How Many Mississippi Voters Wish the South Had Won the Civil War?

Started by jimmy olsen, April 28, 2011, 09:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on April 29, 2011, 10:09:16 AM
This is exactly what Texas does for the 'Six Flags Over Texas'.  We never use the battle flag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_flags_over_Texas

Individuals don't do this much though, do they?  I'm guessing there are relatively few Texans who fly the confederate flag at all, given the propensity to display the Texas flag.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on April 29, 2011, 10:09:16 AM
This is exactly what Texas does for the 'Six Flags Over Texas'.  We never use the battle flag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_flags_over_Texas

That looks like some podunk African flag. Meh.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 29, 2011, 10:14:14 AM
Individuals don't do this much though, do they?  I'm guessing there are relatively few Texans who fly the confederate flag at all, given the propensity to display the Texas flag.

People do fly the Six Flags though.  We have them waving above football stadiums and such across the State.  But hardly anybody knows it is a Confederate Flag we are flying because well...it is the Stars and Bars.

For example it is not uncommon to have something like this on your desk:

And people in East Texas, where southern identity is strongest, do fly the Confederate Flag but not nearly as often as they used to of course.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 29, 2011, 10:05:05 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on April 28, 2011, 09:58:43 PM
The South has fallen pretty far to come up with only these numbers, but this is enough patriots to form the basis for independence.

Likewise, going by the handful of Mississippians I know (Scippy being the lone exception), I'm surprised it's not worse than this.

For those that did wish the South had won, I think that's just some residual sentimentality and an expression of regional pride more than a deep-seeded desire for a Confederacy.  I think if most of them thought through all the ramifications (or were forced to live through them), they'd be less likely to long for it.

I do get a kick out of having a southern redneck-type explain to me how they reconcile their US patriotism with their propensity to fly or display the confederate flag. 

Btw, with all the controversy surrounding the confederate flag, I think a great compromise would be for southerners to switch to the actual first national flag ("Stars & Bars") of the Confederacy rather than the battle flag.  That way, they'd still get to display their Confederate pride or whatever, and hardly anyone else would have a clue as to what the hell the flag represents.

Well, about 20% in that poll also opposed interracial marriage.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Quote from: Tyr on April 29, 2011, 07:41:34 AM
The South has fallen pretty far to come up with only these numbers, but this is enough patriots to form the basis for independence.
A minority?
Its not really.

What do you think the percentage of Americans supporting the American War of Independence were?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on April 29, 2011, 10:28:24 AM
Well, about 20% in that poll also opposed interracial marriage.

That is also lower than I would expect.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on April 29, 2011, 11:01:00 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 29, 2011, 07:41:34 AM
A minority?
Its not really.

What do you think the percentage of Americans supporting the American War of Independence were?
Percentage of Americans?

100% of course. :P
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Significantly more than the third that is frequently claimed.

Habbaku

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 29, 2011, 11:41:19 AM

Significantly more than the third that is frequently claimed.

Link?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Habbaku

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 29, 2011, 11:51:41 AM
http://hnn.us/articles/5641.html

That article is long on verbiage and very short on the actual issue.  It seems to assume that the sole source of the 1/3 number is a letter written by Adams, then doesn't go on to provide any sources contradicting the number itself.

Why did you think that link would suffice, exactly?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Habbaku on April 29, 2011, 12:12:04 PM
Why did you think that link would suffice, exactly?

Because I don't care overmuch and because it beats the link you've offered to contradict it. :mellow:

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on April 29, 2011, 10:19:43 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 29, 2011, 10:14:14 AM

People do fly the Six Flags though.  We have them waving above football stadiums and such across the State.  But hardly anybody knows it is a Confederate Flag we are flying because well...it is the Stars and Bars.

I know.  And when I send the bombers, so will all of you.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

I'm not Lettow's biggest fan around here, but he kind of hast a point.

By the early 20th century, it was generally held that people have a right to national self-determination.  How many new countries have come into being in the mean time?  and while generally the new countries have come from the break up of more or less authoritarian states, that ahs not always been the case - the dissolution of Czechoslovakia being the most obvious.

Now applying modern standards to 1861 (somewhat problematic, but here you go) there are two problems with southern succession.  The biggest problem being the lack of any national referendum, which is pretty much universally seen as necessary.  The second problem, going along with the first, was the lack of any rights to the very significant black / slave population.  We generally held South Africa to be less than a true democracy for just this reason.

Nevertheless, if due to orbiting mind control lasers or some other equally improbable circumstance, a majority of southerners voted in favour of re-creating the CSA I can't see how the USA would have any moral or legal right to stand in their way.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on April 29, 2011, 02:10:49 PM
I know.  And when I send the bombers, so will all of you.

Just think I have to endure not one but TWO Bourbon royal flags all over my State :grr:

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."