3D singing hologram becomes one of Japan's biggest pop stars

Started by jimmy olsen, May 12, 2011, 08:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Pretty impressive hologram, but a bit creepy. I can't wait to see Lettow's interpretation.  :hmm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTXO7KGHtjI&feature=player_embedded

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1329040/Japanese-3D-singing-hologram-Hatsune-Miku-nations-biggest-pop-star.html

QuoteJapanese 3D singing hologram Hatsune Miku becomes nation's strangest pop star

By Niall Firth

Last updated at 2:14 PM on 12th November 2010

She is cute, stylish and has had a number one chart-topping single.

But Japan's newest and biggest pop star differs from most of her peers in one crucial aspect: she is a hologram.

Hatsune Miku has taken the music scene by storm in her native Japan where her concerts are always sold out and are full of screaming, adoring fans.

Now, like something out of a science fiction film, videos have emerged which show Miku on tour in Japan, singing a selection of hits.

Miku is a digital avatar created by Japanese technology firm Crypton Future Media that customers can purchase and then program to perform any song on their computer.

She is supposed to be 16 years old and five foot two inches tall but her makers have given little away about her personality.

Crypton uses voices recorded by actors and then puts them through Yamaha's Vocaloid software to create its characters.

Miku's voice was created by taking vocal samples from the voice actress Saki Fujita. All of the samples contained a single Japanese sound which when strung together would create full words and phrases.

Her music and image have proved so popular that she has now gone on a sell-out tour where thousands of fans wave light sticks and scream as if she is a real-life pop star.

It is the first time a hologram has been used on stage in this way, moving and strutting just like a real pop star.

Gorillaz, the band fronted by Damon Albarn, used projected holograms at the MTV music awards in 2005 and 2006 but these were projected onto a back screen, rather than in full three dimensions.

Miku has become such a star that she already has a fan club, Facebook page and has set up 'her' own record label. She has also appeared in a number of episodes of popular Japanese anime TV programs.

She performed her first 'live' concert in 2009 and has also travelled to Singapore on tour.

In March 2010 three metal plates with Hatsune Miku's image etched on them were placed on board Japanese spacecraft Akatsuki and sent into space after a nationwide petition with more than 14,000 signatures demanded she be included.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Brazen

I worked with the author at my last job  :P  Now he's at the Daily Wail :weep:

Brazen

Malthus

Yet more proof that the Japanese were nuked either too much or not enough.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Slargos

Fucking awesome. I wonder how long it will take the japaneese to solve the flesh-problem entirely.  :hmm:

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Siege

Amazing.

And to think that just last night I watched "Vexille", an anime in which Japan isolate itself from tje world and they all become cyborgs.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Josquius

So apparently this is full commercial software.
The singing that is, not the hologram.
██████
██████
██████

Martim Silva

Quote from: Slargos on May 12, 2011, 09:19:49 AM
Fucking awesome. I wonder how long it will take the japaneese to solve the flesh-problem entirely.  :hmm:

And then conquer Earth with massive armies of anime schoolgirls?  :hmm:

Quote from: Siegebreaker
And to think that just last night I watched "Vexille", an anime in which Japan isolate itself from tje world and they all become cyborgs.

Added to my 'to watch' list.

That said, I always wanted to become a full-body cyborg. Hope they get the technology right in the next few decades.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martim Silva

Quote from: Tyr on May 12, 2011, 06:01:06 PM
So apparently this is full commercial software.
The singing that is, not the hologram.

Yes, Vocaloids can sing for themselves.

Pretty cool, if one thinks about it.