News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Interesting Alt.Hist ??

Started by mongers, April 15, 2009, 09:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Inspired* by the Stuart debate in the Habsburg thread, clearly there are a few of us rather interested in British history of the period, I'd like to propose this question;

What might have happened if Monmouth's rebellion had suceeded in unseating James II ?

* Also I should note, on the day of his capture, Monmouth was held at a cottage 250 yards from where I'm sitting.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Weatherman

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

:huh:

Doesn't seem like that big a difference as James ended up getting booted anyway.
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Faeelin

Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on April 15, 2009, 09:47:45 PM
Doesn't seem like that big a difference as James ended up getting booted anyway.

I dunno. William came on the backs of a Dutch army, with somewhat unsteady support, and granted England's bill of rights.

The Duke of Monmouth might be more of a tradition of the Stuart Line, but protestant; an absolutist monarch.

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Quote from: Faeelin on April 15, 2009, 10:15:49 PM
Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on April 15, 2009, 09:47:45 PM

I dunno. William came on the backs of a Dutch army, with somewhat unsteady support, and granted England's bill of rights.

The Duke of Monmouth might be more of a tradition of the Stuart Line, but protestant; an absolutist monarch.

I don't think Parliament would have ceded too much to any monarch.
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

garbon

Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on April 15, 2009, 10:58:28 PM
I don't think Parliament would have ceded too much to any monarch.

Would they have the stamina to overthrow a third monarch?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.