News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Question to Americans about the GOP

Started by Martim Silva, May 15, 2011, 07:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 16, 2011, 09:21:55 AM
To answer Martim, the United States is a little different from Europe electorally.

For example, we don't have fascist parties that get 20%+ of the vote.  We don't have communist and "Trotskyite" parties that get 20%+ of the vote.  We don't have "Green" parties that advocate dismantling large swaths of modern industrial infrastructure.  We don't have viable national parties that just represent a single ethnic group (Scots, Flemish, Basques, etc).  We don't have parties that are just wings of large Italian media companies, and we don't have parties that have platforms items like confiscating private pensions and eliminating freedom of the press.

Once all those commonplaces of European political life are removed, there isn't a lot of places for some of our confused or eccentric citizens to go.  So some clever people invented the GOP, which channels those people into mostly harmless sorts of things like tax cuts for dead rich people, prayers at high school football games, and protecting the legal status of gun shows.  It's not ideal, but it would be a lot worse, as European politics always helpfully reminds us.

Best
Counter
Troll
Ever.

+1
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

The US is a country and Europe is a continent. Not many Americans know this.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martim Silva on May 16, 2011, 07:04:32 AM
In that regards, Yi did shed some light to the general idea, though that would imply a strong cultural rift between Europeans and Americans in that particular area.

Of course.  The US has no experience with feudalism for one.

Fun fact: the 250K + tax bracket was created by Bill Clinton.  Before that the top rate started at 89k.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on May 16, 2011, 11:17:08 AM

Europeans can't agree amongst themselves exactly what Europe is or should be or even where it begins and ends.  The only thing that can be said with some certainty is that it was named after a Middle Eastern rape victim.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

Martim is just dismayed that we don't have any parties crazy enough for him to want to vote for them.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 16, 2011, 11:30:22 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 16, 2011, 11:17:08 AM

Europeans can't agree amongst themselves exactly what Europe is or should be or even where it begins and ends.  The only thing that can be said with some certainty is that it was named after a Middle Eastern rape victim.

Only the North Germanic parts matter.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

The top federal individual tax rate is 35%. Obama thinks it should be 39.5%. Bush ran on a 33% platform. These aren't dramatic differences.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on May 16, 2011, 11:34:06 AM
Only the North Germanic parts matter.

Slargos tells me they will soon be the Somalian parts.  I look forward to the pirates infesting the Baltic Sea.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on May 16, 2011, 11:59:56 AM
The top federal individual tax rate is 35%. Obama thinks it should be 39.5%. Bush ran on a 33% platform. These aren't dramatic differences.

I read somewhere that he wants to raise it to 44.5.

DGuller

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

frunk

Because 44.5 is pretty close to 44, which is really just 40, which is most of the way to 25.  44.99 is awfully close to 45, which is really 50 in disguise.  So you can see there's almost 25% difference between the two.

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 16, 2011, 03:09:45 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 16, 2011, 11:59:56 AM

I read somewhere that he wants to raise it to 44.5.

I thought he ran on going back to the pre Bush tax cut rates which were just under 40%, and google searches seem to confirm this. Could the 44.5% somehow relate to eliminating the cap for social security taxes?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on May 16, 2011, 05:41:19 PM
I thought he ran on going back to the pre Bush tax cut rates which were just under 40%, and google searches seem to confirm this. Could the 44.5% somehow relate to eliminating the cap for social security taxes?

Could be. 

To clarify, are you talking about the additional Medicare tax on filthy rich billionares to help finance Obamacare, or some new proposal?