News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Solmyr on February 11, 2013, 05:32:35 PM
What, did some GMT game portray 1930s China as disunited?

Could be Russians, no?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

The A rating of many Swedish blocks does provide an incentive to be historically aggressive, but a prudent Swedish player will be cautiously aggressive - somewhat oxymoronic, perhaps, but you'll see how it works in the game. In contrast, the historical Karl XII was crazy-aggressive

This can be a major problem in a lot of wargames--players tend to not be as aggressive as their historical counterparts.  Sure, wargamers will criticize McClellan or Montgomery for being too risk-adverse, but in actual play, they'll be even more cautious.  And a lot of the tools available to designers to try to encourage historical play are a bit heavy-handed, to say the least:  "The Swedes don't attack Poltava in your game?  Make it worth 500 VPs for them to capture!"

Tamas

Here is the thing. you can plan as hard as you want, if the dice are against you in Empire of the Sun, you can fuck it and be mowed down by the Japs.

Not sure what to think of the game.

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 13, 2013, 09:13:18 AM
Hey Hab or anybody else;  anyone have GMT's Pax Baltica?  I'm sure a few Euros must have it considering the topic.  Interested in thoughts on it.

Own the non-GMT version. Haven't played it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

War Of The Suns hit its pre-order number.  It's officially on its way.

Habbaku

I've had that one on preorder for a couple of years now.  I might get a second one for resale bait when it comes out.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Yeah, I don't see stock lasting longer than a year, tops.  And you know how MMP loves to reprint.  :lol:

Habbaku

Adam threw the combat sequence up on facebook and BGG.  Looks pretty involved in a good way. :)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

The Larch

Played a scenario of "Strike of the Eagle" (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/83734/strike-of-the-eagle), a wargame set up during the Polish-Soviet 1920 war. Pretty funny how some wargame stereotypes are common in any war involving Russia and whoever is invading it from the west, the invaders (doesn't matter if it's Napoleon, the German Empire, Poland or the Nazis) always have the white on black counters (better troops, equipment and leadership), but are finally drowned in a sea of bodies.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on February 23, 2013, 04:54:50 PM
Finnally found a copy of Federation Space

http://e23.sjgames.com/

Now there was a fun game as a slightly nerdy teenager. Especially if you could get 5 players. Backstabbing ahoy!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

I've been thinking about a concept for a boardgame; now I've had an idea about how I can implement game mechanics.

How much of my time shall I waste on this product, given that something like one in 15-20 general boardgames have any success ? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Pooping Outside: a collectible card game
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive