the outage had to be at one of two places because it was not from Ameren's feed. Peru workers who came to the substation along Water Street quickly figured out what happened.
It was obvious that a raccoon had gotten on top of a "35,000-volt buss." A relay "did its job" properly, causing a breaker to open, kick off power and prevent damage to equipment.
Fred Westmoreland said he was in the 1700 block of Main Street at 4:13 a.m. when he heard a boom "and then all the lights went out."
Generators at Peru fire and police stations as well as Illinois Valley Community Hospital also "did their job," providing backup power for the facilities.

I'm still not sure what amused me more -- the flash-fried raccoon that knocked the power out in the entire town or the barely literate prose of the author.  And I have to breath the same air as these people...

<_<

jimmy olsen

I was expecting a much more spectacular story when I clicked on this link.  :hmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

C.C.R.

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 25, 2011, 07:57:12 AM
I was expecting a much more spectacular story when I clicked on this link.  :hmm:

Sorry, Timmay -- I don't have as much experience as you do with posting links to news articles...

:P

KRonn

This is actually a pretty big story. ALL OF PERU lost power because of this raccoon!

The Brain

Didn't some coons fried by a power station start the riots in France some years ago?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on May 25, 2011, 08:13:14 AM
Didn't some coons fried by a power station start the riots in France some years ago?

Well, not them but their homies since it was obviously a police conspiracy. :tinfoil: