News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So we hit the debt limit...

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on August 04, 2011, 08:02:26 PM
Give it up for Berlusconi--for the first time in over 1500 years, he has the world terrified of what the Italian people might unleash on them.

You mean aside from "Bunga Bunga"?  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

Oh hell. Here we go again.

Sen. Jon Kyl (R-AZ) threatened to quit the Super Committee Thursday morning Bloomberg reports — hours after the deficit cutting group's first meeting — telling DC conference that he would leave the committee before accepting any cuts to defense spending.

Bloomberg is reporting Kyl said the committee can find the required $1.5 trillion in savings without further cuts to defense spending.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Minsky Moment

Proposition 1: The US federal fiscal position is precarious, and the US risks default if it does not take immediate strong action to take deficits under control.
Proposition 2:  Markets are reasonably efficient in the semi-strong efficient sense of asset prices reflecting publicly available information in an unbiased way.

Fact: Yields on US federal government treasury securities are 0.20% for 2-year bonds, 0.91% for 5-year, and 2.04% for 10 years.  The fact is from the newspaper, reporting yesterdays rates.

Given that fact, at least one of Proposition 1 or 2 must be false.

I would be curious to ask the GOP Presidential candidates which one they think is wrong, but I suspect fewer than half of them would understand the question.

[NOTE: edited to fix slight errors in yields as reported in the OP, main impact was 2-yr is sightly higher, the longer maturities lower)]
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Proposition 3: the US is running annual deficits that put it on the path to unsustainibility in the medium term.

This is consistent with proposition (fact) 2.

Unless you think the model of debt/GDP that determines risk premiums for every other country in the world somehow doesn't apply to the US.

frunk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 08, 2011, 12:52:22 PM
Proposition 3: the US is running annual deficits that put it on the path to unsustainibility in the medium term.

This is consistent with proposition (fact) 2.

Unless you think the model of debt/GDP that determines risk premiums for every other country in the world somehow doesn't apply to the US.

Is medium term further than 10 years out?  Otherwise I would expect the 10 year yield to be going up.

MadImmortalMan

US debt is still the safest crap investment out there with Europe imploding. That's why the rates are low. We have to take our turn in the bankruptcy line, you see.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: frunk on September 08, 2011, 12:58:27 PM
Is medium term further than 10 years out?  Otherwise I would expect the 10 year yield to be going up.

Medium term is maybe 3 to 5ish.

Take a look at the historical PIIGS yields before the shit hit the fan.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 08, 2011, 12:52:22 PM

That would imply a much higher yield on the 10 year if the market efficiency hypothesis holds.

Also the 30 year is at 3.35%.  By way of historical context, average inflation rates in the US over the past 75-100 years are in the vicinity of 3.5 percent.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 08, 2011, 12:02:47 PM
Oh hell. Here we go again.

Sen. Jon Kyl (R-AZ) threatened to quit the Super Committee Thursday morning Bloomberg reports — hours after the deficit cutting group's first meeting — telling DC conference that he would leave the committee before accepting any cuts to defense spending.

Bloomberg is reporting Kyl said the committee can find the required $1.5 trillion in savings without further cuts to defense spending.

Of course. We can solve the debt problem by just cutting Planned Parenthood and PBS - once we are proper conservatives, God will shower us with money!
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

MadImmortalMan

The next treasury auction will breach the new debt ceiling.

The Minsky Moment

Another $500 billion kicks in this month unless there is a disapproval vote.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

Well, if Jon Kyl is on the committee, I think it's pretty much doomed to failure.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on September 08, 2011, 06:46:48 PM
Well, if Jon Kyl is on the committee, I think it's pretty much doomed to failure.

Take him off and the probability of agreement would skyrocket to zero.

Razgovory

That was the idea.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 08, 2011, 07:02:04 PM

Take him off and the probability of agreement would skyrocket to zero.
Well, if the Republicans intend to torpedo an agreement, then what's the point?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.