News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

I don't have it, but have played it.  Didn't care for it at the time, but can't condemn it easily without more plays.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

What, in your brief examination, were the issues?

Habbaku

Fuck if I remember.  I played it once very shortly after it was release.  I just recall generic boredom.  That and I was able to point out some errata after a single read through the rulebook, which always annoys the hell out of me.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

I figured it just didn't appeal to your card sharkism.   :P

Habbaku

The GMT folder just had a nice brew-up over the Labyrinth expansion.  The designer apparently wanted to include a card representing the death of Kayla Mueller, complete with her picture front and center. :yuk:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 12, 2015, 01:04:41 AM
I can't speak to that particular title--Habbaku may have it--but it seems to have a happy following over at BGG (Dave Dockter, Mr. Triumph of Chaos himself, wrote a glowing review), and Compass does make decent stuff, production-wise.

Saw that review :)
Was very relieved to see his biggest complaint was insufficient chrome.   :lol:
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

It is a very chrome-light game, aye.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 12, 2015, 04:06:16 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 12, 2015, 01:04:41 AM
I can't speak to that particular title--Habbaku may have it--but it seems to have a happy following over at BGG (Dave Dockter, Mr. Triumph of Chaos himself, wrote a glowing review), and Compass does make decent stuff, production-wise.

Saw that review :)
Was very relieved to see his biggest complaint was insufficient chrome.   :lol:

Well, it is Dave Dockter.  A '61 Imperial has insufficient chrome for him.

11B4V

The Crimean War game arrived from Poland.

NK sent SPI's Crimean War Quad too.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Habbaku

B4, do you play with locals or something? How much gaming do you typically get in during the month? Or are you like Seedy?  :P

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on February 17, 2015, 05:32:01 PM
Or are you like Seedy?  :P

I'm sure that, much like Seedy, he can tell you to go fuck yourself.

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

Quote from: Habbaku on February 17, 2015, 05:58:47 PM
But would he?  :hmm:

I'm nicer.

I have very little time to drive 50+ miles to a game group. I solo a lot. I'm currently on a tac ACW, Franco Prussian, Crimea, and SA War kick. I hope Herman keeps going with his system.

Poles did a good job. Nice production.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

FedEx just made a correct delivery of Monster Island. 300 pages of Runequesty goodness.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.