News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Oblivion character generation, etc

Started by Alatriste, April 16, 2009, 06:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on April 22, 2009, 05:30:58 AM
It works without issues for me.  I don't recall seeing any compatibility discussions except with Realswords and some other attribute-awarding items.

Do you use one of the mod managers? 

Also - do you use one of the stealth overhauls?

Also - do you install the unofficial patch before the other mods?  Or does FCOM take care of everything the unofficial patch does?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on April 22, 2009, 09:43:09 AM
It is not realistic but it is simple.  Simple is sometimes good.

Galsiah or Kobus eh?  Ok will look into them.  Mods are good.
Galsiah's is for Morrowind, Kobu's for Oblivion.

As you note, simplicity is good, and these are simpler than even ME or The Witcher - there are no decisions to make after setting them up.  Using skills gradualy improves them, and improving skills slowly improves the attribute(s) associated with those skills, and improving attributes eventually gives you the notice that you have leveled.  With FCOM, of course, you don't care much, as the world is not leveled, so only skill and attribute progression really means anything.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 22, 2009, 09:43:47 AM
Quote from: grumbler on April 22, 2009, 05:30:58 AM
It works without issues for me.  I don't recall seeing any compatibility discussions except with Realswords and some other attribute-awarding items.
Do you use one of the mod managers?
Just Wrye.  I found OBMM cumbersome and buggy, and Wrye bash now does everything OBMM did.

QuoteAlso - do you use one of the stealth overhauls?
I messed with JOG's Stealth OPverhaul, and have left it installed even though I don't use theives much any more.  Seems to work as advertised.

QuoteAlso - do you install the unofficial patch before the other mods?  Or does FCOM take care of everything the unofficial patch does?
I install the unofficial patches first.  I beleive that there are specialized versions of at least one of the unofficial patches for FCOM (or maybe for OOO).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Thanks, grumbler.

I will have more mod ?s for you a bit later.   :)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Norgy

I have found that apart from levelling and a couple of quest mods (Blood & Mud, Bartholm, Against The Zealots Of The Nine), I haven't really needed much else than FCOM. I've tried and rejected The Lost Spires and the biggest quest mod, Tears Of The Fiend, as I found them unstable and lacking any balancing or fun.

Okay, a couple of gfx mods.
- Female EyeCandy (kind of like BetterBodies for Morrowind)
- Nords With Beards
- NoGlowGrass

Also, the unofficial patches are a must, since the Mages Guild quest will crash and burn just when it gets interesting if you have the Repairing The Orrery official add-on.

All in all, FCOM and some mods have added hours of fun to Oblivion and made it my favourite non-strategy game of all times.

grumbler

Quote from: Norgy on April 22, 2009, 03:27:44 PM
I have found that apart from levelling and a couple of quest mods (Blood & Mud, Bartholm, Against The Zealots Of The Nine), I haven't really needed much else than FCOM. I've tried and rejected The Lost Spires and the biggest quest mod, Tears Of The Fiend, as I found them unstable and lacking any balancing or fun.
DSFDF, but I found The Lost Spires to be the second best quest mod in TES history (after The Underground 2 by Qarl for Morrowind) and enjoyed all three of Simyaz's quest mods (Tears of the Fiend, Ruined Tail's Tale, and Malevolent) though would agree that the first is the weakest.

Bayraktar!

Norgy

Sorry, forgot about Ruined Tail. That's a good one. And one deeply philosophical Argonian.  :D

Scipio

Bought the GOTY.  Hope I enjoy it more than Morrowind.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

barkdreg

I'm thinking about starting a game as a mage, any mods that I should use to improve th rather bad magic system?

grumbler

Quote from: barkdreg on May 04, 2009, 05:49:05 AM
I'm thinking about starting a game as a mage, any mods that I should use to improve th rather bad magic system?
That depends on what you don't like about the existing system.  I liked Mighty Majicka when i was a mage, but it became overpowering beyond level 20 or so.

Midas magic has some amusing spells and isn't so unbalanced.

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

I was thinking of using L.A.M.E.   thoughts?
--Joan Robinson

Alatriste

A bit frustrated by Ayleid ruins lately. I don't like saving when you enter a difficult spot and reloading if you get killed, if you die you are dead, period, go create a new character... but Ayleid ruins seem to include routinely traps that kill you in less than 5 seconds, deviced to make you try several times until you discover how to defeat them!

barkdreg

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 04, 2009, 09:47:36 AM
I've also started using LAME. Seems like the best and most fun magic mod.

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 04, 2009, 09:47:36 AM
Never used it, but the author says all the right things.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Alatriste on May 05, 2009, 02:29:29 AM
A bit frustrated by Ayleid ruins lately. I don't like saving when you enter a difficult spot and reloading if you get killed, if you die you are dead, period, go create a new character... but Ayleid ruins seem to include routinely traps that kill you in less than 5 seconds, deviced to make you try several times until you discover how to defeat them!
Yes, Ayleid ruins can be like that.  Have you tried using "detect trap" spells?

Bayraktar!