News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Oblivion character generation, etc

Started by Alatriste, April 16, 2009, 06:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alatriste

Quote from: grumbler on May 05, 2009, 06:49:33 AM
Yes, Ayleid ruins can be like that.  Have you tried using "detect trap" spells?

As far as I know they don't exist in standard Oblivion (I'm playing the PS3 version; a gift from my family)

The game ways are forcing me to consider modifying my 'you die, you are dead' rule to implement a new 'seven lives only' policy (spanish cats have only 7  lives). As long as this rule prevents a cycle of playing carelessly, taking excessive risks, being killed, reloading and taking revenge it will be OK.

Just killed three ogres without an scratch. Caution, stealth, judicious use of high ground and poisoned arrows rule, specially if you are the one making the poison!

Norgy

On a slightly related note, I fired up Morrowind this afternoon.
Some memories are best left unsullied by other, more modern experiences.  :cry:

The Minsky Moment

OK have come up with a tentative mod list to install - thinking of the following:

FCOM
KCAS
L.A.M.E.
Stealth Overhaul
Phinix Immersive Dark UI
Natural Environments
Better Cities
Animated Window Lighting System
Kvatch Rebuilt
DZ Autoharvest
Cats & Rats

Am I missing any essential?  Am I including anything not advisable?  I thought about Deadly Reflex but it seems like a potentially disruptive mod.  Myabe I will try it in the next iteration.

I think I want to use one of the "Viewable When Distant" Mods - but there are a bunch of them and it isn't clear which is the best.  Any thoughts?
Same issue for the many body and face mods.

I also don't know what the better quest mods are - there seem to be a lot.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 26, 2009, 04:05:09 PM
OK have come up with a tentative mod list to install - thinking of the following:

FCOM
KCAS
L.A.M.E.
Stealth Overhaul
Phinix Immersive Dark UI
Natural Environments
Better Cities
Animated Window Lighting System
Kvatch Rebuilt
DZ Autoharvest
Cats & Rats

Am I missing any essential?  Am I including anything not advisable?  I thought about Deadly Reflex but it seems like a potentially disruptive mod.  Myabe I will try it in the next iteration.

I think I want to use one of the "Viewable When Distant" Mods - but there are a bunch of them and it isn't clear which is the best.  Any thoughts?
Same issue for the many body and face mods.

I also don't know what the better quest mods are - there seem to be a lot.
You have the key ones I play with.  I don't know how well-supported Robert's Female Body is any more, but his male body is the standard, and his female body should be.

Quest mods can be added and subtracted as you desire.

If you don't want to play the hero of the main quest, I would suggest "AltStart - Main Quest Cutoff."  It eliminates a lot of bullshit in the game.  Even if you want to do the main quest, there are mods to get rid of the random gate spawns.  With FCOM, you don't need them to have fun just wandering around.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

I Killed Kenny

what's the mod that kills the main quest?

ulmont

Quote from: I Killed Kenny on July 30, 2009, 11:16:05 AM

"AltStart - Main Quest Cutoff," based on the post immediately above yours...

I Killed Kenny

Quote from: ulmont on July 30, 2009, 11:53:29 AM
Quote from: I Killed Kenny on July 30, 2009, 11:16:05 AM

"AltStart - Main Quest Cutoff," based on the post immediately above yours...

I CAN?T READ SORRY

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

C.C.R.

I'm coming to the end of a two week stretch between jobs, and my daughter & I have been playing the living shit out of Oblivion for the last ten days or so (and having a blast).

I bought GOTY late last year & played (basically) vanilla for a couple of months, mostly because I wasn't ready yet to re-learn the In's & Out's of mods & mod ordering in yet another Elder Scrolls game (I modded the ever-loving hell out of Morrowind, but it took me a few years to get to that point).  Knowing that I was going to be off a couple of weeks, though, I edumacated myself on Wrye Bash, installed FCOM, KCAS & EyeCandy, and have been thoroughly enjoying myself.

I never got into Galsiah's with Morrowind, but KCAS is indispensible for Oblivion.  You're free to go do what you want to do for the sake of doing it, instead of working/training on specific skills just to get bonus improvements.  Good stuff...

grumbler

Quote from: C.C.R. on August 31, 2009, 01:19:53 PM
I never got into Galsiah's with Morrowind, but KCAS is indispensible for Oblivion.  You're free to go do what you want to do for the sake of doing it, instead of working/training on specific skills just to get bonus improvements.  Good stuff...
Agreed.  In fact, when I was debating with a Fallout 2 fan about advancement systems, I had completely forgotten that KCAS was not how Oblivion was originally written!  After Galsiah's mod for Morrowind, i wouldn't even play Oblivion until someone came out with a similar mod.

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: Alatriste on May 05, 2009, 02:29:29 AM
A bit frustrated by Ayleid ruins lately. I don't like saving when you enter a difficult spot and reloading if you get killed, if you die you are dead, period, go create a new character... but Ayleid ruins seem to include routinely traps that kill you in less than 5 seconds, deviced to make you try several times until you discover how to defeat them!
You play like that :blink:
Dying is part of gaming. Its how you learn.
If at first you don't suceed try and try again.

(and I've replied to something damn old, woops)
██████
██████
██████

Alcibiades

How old is your daughter now CCR?  Think she was born during Kapland times....brain hurts. :(
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

dps

I might start a new game of Oblivion tonight.  I'd rather play Daggerfall, but I can't figure out how to get it to run on my system.  Yeah, I've got Dosbox, but I still can't get it to work.   :(

C.C.R.

Quote from: Alcibiades on August 31, 2009, 05:00:09 PM
How old is your daughter now CCR?  Think she was born during Kapland times....brain hurts. :(

Jocelyn will be seven in October -- about six months older than the start of Kapland.  Something else to make me feel old...

:blink:

C.C.R.

Quote from: grumbler on August 31, 2009, 04:31:03 PM
After Galsiah's mod for Morrowind, i wouldn't even play Oblivion until someone came out with a similar mod.

I never bothered with Galsiah's mod because by the time I discovered it I had already made the need for it obsolete for myself.  I had hit a point with MW where I had a set script on what exactly I would do every time I started a new game -- what quests I would do, who I would train with to level up, etc.  I was spending a few hours "Power Gaming" in order to level up to a certain point before I could free-form it, so I modded myself a leveling ring, a nice house & some good starting equipment so that I could just go do whatever I wanted.

Some would say it was a cheat way to do it, but I had already gone that route before I heard about Galsiah's mod & there was no going back...