News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

Any of you guys played Corps Command: Dawn's Early Light http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38471/corps-command-dawns-early-light or any of the World at War games http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25729/world-at-war-eisenbach-gap? Would anyone recommend one of them over the other? I have a hankering for some WW3 action (though I doubt either game can be well-balanced; I have it on good authority that a Soviet T-72 formation can cut through an American armored division like a hot knife through bullshit).
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

CountDeMoney

Ed's got Dawn's Early Light, so I can't speak to that; I've got most of the WAW games (except the one in the US, that's just fucking stupid--nobody games Red Dawn :mad:), and while they're not nearly as meatier as MBT, they still drill down to the tactical level.  Cool thing is, you can futz around with a variety of nationalities, like the Belgians, Canucks, Poles and Swedetards. 

Very light rules-wise, good components (the maps are mounted) and counters (even though Ed hates the font and thinks they're too "busy"), but it's a nice little system to burn your brain out with.  The rules system allows you to get as chromey  as you want, like air power and landmines, so it's only as deep as you want it to be.

Not a bad system, very scenario-driven.   My fave is Blood & Bridges;  BOAR, bitches.  Death of the 1st Panzer is a neat little expansion, too.

11B4V

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/57937/the-doomsday-project

Dont know if I can justify to myself getting this on a topic that never happened.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Habbaku

I'll pre-order it if it ever hits the P500 list, but I don't expect to ever see it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

I have faith in the popularity of Starkweather stuff;  I could see it moving fast on the P500 parade.

Then again, it is MMP.  You guys been following the BBG MMP-bash-a-thon?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/833250/whats-going-on-with-mmp

11B4V

Quoteyour company needs to print that game, or risk jeopardizing customer trust in the whole P500 system.

What a moron. The days of SPI like printing of games just to print games is long over. Companies would go belly-up in no time.

btw just order Panzer '44, Mechwar '77, and October War. A very definition of why SPI went tits up in my opinion.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tamas

I have ordered the new Thunderbolt Apache Leader solitaire game (from the UGG shop). I really like the latest edition of Hornet Leader, I read this one is even better.

11B4V

I hate  browsing BGG.  :mad: I see stuff like this and want to start making counters to update the game.

11B4V

I kind of went off the deep end this month...

Panzer, MBT, IDF, Panzer '44, MechWar '77, October War, Crisis: Sinai, White Death, Suez '73.  :blush:

and yes Seedy, I pre-ordered the II SS Panzer sector from Chris.   :menace:

and I like the Totenkopf guys.......

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on July 29, 2012, 01:53:53 AM
I kind of went off the deep end this month...

Panzer, MBT, IDF, Panzer '44, MechWar '77, October War, Crisis: Sinai, White Death, Suez '73.  :blush:

Yeah, I've gone off the deep end as well the last two months.  Too many titles available + too many job rejections = depression-based impulse buying.

Where'd you score the Crisis: Sinai from?  How much did it set you back?  I know it's been sorta tough to find the last couple years.

Quoteand yes Seedy, I pre-ordered the II SS Panzer sector from Chris.   :menace:

and I like the Totenkopf guys.......

That doesn't surprise me.  You strike as a Totenkopf kinda guy.  :P

Ed Anger

The counters are extra white on black for them.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 29, 2012, 07:41:45 AM

Where'd you score the Crisis: Sinai from?  How much did it set you back?  I know it's been sorta tough to find the last couple years.

Off BGG. It was 42.00 with ship. 

http://boardgamegeek.com/geekstore.php3?action=listforsale&gameid=2138

Ed Anger

Ordered a bunch of Napoleonic stuff. Mostly Vae Victis stuff that has die cut counters.

MOUNT MY OWN COUNTERS? WHAT IS THIS.... ART CLASS?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 31, 2012, 06:42:10 AM
Ordered a bunch of Napoleonic stuff. Mostly Vae Victis stuff that has die cut counters.

MOUNT MY OWN COUNTERS? WHAT IS THIS.... ART CLASS?

It's not as bad as you think

Tamas

Has anyone ever ordered stuff from UGG.de?

I mean, neither of the two stuff I ordered are designated as out of stock, I ordered on Thursday, and no feedback yet. Yeah, probably at least one IS out of stock, so whatever. But I wrote to them, asking kindly if I will get an "it shipped" e-mail. That was yesterday. No answer.
All I ever got was an auto-message about my order.

Just meh. I could have ordered from the UK for tincy-wincy bit more and they promised to ship the day after ordering. I can't tolerate bad service when there are decent alternatives