Professor Richard Holmes RIP

Started by jamesww, April 30, 2011, 06:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesww

Professor Richard Holmes, dies. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/uk-13251220

Professor Richard Holmes, acclaimed military historian, dies
01 May 11 00:06

The acclaimed military historian, Professor Richard Holmes CBE, has died at the age of 65.

Known for sharing his knowledge of warfare on BBC documentaries, he also taught at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst and Cranfield University.

His specialities included England's conflicts with France in the Middle Ages and World War II. He also wrote numerous books.

His focus was the ordinary soldier, whom he wanted to "put centre stage".

Prof Holmes was educated at Emmanuel College, Cambridge, as well as Northern Illinois University and the University of Reading.

He served in the Territorial Army in which he commanded the 2nd Battalion the Wessex Regiment and eventually rose to the rank of brigadier.

He became the first reservist to hold the position of director of Reserve Forces and Cadets.

After a spell of teaching at Sandhurst, he joined Cranfield University as a teacher in 1986 where he worked until 2009.

He was patron of the Guild of Battlefield Guides.

Its founder Major Graeme Cooper praised his unique style: "It was this in-depth, quiet and very, very accurate and acute assessment of what he was saying."

"The words were magical at times, and it brought to the listener a new angle on on how to approach that period of history," Maj Cooper added.

Prof Holmes was also a keen supporter of the Army Benevolent Fund, and was the president of the British Commission for Military History and the Battlefields Trust; and vice president of the UK National Defence Association. In 1998 he was made a CBE.

But he was probably best known for his television work, which included television documentaries on the Duke of Wellington, Sir Winston Churchill and Oliver Cromwell whom he championed in the BBC's Great Britons programme in 2002.

Sad news, we've lost a great communicator and at just 65. 

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

grumbler

Quote from: jamesww on April 30, 2011, 06:51:26 PM

His specialities included England's conflicts with France in the Middle Ages and World War II.
Britain's conflicts with France in WW2 is one of the great unspoken issues in history.  Pity one of the experts is gone. :(
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 30, 2011, 07:45:20 PM
Quote from: jamesww on April 30, 2011, 06:51:26 PM

His specialities included England's conflicts with France in the Middle Ages and World War II.
Britain's conflicts with France in WW2 is one of the great unspoken issues in history.  Pity one of the experts is gone. :(

Well nobody likes to talk about Mers-el-Kébir.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

That's sad. I have some of his books.  :(

The Brain

Quote from: Norgy on May 01, 2011, 02:57:30 AM
That's sad. I have some of his books.  :(

Well you can keep them now.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on April 30, 2011, 09:00:34 PM
Well nobody likes to talk about Mers-el-Kébir.
I do.  Dreadnought fights are awesome.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Scipio

RIP.  As great a loss as Magnus Magnusson.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!