Attempts to legalize same-sex marriage are 'Orwellian social engineering'

Started by garbon, May 13, 2011, 04:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/05/13/2011-05-13_archibishop_timothy_dolan_attempts_to_legalize_samesex_marriage_are_orwellian_so.html

QuoteThe state's top Catholic Friday equated efforts to legalize gay marriage to "Orwellian social engineering."

Archibishop Timothy Dolan on his blog wrote that "history, natural law, the Bible...the religions of the world, human experience, and just plain gumption tells us" marriage is between a man and a woman.

"The definition of marriage is hardwired into our human reason," Dolan wrote.

"To tamper with that definition, or to engage in some Orwellian social engineering about the nature and purpose of marriage, is perilous to all of us."

He asks if the definition is changed to include gays, "could it not in the future be morphed again to include multiple spouses or even family members?"

Government, he wrote, would be better off fixing the school systems than redefining marriage.

"If big, intrusive government can re-define the most basic, accepted, revealed truth that marriage simply means one man+one woman+(hopefully) children, in a loving family, then I'm afraid, Orwell's works will no longer be on the fiction shelf."

Dolan denied his opposition to gay marriage is born out of hatred and discrimination - even going so far as to say those who defend traditional marriage have been targets of harassment.

He said the Church teaches against discrimination and hatred toward gays, specifying that homosexual acts are not in conformity "with God's design."

Dolan's blog post came as gay rights activists work to secure needed votes in the state Senate to legalize same-sex marriage.

Gov. Cuomo has made it a top priority of his legislative agenda.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jamesww

Quote from: garbon on May 13, 2011, 04:40:59 PM

OP worthless without Timmayesque, "That'll teach them", "This doesn't make any sense" " :mad:" etc.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Too bad for Bishop Timmay everyone's reason is not hardwired the same way his is.  Fortunate for the rest of us however.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

"The definition of marriage is hardwired into our human reason," Dolan wrote.

No it's not. The desire to fuck as many people as possible as much as possible is.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote"The definition of marriage is hardwired into our human reason," Dolan wrote.

Must have taken some major re-wiring, then, to don a dress and start molesting young boys.

Not to mention, I wonder if anyone ever told Christians that, as things go, worshipping a 30-something dude is pretty fucking gay.

The Brain

The Catholics have a lot of nerve showing their perverted faces anywhere. Fucking pedophile scum. Nuke them.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on May 13, 2011, 05:31:02 PM
The Catholics have a lot of nerve showing their perverted faces anywhere. Fucking pedophile scum. Nuke them.
I like the jib of your cut. :thumbsup:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

BuddhaRhubarb

I missed all that gay sex in 1964... maybe my copy was redacted.
:p

Norgy

QuoteOrwell's works will no longer be on the fiction shelf

Ah, a good book-burning! Haven't had a good fiction BBQ since 1938.

Ideologue

I'm don't 100% recall, but I'm pretty sure Ingsoc outlawed fags, right?  I mean, they practically outlawed straight people.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

I don't think it was touched on in "1984". If it was outlawed, though, Orwell would have probably agreed. He was a rather nasty person in real life.