News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How can I become more intelligent?

Started by Siege, May 16, 2011, 08:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Well, your IQ is the ratio of your real age to your mental age, so I suggest you stop watching the Disney channel.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Slargos

Quote from: Monoriu on May 16, 2011, 08:55:59 PM
I think "improving intelligence" is far too generic.  You need to break it down into digestable components.  Some mental skills that I find particularly useful are critical thinking and exposure.  Critical thinking allows you to evaluate your own performance effectively, and to differentiate between crap and useful information.  Exposure lets you see from different points of view and to make connections among bits and pieces.  Apart from all that, nothing beats "practice makes perfect".  If you do a job 100 times, each time looking for improvement, you'll do a much better job than someone who does it for the first few times.

For shame, Monoriu. You should know constructive answers are not wanted nor needed here.  :mad:

viper37

Quote from: Siege on May 16, 2011, 08:28:57 PM
Reading books is not enough.
What else can I do?

Read the good kind of books.  Most universities offer their syllabus on-line nowadays, complete with working material and recommended chapters.
Find the field that interest you, gather these books and read.  Once you're done, read again.  And once more for the road.

What was it recently... something like "a mind is a weapon, and it needs books just like your sword needs limestone".  Yeah, I think that was it ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Slargos

Quote from: viper37 on May 17, 2011, 12:22:20 AM
What else can I do?

Read the good kind of books.  Most universities offer their syllabus on-line nowadays, complete with working material and recommended chapters.
Find the field that interest you, gather these books and read.  Once you done, read again.  And once more for the road.

You should take your own advice.  :hmm:

Martinus

Why are people giving serious advice?  :huh:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Brain teasers are a good way to keep the noggin worked out:
http://brainden.com/

http://www.websudoku.com/

Also, do crossword puzzles. Preferrably ones that give hints that require you to think and not only reproduce learned information.
http://www.crossword-puzzles.co.uk/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on May 17, 2011, 01:34:58 AM

Are you intelligent enough to give a serious answer :contract:

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on May 17, 2011, 01:34:58 AM

Because we take Siegy seriously and believe he has potential.

If you wonder, now, why we never give you serious advice... well...

dps

Try just staying sober more often.

The Brain

I need to improve my intelligence level.
How can I do that?
I read a lot, and doens't make any diference.

What else can I do?

What exactly do you mean "intelligence level"? If you want to score better on IQ tests my impression is that doing a lot of IQ tests will help you. Or do you want to be better at intelligent conversation?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Buy a book on basic logic.

Read a quality daily newspaper.

Read your way through an encyclopedia.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 17, 2011, 09:28:58 AM
Read your way through an encyclopedia.
Read Wikipedia and all the quoted sources :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Siegey, you're smart enough.  I know we knock you on this board, but you aren't a dim bulb by any stretch.

Besides,

QuoteThough I said to myself, "Behold, I have become great and stored up wisdom beyond all who were before me in Jerusalem, and my mind has broad experience of wisdom and knowledge";

yet when I applied my mind to know wisdom and knowledge, madness and folly, I learned that this also is a chase after wind.

For in much wisdom there is much sorrow, and he who stores up knowledge stores up grief.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on May 17, 2011, 10:00:30 AM
Siegey, you're smart enough.  I know we knock you on this board, but you aren't a dim bulb by any stretch.

Besides,

QuoteThough I said to myself, "Behold, I have become great and stored up wisdom beyond all who were before me in Jerusalem, and my mind has broad experience of wisdom and knowledge";

yet when I applied my mind to know wisdom and knowledge, madness and folly, I learned that this also is a chase after wind.

For in much wisdom there is much sorrow, and he who stores up knowledge stores up grief.

Sour grapes. Being super intelligent is totally awesome, makes you happy as fuck. My life isn't misery.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.