Harvard shocked by Canada’s rejection of Ignatieff

Started by crazy canuck, May 12, 2011, 11:00:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Imagine how bad he'd have lost if he was from Yale.

Josephus

Quote from: Razgovory on May 12, 2011, 10:46:39 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2011, 11:00:48 AM

Turns out Havard is agast that Canadians wouldnt elect one of their own.

He still a mod over at Pdox?

LOL. Second time in two days I've spilled my morning coffee. :lmfao:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 12, 2011, 08:29:20 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2011, 11:00:48 AM
Turns out Havard is agast that Canadians wouldnt elect one of their own.

Makes for a fun thread I guess, but don't see where you got that from in the article.

Quote"Harvard sees itself as the centre of the universe, so I'm sure it felt it very deeply," said Graham Wilson, chair of Boston University's department of political science.

:hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

OK, if you want to take Graham Wilson's word for it.  Based on the thread title I expected more Harvardians to be actually agasting on the record.  Instead the direct quotes were more along the lines of concern that the "Ivy League Intellectual" theme might be crossing the border.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 13, 2011, 08:59:21 AM
OK, if you want to take Graham Wilson's word for it.

So what you really meant is you disagree with the analysis in the article not that you dont know where the idea is mentioned in the article.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 13, 2011, 06:30:54 AM
Imagine how bad he'd have lost if he was from Yale.

:spit take: Do you work for MAD magazine? kutgw
:p

Malthus

OK, if you want to take Graham Wilson's word for it.  Based on the thread title I expected more Harvardians to be actually agasting on the record.  Instead the direct quotes were more along the lines of concern that the "Ivy League Intellectual" theme might be crossing the border.

I dunno, why should I take the chair of the department of political science at Boston U's word for how Harvard, in general, views a matter of political science?

That would just be crazy.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on May 13, 2011, 12:52:57 PM

I dunno, why should I take the chair of the department of political science at Boston U's word for how Harvard, in general, views a matter of political science?

That would just be crazy.  :D

Well he's at BU...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jamesww

It's a pity, as he did a worthwhile series about 'Death of Yugoslavia'; should have stayed a broadcaster.

OttoVonBismarck

Obviously Canadian elections get no attention at all in America. But I noted with humor that this time around, with massive tornadoes destroying the South, the Royal Wedding which millions of American women were super excited about, and Osama bin Laden getting his brains blown out the Canadian election may have been the most overshadowed one in the history of Canada.

Neil

Yeah, the last election got some coverage on the 24-hour news stations, but this one the day after Osama's death was a total non-event on CNN.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on May 13, 2011, 08:44:22 PM
Obviously Canadian elections get no attention at all in America. But I noted with humor that this time around, with massive tornadoes destroying the South, the Royal Wedding which millions of American women were super excited about, and Osama bin Laden getting his brains blown out the Canadian election may have been the most overshadowed one in the history of Canada.

I couldn't even find news articles about it in US papers unless I dug deep into the International section. :(
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Capetan Mihali

I couldn't help but notice a pall over the entire institution when I walked through the campus today.   :( 

EDIT:  In seriousness, I'd never heard of him until the election.  I don't think he is as associated with Harvard as, e.g. Edward Said was with Columbia or Harold Bloom with Yale, etc. 

And the only Canadians I'm friendly with here are blood-orange lefties, so they weren't all that sad...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Syt

Quotehttp://"They don't fully appreciate that as great a relationship as we have, the United States and Canada, as close as we are, it's important to Canadians to be Canadian, not American,"

Sounds like Germany and Austria.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.