The Obama "To Make Important Statement" MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, May 01, 2011, 09:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on May 07, 2011, 02:08:48 PM
Whatever. I'm not one of those who cared that Bin Laden was killed or anything.
Make up you mind:
Quote from: Josephus on May 07, 2011, 10:34:40 AM
And we've become a bit more like them, cheering and shouting USA when some Arab dies, reminiscent of what they do when they kill an American pilot.
When you use the first-person plural, are you one of the "we" to which you refer, or do you just not understand the language very well?

Or was this all rhetorical bullshit, never meant as anything but a troll?

Now, I didn't cheer and shout, nor did we cheer and shout, and I thought that those who were chanting "USA" were being tacky in the extreme, but there are people who do tacky shit in the world and like to feel part of good happenings they didn't really contribute to.  See any crowd after their team wins a World Cup.  That's just people.

I was certainly happy that OBL got whacked, and all his plotting to kill me and mine got whacked with him.  If that makes me a bad person in your eyes, that's fine with me.  Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 07, 2011, 02:54:18 PM
Sure, and every time Allied troops in WWII cheered the downing of a Stuka or the sinking of a Uboat they became a little more like Hitler and contributed to the eventual Nazi victory.
Indeed.  Hitler may be dead, but he still won the war.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on May 07, 2011, 04:19:12 PM
Sure, and every time Allied troops in WWII cheered the downing of a Stuka or the sinking of a Uboat they became a little more like Hitler and contributed to the eventual Nazi victory.

ORLY? Have you seen the photo?  :rolleyes:

citizen k

Quote from: Slargos on May 07, 2011, 04:51:40 PM

Ed Anger

Quote from: citizen k on May 07, 2011, 05:29:14 PM
Quote from: Slargos on May 07, 2011, 04:51:40 PM

*wank*
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on May 07, 2011, 04:17:31 PMI was certainly happy that OBL got whacked, and all his plotting to kill me and mine got whacked with him.  If that makes me a bad person in your eyes, that's fine with me.  Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

This should be on a bronze plaque somewhere.

Razgovory

I see nothing wrong with cheering the death of a mass murderer.  He was a nasty piece of work and if given the chance he probably would have killed me and everyone else on this board just to inspire fear.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on May 07, 2011, 10:34:40 AM
I mean, he may be dead, but he still won the war.

America is trillions in debt. Most spent on a war in the wrong country.
Travelling by train but especially by plane, has become the largest pain in the arse.
Our civil liberties have been taken away.
And we've become a bit more like them, cheering and shouting USA when some Arab dies, reminiscent of what they do when they kill an American pilot.

Osama is laughing with all those virgins  in his grave or belly of the whale or wherever his body is.

After we just gave up our civil liberties, trillions of dollars, and ease of transportation to get this guy you find it surprising we are happy the whole thing actually ended up happening?  We are not made of stone you know :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on May 07, 2011, 11:17:52 PM
After we just gave up our civil liberties, trillions of dollars, and ease of transportation to get this guy you find it surprising we are happy the whole thing actually ended up happening?  We are not made of stone you know :P

Valmy, you can't reach Weenies.  Just can't.

Besides, we've been through all this before...the deficits...the unnecessary wars...the loss of civil liberties.  And you know what?  We got over it.  And the world is still better off without the Soviet Union.

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 07, 2011, 11:59:12 PM

Besides, we've been through all this before...the deficits...the unnecessary wars...the loss of civil liberties.  And you know what?  We got over it.  And the world is still better off without the Soviet Union.

Have you even been to the Soviet Union? It was glorious.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: dps on May 07, 2011, 02:29:05 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 07, 2011, 02:17:18 PM
Silly foreigner. We'd never celebrate the World Cup.

Or win it, I suppose.

Eh, figured I get that one in before one of the Euroweenies did.

I was going to point out that all of Josephus' points were counter-factual, but then I remembered that he's in Britian, so I guess he does have a valid point about civil liberties.

Josephus is Maltese-Canadian. :Canuck:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Britian is  like in-between Malta and Canada!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 07, 2011, 11:59:12 PM

Besides, we've been through all this before...the deficits...the unnecessary wars...the loss of civil liberties.  And you know what?  We got over it.  And the world is still better off without Hitler.

Besides, we've been through all this before...the deficits...the unnecessary wars...the loss of civil liberties.  And you know what?  We got over it.  And the world is still better off without the Kaiser.

Besides, we've been through all this before...the deficits...the unnecessary wars...the loss of civil liberties.  And you know what?  We got over it.  And the world is still better off without slavery.

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on May 08, 2011, 08:49:51 AM
Besides, we've been through all this before...the deficits...the unnecessary wars...the loss of civil liberties.  And you know what?  We got over it.  And the world is still better off without the Kaiser.
Maybe.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Quote from: Neil on May 08, 2011, 09:15:05 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 08, 2011, 08:49:51 AM
Maybe.

Maybe? Hitler >>>> Kaiser
Women want me. Men want to be with me.