Massachusetts governor signs "three strikes" bill

Started by KRonn, August 11, 2012, 07:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Martinus on August 12, 2012, 07:33:15 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 12, 2012, 06:39:16 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 12, 2012, 06:35:41 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 12, 2012, 06:12:00 AM
Eh, I rather let judges decide on these type things.

Yeah. I don't think removal of an ability to make a decision is a good solution to people who make bad decisions.
Depends on whether the criminals get back to the streets because of decisions by the judge or decisions by the parole board. If it is because of the board then finding new members would be just as effective.

I thought the three strikes laws are about reducing the discretion judges, not parole boards have.
It is.  But the law sounds like it is about keeping them in prison too, not just sentencing them.
PDH!

garbon

Yeah, this particular law seems configured a bit differently.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Strix

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Strix

Yeah. I don't think removal of an ability to make a decision is a good solution to people who make bad decisions.
Depends on whether the criminals get back to the streets because of decisions by the judge or decisions by the parole board. If it is because of the board then finding new members would be just as effective.

I thought the three strikes laws are about reducing the discretion judges, not parole boards have.

It is, Raz didn't understand.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

garbon

Quote from: Strix on August 12, 2012, 12:50:23 PM

QuoteThe law makes criminals who have been convicted three times of specific violent crimes ineligible for parole, forcing them to serve a full sentence, and enforces completion of previous sentences consecutive to completion of the latest sentence.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2012, 01:24:42 PM
Quote from: Strix on August 12, 2012, 12:50:23 PM

QuoteThe law makes criminals who have been convicted three times of specific violent crimes ineligible for parole, forcing them to serve a full sentence, and enforces completion of previous sentences consecutive to completion of the latest sentence.

Strix and Marty were/are missing that this bill is set up a bit differently than other three strikes bills.

KRonn

Quote from: Martinus on August 12, 2012, 01:52:48 AM
I don't see any of the justifications used to really make sense for this kind of law. Barring a judical error (which can be corrected on appeal), the evident examples quoted by people like Tim and others usually do carry a long sentence, so such laws are not necessary to address that. On the other hand, such laws essentially prevent justice being served by imposing a fixed penalty in a situation where it would be equitable to reduce the penalty.

And the fact that someone has committed prior offences does not mean that in this particular instance his penalty shouldn't be lower.

The fact that this is a violent crime or any other type of crime doesn't change the assessment. For example, you may have a guy guilty of two prior violent beatings. He gets out early for good behaviour, having served 5 years out of, say, 20, becomes a model citizen, starts a family, and his daughter is brutally raped by someone. He finds the guy and beats the living shit out of him - and goes to prison for 25+.

As others also point out, many violent, repeat offenders are out and commit another felony - rape, murder, murder of cops, kidnap/kill kids. I see it too often and every time I just can't believe the person was out of prison at all, or that he/she didn't serve their full time.

KRonn

Speaking of which, as you probably know Wags, Massachusetts has been investigating the parole board for various serious problems. One I believe is the case mentioned in this article where  a guy with a lengthy record was let out and he killed a cop. Aside from such parole partronage issues, I believe the Feds are assisting in investigating various illegalities in the MA parole board/system.