Pelosi calls for panel to probe Wall Street

Started by garbon, April 15, 2009, 05:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2009, 10:07:48 AM
Are you kidding?  The proper solution to a system wide failure is to locate scapegoats.

Are you kidding? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2009, 10:12:34 AM
Are you kidding? :unsure:

Yes.  If Congress wants to know who is responsible ultimately they need to look in the mirror.  But really they mostly need to work on getting the economy turned around, or at least attempt to minimize the damage.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2009, 10:13:53 AM
Yes.  If Congress wants to know who is responsible ultimately they need to look in the mirror.  But really they mostly need to work on getting the economy turned around, or at least attempt to minimize the damage.

I don't see how witch hunting gets us anywhere closer to a better economy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2009, 10:15:31 AM

Right I was being incredibly sarcastic.  That is why when you asked if I was kidding I said 'yes'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2009, 10:16:38 AM
Right I was being incredibly sarcastic.  That is why when you asked if I was kidding I said 'yes'.

I thought that was some sort of meta-sarcasm. :blush:

Neil

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2009, 10:15:31 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2009, 10:13:53 AM

I don't see how Congress is capable of doing anything else.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on April 16, 2009, 10:24:21 AM
Then they should do nothing with regards to it. :)

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2009, 10:26:21 AM

If congress simply "did nothing" in general, we'd all be better off.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2009, 10:26:21 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 16, 2009, 10:24:21 AM
To be seen to do nothing is unacceptable.  That's how politics works.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Quote from: Neil on April 16, 2009, 10:32:59 AMTo be seen to do nothing is unacceptable.  That's how politics works.

Isn't there some way in which they could posture, seemingly doing a lot, but not actually doing anything at all?  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Quote from: Berkut on April 16, 2009, 10:07:35 AM
Quote from: KRonn on April 16, 2009, 08:19:18 AM
Yep, this investigation is needed; maybe find some worthy business people as candidates for Gitmo.   :cool:
When this first broke I wrote my Congressman letting him know that, among other things, I expect Congress to be investigating itself and their mistakes, and any culpability for failure, negligence, or even possible criminal/ethical wrong doings by Congress members in the financial meltdowns. Same as needs to be done for business.

This "investigation" will not take one single look at any members of Congress. And if they do, it will be completely politically motivated.

So it will simply amount to yet another populist witch hunt of the Evil Business People. Which, of course, is what Pelosi/Reed/et al wants. Get the rabble all fired up and it isn't that hard to convince them that the solution is to take more power away from the Evil Business People and concentrate it into the hands of those who only want what is best for the poor, oppressed masses.
Ah well, we will need a lot more tea parties then, in order for Congress (all parties) to get the message. 

I already told my Congress man to speak out against the witch hunts, and to prevent the silly investigations they did that caused such witch hunts, back when the AIG families were targeted. I guess so what perhaps, but I figured I'd tell him rather than just complain about it.

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on April 16, 2009, 11:05:52 AM
Ah well, we will need a lot more tea parties then, in order for Congress (all parties) to get the message. 

I am not interested in wasting time with Tea.  I saw we toss Congress into Boston Harbor instead this time.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: PDH on April 16, 2009, 10:06:10 AM
My solution - I think we should kill everyone with more money than me, then make a throne of skulls for me to sit on.
You are truly a great man. -_-

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2009, 11:08:14 AM
Quote from: KRonn on April 16, 2009, 11:05:52 AM

I am not interested in wasting time with Tea.  I saw we toss Congress into Boston Harbor instead this time.
Enviro laws wouldn't let the harbor be so polluted.   ;)

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 10:54:07 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 16, 2009, 10:32:59 AMTo be seen to do nothing is unacceptable.  That's how politics works.

Isn't there some way in which they could posture, seemingly doing a lot, but not actually doing anything at all?  :(
That's what witchhunting is all about.