Examination Techniques for Further Education History Exams ?

Started by jamesww, May 01, 2011, 03:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesww

My friend's elder son will soon be taking his A level history exams, what practical advice do you have to give regarding modern exams and techniques applicable to history exams taken by 18 year olds ?

For my part this isn't special pleading for a adequately supported middle class student in a reasonably well regarded school/6th form; his difficulties are because of his late birthday he's was just two weeks off being in lower year group and is also slightly behind in his academic development. 

As I understand it, in the past it would have been acceptable to redo the final year, but nowadays, it appears UK schools really are exam factories and there's no change of spending an extra year doing the exams again, they don't get funding for that.

Now he and his parents are somewhat up up against it, as he needs to do reasonably well in his history A level as a backup source of points for his university entrance, just in case he should have a disaster in one of his other three subjects, which are the where the main effort is being made.

He doesn't intend to do history at college/university, and I'm not seeking advice that will infect him with the 'history bug', you know the one some of us here have. So in one sense I'm almost asking for a bluffers guide to history, but I for a 'good cause'.

I've yet to find the exact syllabus, the UK education sites are a bit confusing, but the final two exams are each 1.5 hrs and ask one mandatory question and the students 2nd question is a choice from two.  The subject areas are know in advance, I think the first exam is US policy in SE Asia/Vietnam and the 2nd exam is civil rights in the USA and/or N.Ireland ( I think this may be wrong but will check)

I'll attempt to post links to the actual syllabus when I find them. 

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

White people scourged the Earth between 1492 and 1945.  That's modern history in a nutshell.

Also, we built really cool tanks and airplanes and threw them against each other.  That part was pretty awesome.  Make sure if he writes an essay, he mentions how tanks and airplanes are really cool.  No real World War II historian will admit it, but it's the very foundation of their profession.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

LaCroix

Quotehis difficulties are because of his late birthday he's was just two weeks off being in lower year group and is also slightly behind in his academic development.

that poor lost soul, woe is he

anyway, couldn't he just study like everyone else?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on May 01, 2011, 05:10:41 PM
White people scourged the Earth between 1492 and 1945.  That's modern history in a nutshell.

Columbus didn't start the fire. It's been burning since the world's been turning.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Richard Hakluyt

My eldest informs me that you have to toe the line, give the examiners the "correct" answer.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on May 01, 2011, 05:10:41 PM

We were not impressed with how much the Mongols left unscourged.  Amateurs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

When I did it I was told it was far more about writing bollocks about the sources in the exam paper and how biased they might or might not be rather than actually showing you know your stuff.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

When I was trained as an exam machine, the first step was always to take the full length exam under conditions as close to the actual exam as possible.  THEN study.  This way you'll know what to look for.  Then take the exam again (different quesitons, same format).  Then study again.  There must be a gazillion past exam questions or exam practice books out there.  Buy every book out there and do them all. 

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on May 02, 2011, 10:36:08 AM
When I was trained as an exam machine, the first step was always to take the full length exam under conditions as close to the actual exam as possible.  THEN study.  This way you'll know what to look for.  Then take the exam again (different quesitons, same format).  Then study again.  There must be a gazillion past exam questions or exam practice books out there.  Buy every book out there and do them all. 

Seems a bit overkill to write out answers for every exam question ever asked.  I'm not even sure that would really improve one's writing skills - and more importantly test taking.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on May 02, 2011, 10:40:56 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 02, 2011, 10:36:08 AM

Seems a bit overkill to write out answers for every exam question ever asked.  I'm not even sure that would really improve one's writing skills - and more importantly test taking.

Well, it's the only way to be sure.  You may know the material - but if you aren't used to writing out the answers, you may not know how much time you have, what the optimal format of the answer should be, etc.  It also gives the student confidence.  If he has done the deed 100 times, he'll be sure that he can do the same thing one more time when it counts. 

At least, that was how my school did it.  And my school is well known for producing a very high number of As in a largely British system of testing. 

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on May 02, 2011, 10:47:51 AM
Well, it's the only way to be sure.  You may know the material - but if you aren't used to writing out the answers, you may not know how much time you have, what the optimal format of the answer should be, etc.  It also gives the student confidence.  If he has done the deed 100 times, he'll be sure that he can do the same thing one more time when it counts. 

At least, that was how my school did it.  And my school is well known for producing a very high number of As in a largely British system of testing. 

I could see how that might make sense for a multiple choice exam...but I don't really see how that works for an essay writing exam unless the practice exam books just have "perfect" essays listed as the answers. I don't know, but I'd think they'd just list the key points and the rubric (like topic sentence first sentence in each paragraph, etc.). If my assumption was correct, that doesn't seem like repeating it 100 times or more would be helpful. You could just read the rubric. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Maybe Mono's teachers graded 100 essays for every student? :bleeding:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on May 02, 2011, 11:18:58 AMI don't really see how that works for an essay writing exam unless the practice exam books just have "perfect" essays listed as the answers.

The law school versions do just have "perfect" essays listed as the answers.  I couldn't really recommend copying them out, though; doing your own essay, then reading the sample answer seems like a better plan.  I do highly recommend any sort of sample question / answer book though.