News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 06, 2012, 06:29:43 AM
Fucking CoolStuffInc's only problem is updating their calendar days after;  I put in an order on the 3rd, and then yesterday they announced GMT's Next War: Korea in stock.  When?  The fucking 3rd, of course.  Thanks, fellas.

omg they have it for $55? Even with shipping I would only be at its regular $80 price tag.

Too bad I must fiddle with CSI as they dont have Hungary in their shipping cost calculator, and I must set my location as Germany and e-mail them to NOT send it to Fritz.

Maladict

QuoteNew P500 Addition!
Our newest P500 addition is the latest volume (#3) in Volko Ruhnke's COIN Series. A Distant Plain takes 1 to 4 players into the Afghan conflict of today's headlines, this time in a unique collaboration between two top designers of boardgames on modern irregular warfare. A Distant Plain teams Volko Ruhnke, the award-winning designer of LABYRINTH-The War on Terror, with Brian Train, a designer with 20 years' experience creating influential simulations such as Algeria, Somalia Interventions, Shining Path, and many others.

www.gmtgames.com/p-416-a-distant-plain.aspx

CountDeMoney

More GMT
QuoteShipping: We have finished all the P500 and distributor shipping for both Next War: Korea and Red Winter. We have finished all P500 shipping for Ardennes' 44 and Reds, as well as the Dominant Species Card Game, this past Thursday. We'll start distributor shipments mid-week or so this week.

Charging:  We gave the office ladies a three day weekend this weekend, so I held off on the planned July 5-6 charge of Crown of Roses and Panzer. We'll charge those two starting tomorrow, July 9.

Future Charges:

July 19: Bloody April, Panzer Expansions 1 & 2.

I don't see anything on Andean Abyss, though.  :(

Tamas

I discovered that a Hungarian shop is selling Assyrian Wars for cheap, a game I have been eyeing for quite a while.

I have ordered it.  :Embarrass:

It has rules and CB module online, I think what it is missing is scenario particularities.
Sooo, if at least two other people are feeling adventourous maybe we should attempt a PBEM.

Basically, it is Napoleonic Wars (and I mean that, the basic game mechanic is very much the same) with some economy added in, plus various unit abilities if you decide to use the advanced rules (like, by default, an archer unit is a unit which hits on, say, 1-3. With advanced rules, archer units get a separate first round of combat, horse archers get to shoot and retreat, heavy units cause extra losses, that kind of thing).

But the rules are not particularly easy, altough I recon that experience in multiplayer CDGs help a great deal.

CountDeMoney

Grr, Andean Abyss isn't shipping until late July.

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 09, 2012, 10:03:12 AM
Grr, Andean Abyss isn't shipping until late July.

Andy is taking e-mails from those who want to pick theirs up at WBC.   ;)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Got my Kingdom of Heaven shipping notice! :yeah:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on July 09, 2012, 10:20:16 AM
Got my Kingdom of Heaven shipping notice! :yeah:

Nice!  As soon as MMP opens up the orders for it, I'm pulling the trigger.  Really should get off my ass and do more pre-pub orders;  Ed's still accepting pre-pub orders for Fontenoy over at COA.

Chatted with GMT over the intrawebs;  they're still accepting the P500 price for Andean Abyss.  I figure what the hell.  Already did enough damage with CoolStuffInc today for Korea and some other goodies, might as well spread the love.

Tamas

I very much regret for ignoring the nerd drooling you people did here. Both Kingdom of Heaven, and Next War: Korea look neat :(

Habbaku

Seriously, Kingdom of Heaven is an excellent topic, has a good pedigree (CDG family) and comes from a designer who is known as an excellent player of CDGs (Scott de Brestian) so might realize a few of the major pitfalls to avoid.

That it comes with nine different scenarios is the best part, though.  The variability between the scenarios and the different cards used for each ensures a very healthy amount of replay value.  I'll be playing the shit out of it at WBC, most likely.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Dude, put up your team's roster already.

Tamas

so I have properly read the Assyrian Wars rules and set it up to gaze at the map and counters. Going to do a solitaire test, too.

I think the lot of initial grief over the rules must have been resolved with the 1.3 version of them (which was also the one in the box btw). At least I had no major problems.
However, there are little expection rules, For the People style, so multiple noobs sitting down to a table to tackle a campaign? Ugh that must take a while.

But as I said, the core of the game is Napoleonic Wars, with economy added. Your cities, and your trade (you can place land traders to the trade box and/or place raiders there, and move your ships to trade zones), and tribute give you an income level, which gives you a number of CPs you get each impulse.
And you play a card. You either use it to buff your CP count with it's CP value, or you play the event, but the event has a CP cost you must pay from your income. So you do get to do less if you play an event.

There are more minors to influence than in Nappy Wars of course (btw, the two jewish states get to be influence for half price :D ).

Also, while the advanced unit rules give you a minor batch of more small rules to remember, and you certainly have a good dose of that anyway, I think they are great. Heavy Infantry can really hurt stuff, and if you mass enough of them, they decrease the efficiency of missile troops. You can be potentially really annoying with a force of exclusively horse archers or chariots (altough chariots can only ambush if accompanied by at least some horse archers). The number available of the various types depend on the countries of course.
Also there are mercenaries, of which you get a random bunch each turn you can hire.

Sooo, the game certainly aims to be a playable simulation of the era, and I think it succeeds, but barely, and is not for the faint of hearth. 

I would still be interested in a PBEM attempt of it however. Deporting masses of Jews to boost your economy fits Languish well.

Tamas

and more importantly, is Coolstuffinc going to have Kingdom of Heaven?

At the worst possible timing, I have got my new card for my USD account which still has like a couple hundred bucks.  :ph34r:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on July 11, 2012, 04:44:23 AM
and more importantly, is Coolstuffinc going to have Kingdom of Heaven?

Probably, but not for a while.  MMP isn't the most friendliest to wholesalers and distributors.  They're not exactly a priority for MMP.