How Many Mississippi Voters Wish the South Had Won the Civil War?

Started by jimmy olsen, April 28, 2011, 09:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 28, 2011, 10:23:07 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 28, 2011, 10:21:33 PM
Secession is contrary to the principles of Democracy.

How so?

A Democracy is meaningless if you can simply opt when laws are passed you don't like.  A government, any government, has to be able to force people to comply with the law.  Secession obstructs that.  Even the Confederate recognized this and did not allow States to secede from the CSA.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Lettow, do you live in Clarksville TN, or anywhere near the I-24?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on April 28, 2011, 10:36:17 PM

Talk some sense in the boy,  Maybe Lettow could join the army.  Would probably do him some good.  Maybe the Navy would be better. :hmm:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lettow77

Unfortunately, Martin is at the solid western corner of the state. We are separated by just under 100 miles, or i'd be delighted to meet you.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Valmy

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 28, 2011, 10:20:34 PM
also, it's disheartening y'all actually speak approvingly of attacking people who support breaking off from the union- whither democracy?

In 1861 55% of the population of Mississippi were slaves.  Real Democratic there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Lettow77

They weren't citizens of the state- they had no role in the democracy, and were hardly unique in this respect.

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on April 28, 2011, 10:40:36 PM
Quote from: Siege on April 28, 2011, 10:36:17 PM

Talk some sense in the boy,  Maybe Lettow could join the army.  Would probably do him some good.  Maybe the Navy would be better. :hmm:

I don't think Lettuce have what it takes to survive infantry basic training.
Let alone all the other shit we have to go through to enhance and maintain our combat skills.

Lettow77

That's quite fine. I am a gentleman of letters- I could die bravely, I think, but I would never be a good soldier. Not enough discipline, or physical endurance either.

I think with some preparation I sure could get through basic, but i'll leave the posturing to you. You are one of this century's valiant warriors, after all :3

Siege

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 28, 2011, 11:23:41 PM
That's quite fine. I am a gentleman of letters- I could die bravely, I think, but I would never be a good soldier. Not enough discipline, or physical endurance either.

I think with some preparation I sure could get through basic, but i'll leave the posturing to you. You are one of this century's valiant warriors, after all :3

Actually, I see myself as a last century soldier.
I do not consider myself a warrior, since "warrior" in my original little corner of the world mean undisciplined dudes with weapons.
I am a professional of the sword, I do this for a living. I am a professional soldier.
I live by the rules, the "profession of arms", and the US Army values.

Can you survive basic training?
Of course. It is not that hard.
It is your mental actitud which I doubt.
You see, there is no room for the Confederancy in the real world.
Any wanna-be Timothy McVeigh will be crushed.

The Army will either make you a better human being, or break you.
You will be either be willing to fucking DIE for your fellow soldiers, to your left or right,
or you will descend into shit and drugs and find yourself chaptered out of the Army
with an dishonorable discharge, with no benefits and no GI Bill.

Lettow77

I have heard the soldier vs warrior thing before. From you, actually.

Timothy McVeigh wannabe? thats uh..an accusation, I guess :unsure:

Anyway, talking about willingness to die so excitably is great, and I don't doubt -you- mean it, but please understand you fight in a pretty incredible army with incredibly low casualties. Sure, be prepared to die, but also realize so many of you actually will.

I am not sure you'd last on the somme, siege. Or rather, I am sure you wouldn't.

Habbaku

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 28, 2011, 11:50:56 PM
I am not sure you'd last on the somme, siege. Or rather, I am sure you wouldn't.

If there is anyone on this board that would be capable of having the "Jolly-Good, Can-Do" attitude towards almost-certain death in order to accomplish a military goal laid before him, Siege is it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Lettow77

Yeah, I conceded as much in my post. I certainly believe his talk.

That still doesn't change the fact that he wouldn't last in the Somme, though. The American Army doesn't ask impossible situations of its soldiers where the only option is to die, fortunately enough.

Siege

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 28, 2011, 11:50:56 PM

But that's the whole point.
If you want to survive, you'll hesitate when the time comes and die faster.
Believe me, there is no weapon on Earth that can kill me.
Do you know why?
Because I believe my cause is greater than my life.
Islam is the greatest enemy humankind have ever faced.
Muslims are drones, they have no sense of individuality.
They blindly follow their leaders.
They blindly follow a dude that by today standards would be a mass murderer.

But if we do not stop Islam, Islam will conquer our homes, it will infiltrate our democracies, our way of life.
We have no choice but to fight.
We did not chose this war.
We did not start this war.
But if we do not succeed in this war, there will be no "us" anymore.

It is up to you.
Do you want your children to be drones?
Do you want your granddaughters to wear hijab?
They will feel ashamed of the old pictures of their grandparents.

Do you think Egypt was always a muslim state?
It was part of the Eastern Roman Empire, what we call The Byzantine Empire.

Look at Egypt today.
That is what the muslims want for us.

Shall we bow to their wishes?

Lettow77

Er, Siege, you realize resolving to die does not make you invincible, right?

I sure hope you don't drink your own kool-aid as much as it seems. Muslims are not either drones. It isn't that simple. 

Do you think Egypt was always part of the Byzantine Empire?

Siege

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 29, 2011, 12:14:21 AM
Er, Siege, you realize resolving to die does not make you invincible, right?

I sure hope you don't drink your own kool-aid as much as it seems. Muslims are not either drones. It isn't that simple. 

Do you think Egypt was always part of the Byzantine Empire?

The people that conquered Egypt before Islam are not our enemies today.
Islam is.
Keep yourself grounded.

And the resolve to win no matter what, its your best chance for survival.
Hesitation will only get you killed, you and your buddies.

Do not overstimate the battle of somme.
Lots of soldiers died there, but lots of soldiers did survive.

The diference between you and me, is that you think caution can save your skin.