News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The NEW New Boardgames Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 21, 2011, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

I think Cyberboard is easier for PBEM, VASSAL is more for TCIP/IP play.

VASSAL is perfectly fine for PBEM as well, but the whole interface screams that it wasnt made for it.

Plus, VASSAL installs itself so it is easily identifiable on work computers, unlike Cyberboard which you just copy there and nobody knows.  :ph34r:

Solmyr

Quote from: Tamas on June 13, 2012, 06:34:40 AM
Plus, VASSAL installs itself so it is easily identifiable on work computers, unlike Cyberboard which you just copy there and nobody knows.  :ph34r:

:ph34r:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on June 13, 2012, 06:34:40 AM
I think Cyberboard is easier for PBEM, VASSAL is more for TCIP/IP play.

Yup.

Solmyr

Btw Tamas, we need one more for our HIS game, you should join. You might even pwn us noobs. :P

Maladict

Quote from: Warspite on June 12, 2012, 05:21:47 PM
I would like to buy a friend a copy of Axis and Allies for their birthday - which is the best edition to get?

Should I just go for the most recent one I can find (eg, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Avalon-Hill-HAS25066-Axis-Allies/dp/B0026J3PO6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339538776&sr=8-1)

As I understand it the 50th Anniversary Edition is the most complete, the 1942 version is less complex and has a smaller map.
Then you have Europe 1940 and Pacific 1940 (the 1940 is important, there are also two version named Europe and Pacific), which can be combined to form a huge game. I've only played the combined game, which was a lot of fun, but I believe they are quite good separately as well.

Maladict

1989 was a lot of fun. The two games we played were wildly different, in the first the commies were barely dented at all and auto-won by turn 7 or so, in the second they won again but only on a single VP and after an utter slugfest from start to finish. Every square counts in this game, something I don't recall happening in my admittedly few games playing TS. The power struggle mechanic is not that special in itself but it does add a lot of tension because of what is at stake. I think I'll pick 1989 over TS for some time to come.

Habbaku

Here's an interview with Ed Beach (designer of Here I Stand and Virgin Queen) about his other (day-job) design :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGNI8UqN6MA
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on June 18, 2012, 07:29:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGNI8UqN6MA

I bet she likes to be punched in the face and then fucked on roll of 5 or 6 on the Attrition CRT.

garbon

I've only watched the first few seconds so far, but wow they were plugging hard in that vid for why girls get little respect.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on June 18, 2012, 07:38:23 PM
I've only watched the first few seconds so far, but wow they were plugging hard in that vid for why girls get little respect.

Yeah, her glancing multiple times to the back to double-check what she's reporting/interviewing on is...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Maladict on June 17, 2012, 10:57:56 AM
1989 was a lot of fun. The two games we played were wildly different, in the first the commies were barely dented at all and auto-won by turn 7 or so, in the second they won again but only on a single VP and after an utter slugfest from start to finish. Every square counts in this game, something I don't recall happening in my admittedly few games playing TS. The power struggle mechanic is not that special in itself but it does add a lot of tension because of what is at stake. I think I'll pick 1989 over TS for some time to come.

That's pretty interesting to hear, Mal.  Let us know when you knock out another 10 or so games, see how the replay value is for 1989, as opposed to TS.

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 19, 2012, 06:48:46 AM
Quote from: Maladict on June 17, 2012, 10:57:56 AM

That's pretty interesting to hear, Mal.  Let us know when you knock out another 10 or so games, see how the replay value is for 1989, as opposed to TS.

But what is this bullshit of buying influence in cities? It was never, never a geographical struggle in the small-ish states of eastern europe. EVER.

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on June 19, 2012, 06:51:49 AM
But what is this bullshit of buying influence in cities? It was never, never a geographical struggle in the small-ish states of eastern europe. EVER.

The spaces are not cities like they were countries in TS. They represent the various parts of the population.
One of the spaces in Poland is called "Catholic Church", another "Polish Writers". I suppose they could have put in a Polish Bureaucrats and Polish Workers space as well, but they called them Warsaw and Gdansk instead (they still are bureaucrat and worker spaces) to make the map resemble, well, a map.

And to appease overreacting Hungarians, they put a card in that lets you obliterate a space of your choice in Romania :)

Tamas

call them bureaucrats and workers spaces then, not cities. :P Stupid :P Especially in Hungary :P